UTG ($4.99)
      UTG+1 ($7.65)
      CO ($14.31)
      Hero ($24.91)
      BB ($8.17)

Pre-Flop: ($0.20, 5 players) Hero is BTN J:spade: 10:spade:
      [UTG posts $0.10]
      UTG raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30, 1 fold

Flop: 8:heart: 9:club: 5:club: ($0.70, 2 players)
      UTG bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45

Turn: Q:club: ($1.60, 2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero ????

First of all, I'm not sure if I was right in calling the cbet as I have only 6 clean outs to my OESD.

As played, what should my line be on the turn? From what I can tell, my options are:
      - Check. I invest nothing more in case he's slowplaying a flush, but it tells me nothing.
      - Bet. I think probably about 1/2 pot and folding to a raise. This may also protect my hand against a possible 1-card flush, since I don't want another club to land on the river.

If I check or if he flat-calls my bet, what should I do on the river if a club doesn't show up?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I think flatting JTs out of position there will only be profitable against halfstackers if you have a tremendous edge on them, so i'd probably either fold or 3bet it depending on how he's generally playing.

As played postflop is tricky since it's hard to have a plan without an idea of how loose he's opening preflop and c-betting that flop. If he's rather tight i don't expect him to c-bet marginal hands there too often or to open them preflop in the first place, so i'd rather call and try to crack them with decent odds. If he's loose and aggressive i think you can raise/call or just jam the flop profitably provided he has a fold button at all.

As played on the turn you're pretty much forced to play like you have the nuts against an unknown once you get there. True he could be slowplaying a flush, or he could have an top pair / overpair with or without a club that is pot controlling on the turn, a set, random garbage with a club that has still okay equity against your hand. And you know when he'll just decide to check/shove stuff like AcQx, so it's a bet/call for me against a halfstacked unknown, if he has the flush so be it.

Hope it helps.