Regarding extensive ID checks..

• darkAI
      darkAI
      Bronze
      The last 3 users which I referred were all asked to provide an ID, which is pretty standard, but all 3 were emailed shortly after and asked to take a picture alongside the ID. All three ended up taking a photo of them holding their ID, but only after some convincing on my part as they were ready to give up the process at that point.

All three were in fact first time users on the platform they were signing up with and it was their first time logging onto PokerStrategy on their computer. They sent an ID showing their name, address and date of birth in a clear and visible manner and still all of them were asked to provide a photo of them holding the ID.

I figured it might be related to the fact that they didn't send photographs of the back of their ID as IDs in my country have nothing written on the back. Could this be the issue?

And is the request to send a photo of them holding the ID completely random or are there certain things that might prompt this check and could be avoided? I always tell the people I refer to take a photo of the ID showing all the information clearly and visibly but still all my last referrals were asked to take an extra ID check. Are there any instructions I can give them that would minimize the chance of this extra hassle? I'm really curious as to why all three, who are completely unrelated one to another, were asked to provide this extra ID check.
  • 6 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkAI
      I'm really curious as to why all three, who are completely unrelated one to another, were asked to provide this extra ID check.
      You've already ruled out the possibility that they are all from the same country? Quite possibly a country where a high number of fraudulent accounts are originating from?

,--- (Wow, glad I got in before the crazy security checks!)
      v
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi darkAI,

The measure you describe are as you mentioned pretty standard nowadays and the additional request of a photo holding the ID is also getting more and more common.

Whilst we appreciate this can be frustrating and inconvient, it is in the interests of both members and PokerStrategy that correct identification is made.

This is a one off process and once passed will not be asked for again.

In terms of advice for yourself on how to prepare your friends/referred people, it might be best to speak to the customer support team who can provide you with some help/guidelines.

Hope this helps, best regards,

Bart
    • darkAI
      darkAI
      Bronze
      2 of them are from my country[With one being from north of the country and one is around the center] and another is from a completely different continent. I wasn't even asked to provide an ID when signing up so I can only hope that my country isn't one of those with a high amount of fraudulent accounts.

Edit: Thanks for the hasty response! I wasn't sure if it's better to ask on the forum or open a support ticket. Will do.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi darkAI,

I just think the support team are better placed to provide you with more informative guidelines.
      Moderators are really just ordinary members ourselves, albeit experienced ones that work closely with the Head Admins of course.

I would of course be happy to try to help with anything where possible, but you will probably be better contacting support in the first instance.

Don't hesitate to shout if I or a fellow Mod can help ;)

Best regards,

Bart

Edit: In case it helps, this is what I generally advise members signing up and already include the part about photo holding the ID, just in case

Hi xxx,

Please forward your ID to the following email:

They would simply need a photo or scan (both sides) of an ID such as a passport or drivers licence in addition to proof of your address/residence (e.g. gas or telephone bill).

If you can ensure that the photos/scans are set to high quality, so that the details on the ID (e.g. name/address/date of birth etc) are clearly readable for our support staff.

What might also be useful is a photo of you holding these documents next to your face too, as I know that this has been requested on occasions. This bit isn't compulsory at the moment, but might save time later if they do ask for it.

Best regards,

Bart
    • darkAI
      darkAI
      Bronze
      Bart, is there any way to contact you in private? It seems the "send message" button on your profile is disabled for me.

The exchange of communication that took place with support was pretty.. well, for lack of a better word - Useless. It certainly wasn't the kind of response I had thought I'd receive. I'd like to send you a transcript and perhaps you could help out a bit.

Thanks in advance :)
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi darkAI,

You can contact me by clicking on my name in the left hand column and adding me as a friend.

I've got to go out for a while, but will back on in a couple of hours if that's ok

Best regards,

Bart