[NL2-NL10] NL 25 SSS AK pre-flop difficulties

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Today I chose new strategy, push pre-flop when I have AK. I don´t know how to play with that hand, if there´s at least 4 limpers and if someone calls, I think that I´m pot commited anyway and he would call flop if he has pair. If I push pre-flop then I´m ahead mostly or coinflip with lower pocket pairs, but if there´s already some dead money in the pot, then I should make profit in the long run.

hands:
      1)
      0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:club: , K:club:
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0,25, MP1 calls $0,25, MP2 calls $0,25, 2 folds, BU calls $0,25, Hero raises to $4,75 (All-In), BB folds, UTG+2 calls $4,50, 3 folds.

Flop: ($10,50) 4:diamond: , 2:spade: , 3:heart:
      Turn: ($10,50) 2:club:
      River: ($10,50) J:heart:

Final Pot: $10,50

2)
      0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:diamond: , K:diamond:
      UTG+2 calls $0,25, MP1 calls $0,25, MP2 calls $0,25, MP3 calls $0,25, Hero raises to $4,05 (All-In), 7 folds.

Final Pot: $5,40

3)
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5,30
      MP2:
      $6

0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:heart: , A:heart: . CO posts a blind of $0,25.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $1,25, 4 folds, Hero raises to $3,00, MP2 calls $1,75.

Flop: ($6,35) 6:heart: , 5:spade: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2,30 (All-In), MP2 folds.

Final Pot: $8,65

I think that I should go all-in pre-flop. Flop is quite good for me, but 9TJ flop he would autocall me.

4)
      0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:spade: , A:club:
      UTG+2 raises to $0,50, 3 folds, CO calls $0,50, BU folds, Hero raises to $4,80 (All-In), BB folds, UTG+2 calls $4,30, CO folds.

Flop: ($10,35) 8:club: , 2:club: , 5:heart:
      Turn: ($10,35) T:club:
      River: ($10,35) 2:diamond:

Final Pot: $10,35

I could again re-raise 2$, but that leaves me 2,8$ and I´m pot commited again. Going all-in pre-flop gives me at least all 5 cards and if he calls, then it´s sometimes coinflip (TT-QQ), sometimes I´m ahead (AJ, AQ) and sometimes behind (KK, AA). I don´t think that he is calling mostly with junk hands (66-99). There´s also some dead money in the pot (0,85$), so all-in:P
  • 6 replies
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      1) the standard raise would be 2$ so i think because of your positional disadvantage its good to raise a bit more. i don´t like the all in here. you stack is too big and you will only get called by better hands or hands you have a coinflip against.

2) raise to 2$

3) i would push it preflop. the normal raise would be to 3,75$ and your position is poor.

4) again: normal reraise would be to 1,5$ so raise a bit more because of your position

imho:
      btw: with a normal stack its nearly never a really big mistake to push AK after a raise preflop. but don´t overdo it... especially at the lower limits many guys will call your reraise with AJ or something but fold to your push.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      All of these cases I have to put in at least 2$, which is 2/5 (almost half my stack)- this makes me pot commited? because if someone calls I cant make contibet, only push or fold. Flop can be very dangerous or very good for me and thats poker (2/3rd of the time I don´t hit anything), If I don't hit anything then I never can be sure if he called AJ or 88 and to avoid people calling with 88 I like to push preflop. (with larger stack I still can fold, but with SSS almost every time I have to put my money in imo)
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      because if someone calls I cant make contibet, only push or fold.
      the push IS your contibet :)
      and don´t forget that your opponents will hit the flop only 1 out of 3 times too and then your AK is good often enough.
      i think at these limits its best to just stick to the beginners strategy and i think it says to push if you have to put in 2/3+ of your stack to raise the normal amount. but especially with AK oop i think you can push a bit more :)

its a bit hard for me to explain because a coach like alaton e.g. doesn´t play like the beginners strategy tells him to do :D . but i really think that its the best thing for you when you stick to the strategy. at least until you reach nl50 or get pokertracker/pokerace.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think that SSS is very good, but I like to improve my game, that´s why I try out new things. If someone limps in AA or KK he would go all-in pre-flop and I´m going to call it anyway:) , I could then make note for that player, but AK is a little too good hand to fold it pre-flop:) I´m always happy to take blinds and extra 1-1,5$. Alaton is really not playing beginners strategy and I also don´t like to stick 100% with that strategy (that´s why I raise AQ UTG and check KQ on BB, if there has been 3-4 limpers, because that suggests BSS strating chart)

Have earned 1000 strategy points/ 1000 more to go and then I can improve my game with pokertracker and pokerhud.
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      AQ from utg ? i don´t think you should do that :D
      i raise AQs first in from utg+2 but nothing more :)

but i don´t like to raise KQ from the BB as well. i hate this hand :P . but against most of the limpers its just to strong to check it. pt will help :)

1000 points shouldn´t take too long with the sss ^^
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      UTG is really too risky, UTG+2 and UTG+3 seems okei. there´s also some cases when table is 9 or 8 handed, then AQ becomes better and better. I also like raise AJ MP2+, but lower that than usually don´t go (if there has 2-3 limpers and I have AT in CO I like to fold:) )
      Playing 8-9 tables I usually make 70 PP/hour (only problem that I don´t play more than 1,5 hours:) and I don´t play 7 days a week. So to get next 1000 PP still takes some time.
      Against one limper and SB KQ is fine put when there are two or more limpers I like to check (I´m oop, mostly I don´t hit anything and my hand isn´t very good)