5 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

UTG GaLyCans ($4.46)
      CO bavaria05 ($10.16)
      BTN Hero ($5.91)
      SB Interferon ($6.28)
      BB melissa321 ($10.14)

Pre-Flop: ($0.09, 5 players) Hero is BTN 10:diamond: 10:spade:
      1 fold, bavaria05 raises to $0.18, Hero raises to $0.42, 2 folds, bavaria05 calls $0.24

Flop: K:diamond: J:diamond: 10:club: ($0.93, 2 players)
      bavaria05 checks, Hero bets $0.54, bavaria05 raises to $1.25, Hero calls $0.71

Turn: 9:club: ($3.43, 2 players)
      bavaria05 bets $1.61, Hero folds

Final Pot: $5.04

bavaria05 collects $3.23 (net -$0.05)
      Hero lost $1.67

This was with the first 10 hands I played against this guy, so no real reads except him making standard size bets and playing pretty tight. I believed he was capable of holding JJ, AK, AQ, KQ maybe AA, KK, QQ. I hesitantly called the reraise to see the turn which now gave any Q a straight. I folded because the only hand I'd beat is AK, AA, and maybe some random KJ, and I feel he probably wouldn't c/r such a threatening board with a pair.

Should I have shoved the flop, or am I behind most of the time and a fold would the best choice?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Situations where you will have to fold a set are very rare, you probably shouldn't be looking for them too much when you're playing microstakes, especially on such textured flops when you only have 10 hands on your villain. People will show up with enough AA/AK/KJ/KT/JT/QQ/KQ/QJ/QT type of hands to warrant you going broke all the time with a smile on your face, and doing so as fast as possible to avoid a nasty turn card which will kill your equity against most of this range, like it did in that hand.

Overtime you'll become better and be able to spot situations where your opponent can't really have anything that you beat with bottom set, but trust us that's not one of them. 3bet it and call a shove, if he shows you a made straight you have outs to boat up, if you shows you a higher set it's a huge cooler, don't sweat it.

Hope it helps.