Today I played 1.000 hands on PP, with following stats from the site:

Hands played: 1000
      Hands won: 8%
      Showdowns won: 67%

---- Flop hands ----
      Flops seen: 20%
      Win% if Flops Seen: 34%

How do those numbers look?

I should probably mention that at one time I was at +35 BB, while I finished at -42 BB (horrible, I know). I am following the SHC strictly but I think I probably have poor postflop play.

I have lost a few expensive showdowns in a way that doesn't seem logical to me... I would be grateful if someone can explain?

- Every time I had good preflop hands (AA, KK or AK) and on the flop a top pair with high kicker.

- Despite my aggressive play always 1 or 2 people follow me to the river with just calling (no signs of aggression) and at least one to the showdown.

- On the showdown it turns out that one of them has either:
      1. three of a kind (small to middle pocket pair + one of the flop cards), which beats my high pair or
      2. a full house (which beats my 2 pairs when a pair was made from community cards, and with good kicker)

- As I said, the pots were quite large usually (due to my aggresion), and from their behaviour I couldn't figure out that in fact they have a much better hand than me.

- It seems to me that this is not accidental but that there is some flaw in my thinking... my logic is always to bet and raise when I should be ahead :( should I be more passive? Then I will win less but also lose less.

Thanks for the help! :)
  • 5 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      We can't tell you much about your play or mistake just by viewing your stats.

That's because the PP stats aren't very accurate and the sample size is just to small.

The best thing you can do is to post hand in which you were unsure how to play it.
      We can tell you then if you played this hand correctly and if not what you can do better the next time.

The thing with the highcards/big hands is just a normal distribustion of "badbeats".
      Everyone receives them and if you look at the percentages you have to loose these hands from time to time (even AA is most of the time max a 80% favorite so you win it 4 times and loose it 1 times out of 5)

If you are in the mood of saying "everytime I have QQ and ace hits the flop" start counting the trtimes an ace flops and thne times no ace flops and you will see that the "always" is just a subjective "feeling" aand nearly everyone has it if he looses for a long time.

As said previously start posting hands and try to play every hand the best way you can and you will start making money. The stats are not that important and if you play well the stats will be good too.

I hope that wasn't too confusing but if so please just ask more questions. :D
    • LordDreyfuss
      LordDreyfuss
      Bronze
      There was a misunderstanding I'm afraid :)

I did not say that every time I had a good preflop hand I had a bad flop, but that every time I lost a big showdown the same betting pattern appeared (explained in 5 points).

I meant to ask if my betting strategy was in fact wrong there? Basically every time I was the aggresor and the stronger opponent played passively (which doesn't seem logical to me).

So, on one hand I didn't see the loss coming so it was profitable for the opponents but on the other hand they didn't extract the max money out of me (at least with the river bet or raise they could have taken another BB).

Thanks for the input!
    • Classical
      Classical
      Bronze
      If they have a set on the flop and they just call down your AA then they've made a mistake and you win because you lost less than you would have if they'd played correctly. But it's hard to generalize because every case is different, so you'd best post some of those hands where you weren't sure if your betting was correct in the forum (get a hand converter first). It's not only educational, but fun too!
    • LordDreyfuss
      LordDreyfuss
      Bronze
      Thanks! I will certainly start doing that.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Classical
      If they have a set on the flop and they just call down your AA then they've made a mistake and you win because you lost less than you would have if they'd played correctly. But it's hard to generalize because every case is different, so you'd best post some of those hands where you weren't sure if your betting was correct in the forum (get a hand converter first). It's not only educational, but fun too!
      #2 nice post Classical :)