lets take it serious. nlsh

• silent21
      silent21
      Global
      hi there poker playas,

i am starting this blog mainly because i need something to motivate me. the history behind is that I registered here before a little more than a year and started playing poker with the 50$ pokerstrategy gave me. in the beginning ofcourse i lost them in hours :f_biggrin: and redosited. at first the only thing that kept me from going broke again and again was the rakeback. after some time i "evolved" from a rakeback player to a breakeven player with rakeback winnings and recently(last 6 months) i became a winning player. after few months winning at poker i got bored and probably because of this i started adding more and more tables till the moment i was able to play 16 sh tables without any problem with 17/15 style. i was still bored and i couldnt play on more than 16 tables in ftp therefore i moved to stars to play 24 tables :f_frown: . even though i have always had the feeling that if i take poker serious i can make much more money than with my ordinary job i still was never able to gain the necessary motivation to change my attitude, i guess this is because i like my job and i earn enough for a decent living and on the other side money were never a driving force for me.

the last few months i had a lot of personal issues (!@#$ load of work in the office, family issues, the girl i love is studying in USA and we lost contact...) and probably because of all this stress i totally lost my interest in poker and of course the next thing to do was to start spewing my br ... mid stakes HU, high bi tournaments and etc... another endevour dictated from my poker-apathetic mood was my mental endurance test(more about it you can read here). many people appraised this achievement and their positive feedbacks cause a moment of true enlightment in me - i decided to take poker seriously. the first step for this was to create this blog :) . till now i was playing regularly nl50sh and i am over bankrolled even for nl100 but my goals from now are different:

- despite of how i run in life/poker i will make regular updates in the blog
      - study my game ( plain experience is overrated! )
      - start playing my A+++ game on no more than 6 tables on nl25 at stars. when i win 25bi ill move up and this will continue till NL200
      - work on multitabling skills for NL200
      - achieva Super Nova Elite status (if i decide that i will still play with my untracked account in stars) / achieve Black Member status ( i need to find another poker room where i will be tracker by pokerstrategy)

p.s. dont berate me for my english and unbelievable long sentences. english is not my native language and i have never loved writing :f_grin:
  • 36 replies
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      05/09/09 - first day with the new mindset

my company forced me to install some shitty encryption software on my laptop and somehow after my hdd was fully encrypted almost everything non-work related got !@#$ed up and especially my precious hem database. i tried to find some solution but it turned out that the db is severely damaged and the only solution is to recreate it from my hand histories. while i was importing around 600k hands i totally lost my patience and decided to play without hud. i opened 6 tables and played really tight, somehow i am so used to play with stats that i am feeling scared without them. :f_confused: . while i was playing hem crashed (!@#$ this encryption software) and the import was stopped :s_frown: so created a new db in order to generate a graph for the blog. lets hope that the import will be finished this night properly.

about the session itself....considering my multitabling skills you can probably imagine how boring is to play only on 6 tables. probably that is the reason why i decided to end the session after a little over an hour. i played ok, somewhere around B+, and even though my KK ran into AA i finished +26.80$

targets
      - win 25bi at NL25 playing A+++ game

day one +26.80
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Hey Man!

Good to have you back. Sorry to hear about your the bad stuff that happen. Hope things are better now. I'll follow your blog and help when I can. :)
    • travoltaJOHNy
      travoltaJOHNy
      Bronze
      Nice longterm plans!
      [x] follow this blog
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Interesting plan i have allmost simillar one. My focus at the moment is learning. I am playing with other guys from PS by using screen sharing programs and skype. I saw you wanted to take poker more serious and for serious poker players , in my oppinion,it should allways be the main goal to LEARN and not GRIND, because the win rate will increase eksponential as you also move up in limits. I am currently playing NL25SH on party if you want to join us. If not, i wish you the greatest luck in your challenge and hopefully you will start enjoying learning instead of grinding. :)
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      @maya1984
      hey mate, long time havent heard anything from you.rl issues... well i moved on and everything is kinda ok now. thanks for the support!. now im focusing on poker :s_cool: how r u doing with ur poker career

@travoltaJOHNy
      thanks! btw your nickname sounds familiar to me, by any chance you play in ftp?

@MathhNes
      interesting offer. i can definitely participate in hand discussions and etc but generally my schedule is pretty tight... i spend around 10h in the office everyday :(
    • travoltaJOHNy
      travoltaJOHNy
      Bronze
      Yes, I played there, but not play at stars:) at ftp my nickname was the same:)
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      06/11/09 - utterly disappointed from myself

Originally posted by travoltaJOHNy
      Yes, I played there, but not play at stars:) at ftp my nickname was the same:)
      @travoltaJOHNy
      i was sure i've seen u in this infernal poker room :s_evil:

today was a really constructive day. in the morning i played a very short session ~500hands and then i had a meeting with opal and we had lunch. it was very good experience to meet a poker pro. we had very good conversations about grinding/playing poker, the lifestyle of a poker pro, the targets, and not in the end the pokerstars porsche :D . then i had to go to work and after veeery long 10 hours i was finally at home in front of the pc. i was kinda tired and in a short i felt bored playing just 6 tables so guess what... i started watching Jennifer's body while playing :f_mad:

eventually i tried some moves against the weak tight regs on NL25 and failed miserably. believe me when 14/11 nit c/r the turn on dry board he is aaalllways with teh nuts

anyway NL25 is so soft and i managed to end the session + 44$ easily but this is not important. what matters is that i learned two very important lessons today :f_frown:

- in order to be a pro poker player you need to be consistend, focused and to enjoy poker, grinding will just make u hate the game (opal ©)
      - i can hardly control myself when i am totally bored :f_frown:

targets

day one +26.80
      day two + 44$
      totally + 70.8$
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      i would like to share with you readers the article that had the greatest impact in my play style, especially when i was transitioning from nl25 to nl50. it was written in other poker forum by a semi high stakes player. im sure many of the micro/small stakes TAG players will identify themself in this article.

---------------------------------
      you are weak-tight.

What does weak-tight mean? In a nutshell, weak-tight means you have MUBS: (M)onsters (U)nder the (B)ed (S)yndrome. You give your opponents too much credit for hands and too much credit for hand-reading. I like to call it "Psychic Villain Syndrome," where you feel like your opponents can see into your soul. You know what? They really can't. They're just as lost as we are. Unfortunately, when we give them credit for being paranormally perceptive poker players we shoot ourselves in the foot, failing to make +EV moves because we fear that our plays will be obvious (no matter how far from the truth that might be).

Why do I accuse people of being weak-tight? Well, because I tricked you into telling me that you were. First, I gave you the following hand:
      ----------

SB: $28.60
      BB: $22.55
      UTG: $10.00
      Hero (MP): $29.80
      CO: $48.30
      BTN: $10.35

Preflop: Hero is dealt J :spade: T:spade: (6 Players)
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $1.00, 3 folds, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($2.10) 9:diamond: 8:heart: 5:club: (2 Players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.00, BB calls $2.00

Turn: ($6.10) 2:spade: (2 Players)
      BB bets $5.00, Hero calls $5.00

River: ($16.10) 3:diamond: (2 Players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $14.55....

----------

I then asked you how often villain calls the bluff. The results as of right now:

Less than 25% of the time: 6 (15% of responders)
      Between 25% and 50% of the time: 11 (27.5% of responders)
      Between 50% and 75% of the time: 18 (45% of responders)
      More than 75% of the time: 5 (12.5% of responders)

After that thread died down, I had my sneaky moderator-accomplice and made another thread, which should look reasonably similar to you:

----------

SB: $28.60
      BB: $22.55
      UTG: $10.00
      Hero (MP): $29.80
      CO: $48.30
      BTN: $10.35

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7:club: 6:club: (6 Players)
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $1.00, 3 folds, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($2.10) 9:diamond: 8:heart: 5:club: (2 Players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.00, BB calls $2.00

Turn: ($6.10) 2:spade: (2 Players)
      BB bets $5.00, Hero calls $5.00

River: ($16.10) 3:diamond: (2 Players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $14.55....

----------

NOTE WELL: stacks are the same. The flop and flop action are identical. The turn and turn action are identical. The river and river action are identical. The ONLY DIFFERENCE is that instead of air we've got the immortal nuts. We then asked you how often THIS river bet gets called, and you told us:

Less than 25% of the time: 7 (29.2% of responders)
      Between 25% and 50% of the time: 12 (50% of responders)
      Between 50% and 75% of the time: 4 (16.7% of responders)
      More than 75% of the time: 1 (4.2% of responders)

Bummer -- you're weak-tight. You've mistakenly assumed that an identical, unknown villain calls MUCH more often when we've got nothing than he would when we've got the nuts, even though every possible factor in the hand is otherwise identical. This makes no logical sense, it cannot be correct, but it's how we think as a group. That, my friends, is the very definition of weak-tight.

What are the consequences of being weak-tight? Well, the main consequence is that we make incorrect plays because we give our opponents too much credit. We bluff too little because we're just SURE that villain is calling, but in the same situation when we've got the nuts we bet small because we KNOW that villain won't call a big bet. I'm not saying that both of these statements are wrong, but at LEAST one of them MUST be. I honestly don't know where the truth lies. IF our villain will call our bluff-pushes too often for bluff-pushing to be profitable, then pushing with the nuts will be extremely +EV for us. On the other hand, IF our villain dumps most of his hands to a river push, then bluff-pushing will be extremely +EV for us. Only empirical evidence and reads will tell us which answer is correct for a particular villain, but believing that NEITHER pushing the nuts for value NOR pushing air as a bluff will be +EV cannot be correct -- if one doesn't work, the other will. My pure and uneducated guess is that at uNL, pushing for value is usually +EV and pushing as a bluff is usually -EV, but this will vary from villain to villain, and the formula will change as you move up in stakes.

How do we beat this weak-tight curse? Let's assume that we err on the side of overestimating our folding equity. If that's the case, then the next time you have the nuts on the river, ask yourself "if I had air, would pushing be +EV?" If your answer is no, then push. If your answer is yes then decide how large a bet you could make with air and still have it be +EV, reduce that amount by a couple BBs, and bet that much. This adjustment will reduce our predicted folding equity when we have the nuts. It might over-reduce it, but it's probably a move in the right direction.

Give it a try for a couple days and see how it works for you.

I don't point this out to insult you or try to make you feel stupid; rather, I point it out because it's an EXTRAORDINARILY common problem for poker players in general, at all stages of development. Let's try to get around our psychological stumbling blocks and start making rational decisions instead.
      ---------------------------------

I hope u like it
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      07/11/2009 - tilt and spew

you have no idea how bad i played today. i am not sure why but i woke up tilted the whole session continued in this mood. should have been more than +100 but i ended -10. 5betshove light, light 4bets, c/r turn vs tight tags and etc... on nl25 :f_eek:

targets

day three -9.55$
      totally + 60.25$

• silent21
      silent21
      Global
      08/11/2009 - variance strikes

the morning session i battled on 4 tables simultaneously a nl25 supernova reg who plays 12tables 8h every day. he is pretty loose especially that he is playing 12 tables - 25/22, 10% 3bet, 45%fold to 3bet, 41%fold to cbet

all of the following hands are against him :f_cry:

hand 1

Dealt to Hero K:heart: Q:spade:

fold, Hero raises to $0.75, CO calls $0.75, fold, fold, BB calls $0.50

FLOP ($2.35) K:spade: K:diamond: 7:diamond:

BB checks, Hero bets $2, CO raises to $5.50, BB folds, Hero raises to $12.50, CO raises to $29.30 (AI), Hero calls $11.75 (AI)

TURN ($50.85) K:spade: K:diamond: 7:diamond: 8:club:

RIVER ($50.85) K:spade: K:diamond: 7:diamond: 8:club: T:diamond:

Hero shows K:heart: Q:spade:
      (Pre 46%, Flop 5.2%, Turn 0.0%)

CO shows 7:spade: 7:club:
      (Pre 54%, Flop 94.8%, Turn 100.0%)

CO wins $48.35

when he shoved on the flop i was sure he is with Kx or 77 but my equity was still ok because AK is not in his range so i still can see KJ or KT.

hand 2

Dealt to Hero 8:club: 7:club:

fold, fold, CO raises to $1, fold, Hero raises to $3, fold, CO calls $2

FLOP ($6.25) 5:club: 2:club: 6:heart:

Hero bets $3.50, CO calls $3.50

TURN ($13.25) 5:club: 2:club: 6:heart: 3:heart:

Hero bets $6.50, CO raises to $26.85 (AI), Hero calls $14.75 (AI)

RIVER ($55.75) 5:club: 2:club: 6:heart: 3:heart: Q:heart:

CO shows 6:diamond: A:diamond:
      (Pre 55%, Flop 37.7%, Turn 59.1%)

Hero shows 8:club: 7:club:
      (Pre 45%, Flop 62.3%, Turn 40.9%)

CO wins $53

i called the turn because even against set my equity is sooo good but when he turned A6 i was :f_eek:

hand 3

Dealt to Hero K:spade: K:club:

fold, fold, CO raises to $1, fold, Hero raises to $3, fold, CO calls $2

FLOP ($6.25) J:club: 9:club: 5:club:

Hero bets $3.50, CO calls $3.50

TURN ($13.25) J:club: 9:club: 5:club: 3:club:

Hero bets $6.50, CO calls $6.50

RIVER ($26.25) J:club: 9:club: 5:club: 3:club: 9:heart:

Hero bets $17.20 (AI), CO calls $17.20

CO shows A:club: 7:club:
      (Pre 32%, Flop 97.0%, Turn 100.0%)

Hero shows K:spade: K:club:
      (Pre 68%, Flop 3.0%, Turn 0.0%)

CO wins $57.70

after his call on the turn i was sure he is with A:club: but i was too tilted from him and just shoved....

i still somehow managed to end +18.25

targets
      - win 25bi at NL25 playing A+++ game on no more than 6 tables

day four +18.25
      totally + 79.50$

after the morning session i went downtown to have some junk kfc and for a coffee with colleagues. they were asking me why i am so silent and so i had to explain how i lost 100$ to some guy online and i was reanalyzing the hands in my head. when they heard for my loss they were like "WTF 100$ for 1h you are crazy".... then i found that trying to explain to a nonpoker player what is variance, standard deviation and etc is like talking to the wall ... i am sure you've experienced such moments as well. after i came home i watched the pilot episode of V (2009 TV series) and the last episode of FlashForward (2009 TV series). they were so cool that i totally forgot about the losing session from the morning :f_p:

being in good mood i tried to study for my gmat exam but one hour was enough to bore me to death so i hit the tables. at first i opened stars and saw that the same reg was still playing now even on 24 tables so instead of trying to avoid him i went to play nl50. the tables were really fishy and i was able to made some stacks :s_cool:

• opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by silent21
      - in order to be a pro poker player you need to be consistend, focused and to enjoy poker, grinding will just make u hate the game (opal ©)
      you posted it and then played 3.7k hands next day ^^

btw: Thank you for that article - was great and should be re-read by everyone at least once per week....

:spade: Good luck at the tables! :spade:

(and let's go for another lunch soon again)
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      Originally posted by opal99
      you posted it and then played 3.7k hands next day ^^

btw: Thank you for that article - was great and should be re-read by everyone at least once per week....

:spade: Good luck at the tables! :spade:

(and let's go for another lunch soon again)
      it was saturday and i was free for the whole day ... i couldnt resist playing so much, still i guess 3.7k hands for a whole day is standard for a pro :s_cool:

glad you like the article, it really helps people to open their game and to valuebet more. i have some other valuable inspirational/strategy articles which will post soon as well.

we can arrange some partiiing somewhere in Brno soon :f_p:
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      we can arrange some partiiing somewhere in Brno soon :f_p:
      definetely, but not this week/weekend as I have to focus on school on this Saturday if I ever want to finish it ^^
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      atm i am in the office in lunch break. before a while i decided to check some of the highlight hands from the final table of the WSOP. well...i dont think i will be ever able to express my astonishment watching Moon playing. i was like

after him there will be a new term in poker for sure - suckout artist
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      dont forget that no matter how good you play you can still lose money.
      I'm a sng player but i decided to try NL2 SH like a week ago, i wasn't doing bad. but i was getting lots of suck out, i had no stats so i just said to myself they were normal suck out and it wasn't that bad.

after 1500 hands i only lost a small amount of money so i just thought cash games isn't for me.

Today i got a trial of pt3.. and saw my EV line was $8 above my winnings and at that time my bankroll was only about $20.. Down 400BB in 1500 hands cause of bad luck :f_mad:

Anyway GL on your challenge, and im going to give cash games another try. since i now know for sure i actualy had a downswing and not jut a bit of bad luck.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      09/11/2009 - running below ev

after work i went for a workout and then had a short nap. i woke up with the mood of a champion and hit the nl50 tables. in the beginning i was relentlessly 3b light some tight-weak regs winning a lot of small pots but then 88/50 fish sucked me for two stacks and shorty after i made a river call where i was sure i am behind i decided to end the session for today.

[/color]Dealt to Hero K:heart: A:club:

UTG raises to $1.50, fold, Hero raises to $5, SB calls $4.75, fold, UTG calls $3.50

FLOP ($15.50) J:heart: 3:heart: 2:heart:

SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks

TURN ($15.50) J:heart: 3:heart: 2:heart: 2:diamond:

SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($15.50) J:heart: 3:heart: 2:heart: 2:diamond: 8:heart:

SB bets $15, UTG folds, [color=red]Hero ??

probably i should cbet this flop but both SB and UTG were loose players and did not really wanted to blow the pot. on the river villain is a loose reg around 25/22 3.5af. after the potbet i was sure fold is the better option because his range for calling 3bet OOP and then for such strong potbet on the river is either A:heart: Kx or JJ. somehow i convinced myself i can include in his range QQ that is thinking "ok if he had A: or K: he would have bet flop or turn so i have the best hands and lets bet". i leveled myself thinking that the average player on nl50 is even trying to figure my range but whatsoever

finished + 75.50 though i am +170 EV. tomorrow ill go back to the nl25 challenge, i need to finish it :s_grin:

here is something interesting i found over the net. not sure if you are aware who is Athene/Chiren (allegedly the best paladin in WoW, the biggest attention whore over the internet, on of the most entertaining trolls, sick poker grinder) but he is trying to set a new grinding world record - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Ra3ikdSHc
      if you do the math it turns out he should play 24tables, 14h a day for 31 days. on his limit 0.50/1 this would generate him 46k rakeback from bonuses and etc if he is SN. so sick... :f_eek:
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      11/11/2009 - baaad

havent played for the last two days because i was busy. today i was not in mood of playing but i forced myself to play a bit and the results were to be expected.... after losing two coinflips AK - QQ and QQ - AK all other loses were tooootal spew :f_cry: . ill took one or two days break to clear my mind

• silent21
      silent21
      Global
      13/11/09 - tight play wins

small session runnin 17/15 went ok. i was battling with a good reg who had a position on me. he was 3betting me alot so i tightened and started to 4bet light until this hand came:

[/color]Dealt to Hero Q:club: Q:spade:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.50, SB raises to $5, fold, Hero raises to $13, SB raises to $53.30 (AI), Hero calls $37 (AI)

FLOP ($100) J:heart: K:diamond: 7:heart:

TURN ($100) J:heart: K:diamond: 7:heart: T:club:

RIVER ($100) J:heart: K:diamond: 7:heart: T:club: K:heart:

Hero shows Q:club: Q:spade:
      (Pre 69%, Flop 10.8%, Turn 15.9%)

SB shows K:spade: 9:spade:
      (Pre 31%, Flop 89.2%, Turn 84.1%)

SB wins $98.50

overall playing small sessions is much +ev than long or mass tabling sessions. i am running pretty good on NL50, probably ill give a try nl100 soon
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      14-15/11/09 - grind

this weekend i decided to play NL25 so i can finish my personal challenge. there were some unbelievabe suckouts, a lot of bad plays but overall i am satisfied with my play

targets
      - win 25bi at NL25 playing A+++ game on no more than 6 tables

day five and six +218.60
      totally + 298.10

i have never cashed out and i think i will follow the advice of opal and do it soon. probably i will get some nice lcd tv and wii with the money but i sitll have not decided. as for my br, i am overrolled for nl100 so this wont affect it