how to keep the fish (happy)

• sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      as many know there are a lot of players that berate the fish for all kinds of names after the fish sucks out on him. But this has more negative effect then positive

negative effects

1. the fish is going to qeustion his own play through these berates and come to the conclusion he is a fish and thus will learn more about the game and become a better pokerplayer

2. he is going to be offended by these berates loses the interests of playing and stops playing.

both these effects will cause that it will be harder to win money through poker in the long run.

positive effect

1. It will help you blow off some steam after one or several bad beats

whill this will make you feel better or comfort you're ego it will not help you gain any money in fact you might lose money in the long run by these behafior though that weak players leave or learn to play better. So it is - EV

So instead I have thought how can we get these players to come back as long as possible and keep them from having the need to improve there game.

My solution is stoke there ego sinds most fish have big ego's this will let them feel comfortable and they will continu to play in there horrible way.

I often say something like:

good read

I wish I was as good as you

can's think of more at this instants but would love you you to think of better complements to give to these fish.

also I like to defend the fish when people are berathing them just to make them feel they did nothing wrong

Hope to hear you're opinions about this
  • 12 replies
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      I agree 100%.

I hate those wannabe TAGs that start berating fish.

I once saw that a fish with 80 VPIP showed jack high versus several bets and raises in a hand with some random TAG. He said like LOL CALL MY RAISES WITH JACK HIGH.

After he said that, the fish dropped to like 25 VPIP.
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      I don't like those smartassing TAGs neither. :D

I like to compliment fish's play and always say nice hand when they hit a ridicolous 2 outer on river... :P
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I don't do this. While I generally avoid doing things that make them play better (like telling them they play bad), i am sometimes trying to piss them off as much as i can.

I do this generally by stealing from them repeteadly while it's obvious i have nothing, again and again and again... For example i bet any flop when heads up for 1/2 pot size.

And they fold fold fold until they get the brilliant idea to adapt and start raising me. If i am still betting any flop and they raise my bets i'll also 3bet like crazy. A paired board is ideal for this: i say i want the pot, he says i have nothing by raising, i'm asking "are you sure?" by re-raising small.

But i think the best way is to steal their BB. They will soon get pissed and 3bet lightly.

My preferate hand ever: fish minraises from SB first in. I min-3bet, he calls. Flop is Axx. He min-bets i minraise he calls. Turn is x he minbets i minraise. He folds i show J4s for absolutely nothing. The message: don't steal my blinds, i will eat you alive. (hint: he minraised from SB a LOT)

And of course i almost never say hi to anyone or response to it.

From the way you are thinking i would say you play cash games. And there it's necesary to make the fish happy to keep pumping money. Because i play SNG's my purpose is to take them out.

PS: I couldn't say if the methods above really make me a more profitable player, probably not, and i even can't say i have a clear reason to believe they work. But i SOMETIMES do this, especially on the bubble or 3handed ITM.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Most the TAGs that berate the fish are TAGfish imo :D

-Jack
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008
      :f_cry:
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      ALL of the TAGs that berate the fish are TAGfish imo :D
      Fixed that for ya. :s_biggrin:
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KidPokersKid
      :f_cry:
      I said most :P - If you berate fish its up to you. You have to way the positive effects against the negatives.

+ Fish could tilt

- Fish could leave as no friendly atmosphere

Now considering they're "fish" i dont see the need to try and tilt them as you make profit off their mistakes anyway. If your gonna berate anyone, berate the TAGs regs and get them to tilt or leave :D

-Jack
    • PavelM11
      PavelM11
      Bronze
      Just play 8+ tables (with PT or HEM ofc) and u'll barely have time for notes, not to mention berating fish in the chat ;)
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Never berate fishes, but be just as careful about complementing them as well.

:heart: If you say "nice hand" every time he sucks out against a dominating hand - it won't be long before he catches your sarcasm. Then it is just the same as you saying "you're a donkey".

:diamond: I suggest you encourage or defend fishes who just lost a questionable hand (that most of us would get away from). So if I say "tough call - lots of outs" or "I thought they were bluffing too" - I'm just confirming what he already believed - that he had a great hand and that he'll hit it next time.

:club: I never say "nice hand" when a fish wins through bad play - the win is all the positive reinforcement he needs. If I comment on the hand, he may catch my sarcasm, someone else might correct me, or he might go back and look at it a bit more closely... I don't want him thinking about his play at all.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I say stuff like: wow good read, good play there on that flop/turn/river, I wish I had the balls to call that etc
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ramble
      Never berate fishes, but be just as careful about complementing them as well.

:heart: If you say "nice hand" every time he sucks out against a dominating hand - it won't be long before he catches your sarcasm. Then it is just the same as you saying "you're a donkey".

:diamond: I suggest you encourage or defend fishes who just lost a questionable hand (that most of us would get away from). So if I say "tough call - lots of outs" or "I thought they were bluffing too" - I'm just confirming what he already believed - that he had a great hand and that he'll hit it next time.

:club: I never say "nice hand" when a fish wins through bad play - the win is all the positive reinforcement he needs. If I comment on the hand, he may catch my sarcasm, someone else might correct me, or he might go back and look at it a bit more closely... I don't want him thinking about his play at all.
      Yeah, indeed I have thought of that it might sound as sarcasm, but many people that play that bad mostly aren't the smartest people so the miss the real message there.

But indeed you don't want to make it to clear that you not mean what you say so I complement him on hands I'm not in :s_grin:
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PavelM11
      Just play 8+ tables (with PT or HEM ofc) and u'll barely have time for notes, not to mention berating fish in the chat ;)
      +1
      I only play 4 tables, but I think it's more important to focus on poker instead of thinking of things to say to your fish............leave them to swim peacefully.

I play with chat turned off