[NL2-NL10] NL5 AA and JJ

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

Would appreciate some advice on these two hands.

Hand 1: Unknown Villain

Hand 2: 30/20/?? over I think 50 hands, can't remember his AF.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $5.00
      CO(Hero):
      $6.53
      BU:
      $4.33
      SB:
      $6.53
      BB:
      $6.70
      UTG2:
      $3.36
      MP1:
      $5.22
      MP2:
      $3.00

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BU calls $0.20, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.47) 2, 3, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BU calls $0.30.

Should have bet a bit more to about $0.4 or pot-size, guess I was too lazy to click twice more. He calls me straight away.

Turn: ($1.07) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BU raises to $2.00, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Obviously bad turn card, fold?

Final Pot: $1.77.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $5.00
      MP2(Hero):
      $5.33
      MP3:
      $5.44
      CO:
      $6.75
      BU:
      $6.63
      SB:
      $3.31
      BB:
      $5.22
      UTG2:
      $3.00

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J, J.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 3 folds, SB raises to $0.40, BB folds, Hero calls $0.20.

Preflop ok? With his stats I can't put him on a narrow range of hands.

Flop: ($0.85) T, 8, T (2 players)
      SB bets $1.00, Hero raises to $4.93(All-In), SB calls $1.91.

I thought it was justifiable to shove assuming he's a loose player. I figured he could have had something like AK or even lower aces. TT was discarded. But I think I made a mistake as the only hand I have beat is AK, all other possibilities beat me.

Turn: ($8.69) 9 (0 players)
      SB gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($8.69) 6 (0 players)
      SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $6.78.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and tens(Jc Js).
      SB shows two pairs, queens and tens(Qh Qs).

SB wins with two pairs, queens and tens(Qh Qs).
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think the first hand is okay tho $0.35 on the flop might be better, the snapcall flop / small raise turn is usually consistent with a flush, but you'll also see people randomly do that with any kind of (pocket)pair with a heart if they're aggressive with no idea what they're doing.

So you're imo either way ahead or way behind, which is a real problem when confronted with a committing raise. It's basically a judgment call against an unknown, either you've seen him splash around or you haven't. Folding is likely safer, but shoving can't really be faulted either.

Second hand is ugly. If you 4bet preflop you're likely never getting it in good, if you call and flop an overpair you have no idea where you're at either if you can't give him a clear range. If he had a full stack you could call the flop and expect him to shutdown on the turn without a better hand most of the time, but as it is it's a committing c-bet for his stack.

Some among us would say 4bet and get it in, it's nl5 he's halfstacking so he's bad. Others would say call preflop but then you can't fold an overpair on the flop ever. Others would argue that once he overbets on the flop he very likely has a bigger overpair unless he's nuts and with only a few big blinds invested folding doesn't cost you much. Hard to say who's right really without more information.

Personally i think 30/20 is loose enough for you not to be able to fold postflop without a better read at nl5, so i'd end up playing it like you did but i'm really not thrilled about it. It's just that the alternatives suck worse, so go broke, treat it as a cooler and learn from it to play better against him in future hands.

Hope it helps.