~p0kerQT's MTT n SnG BLoG~

• p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Well, its been a while since I have blogged or been active on PokerStrategy, which I would like to change!

I was doing pretty well at poker during the spring and summer this year, I managed to grind my BankRoll up, with a few cashes in some tournaments. But my social life got pretty hectic and I kept withdrawing money. So I was playing less which meant I wasn't making money, and after withdrawing so much, my BankRoll diminished. So I stopped playing for a while. Left with about $15 I was occasionally playing PLO2, along with $1.20 9 mans. I managed to build my BR upto $40 ish without having studied the game in many months, thinking I knew it all!

Then the downswing started, I couldn't win to save my life. Every monster I had was cracked by the turn or river, I totally lost my cool and decided to gamble my BR on a $27 9 man. I managed the make it down to the last 4 players... with around 15 big blinds I got dealt 88 on my BB, I pushed against a raise from the small blind and they turned over Aces. I wasn't angry or upset when I lost the game, just regretful that I had no money left to play.

I have never been a "gambler" in the past... The few times I played above BRM in poker I was never successful, which I think is a good thing. Long-term success heavily outweighs short-term success, if I had won in the $27 SnG I probably wouldn't have learnt anything...

I realise now that I'd forgotten how to play the game, I wasn't just losing coz of bad luck. In the months gone by without studying I had allowed major leaks into my game without even knowing it. I took some time earlier to read through the basic articles and noticed I'd thrown the SHC's completely out the window and was playing like a donk!

Anyway, enough rambling! I have deposited $25 and am going to start a fresh. I know if I put some effort in I will get back on the right track!
  • 60 replies
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      hi pokerQT,

good luck starting fresh! are you playing SnGs? which platform are you playing on?

ill be watching ur progress :)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Welcome back :) I always liked the coloured text :)

=)
    • rex99
      rex99
      Bronze
      welcome back, i even know who you are, however i wish you very luck and success in this new beginnig. :f_biggrin:
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Thx guys! :)

Hi lessthanthreee, yes I am an SnG player n I love playing MTT's and MtSnG's too! I currently play on PokerStars, and will deposit on FullTilt soon so I can start earning strategy points again.

Lol Gerv I do it just for u! j/p :P

Hey rex, yep I remember u too :)

For anyone who doesn't know me already, my name is Sarah, I'm 23 years old n I'm from manchester, UK! I've been playing poker for over 2 years now n I love the game!

Today has been a pretty fun day on poker, I felt the rush again I hadn't felt in a while. The one I seem to get sometimes when I'm all in waiting for the next cards to be dealt, yelling hold repeatedly until the river, n it feels great when my hands hold or I manage to catch a miracle card, especially after such a bad time on poker last week.

Well, I'm getting pretty tired now so I will update tomorrow with some interesting hands from today, evaluate my play and set some targets n aims.

Na nite PS!
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Oh no the rainbow texts are back. haha.

Great to have you back :)

Goodluck on your Journey.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      Thx guys! :)

Hi lessthanthreee, yes I am an SnG player n I love playing MTT's and MtSnG's too! I currently play on PokerStars, and will deposit on FullTilt soon so I can start earning strategy points again.

Lol Gerv I do it just for u! j/p :P

Hey rex, yep I remember u too :)

For anyone who doesn't know me already, my name is Sarah, I'm 23 years old n I'm from manchester, UK! I've been playing poker for over 2 years now n I love the game!

Today has been a pretty fun day on poker, I felt the rush again I hadn't felt in a while. The one I seem to get sometimes when I'm all in waiting for the next cards to be dealt, yelling hold repeatedly until the river, n it feels great when my hands hold or I manage to catch a miracle card, especially after such a bad time on poker last week.

Well, I'm getting pretty tired now so I will update tomorrow with some interesting hands from today, evaluate my play and set some targets n aims.

Na nite PS!
      From Manchester eh? I'm originally from Manchester, living in Newcastle now at University :) Always good to see another Brit on the forums. Check out my blog (Very beginner) if you feel the need to :) GL at the tables.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Thx Kyle, you know you missed the RAINBOW text! :P

Hey Wriggers, thx for the good luck. :) Nice to see another manc on here! I'll check your blog some time.

I didn't update last week coz the laptop decided to die on me :f_cry: But I managed to kick my boyf off the PC to get some play time in.

I've been playing MTT SnG's mainly. I started out last week with little success, with my BR hovering between 22 and 33, but managed to turn it around at the end of the week.

I joined a few trny's on Thurs n managed to come 3rd in 2 90 mans for $13 each. On friday I played a set of 4 90 mans, out of those I placed 4th and 7th for a total of $12.37. And today I won a 27 man n came 4th in an 18 man.

My total BR is now $54.91 so I'm feeling pretty positive! The laptop will be fixed soon so I can get some more volume in.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I know :f_biggrin:
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Hi Sarah;
      I missed you :)

Originally posted by Gerv
      I always liked the coloured text :)
      me not, but couldn't help myself and read it all :f_p:
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Hey opal, thx for your kind comments :)

I'm just round at a mates house, I ended up getting my internet cut off coz I kept putting off paying the phone bill, but I will be able to pay it on tuesday. I managed to get my BR up to $63 before they cut me off, so I withdrew my BR to put towards the bill. I think I need to learn to manage my moniez better coz I've had the money to pay it but I seem to prioritise gettin wasted at the weekend before paying my bills :-s

Well, I've missed playing poker, but I'm not quite as addicted to the game as I used to be, so I've managed to ease my bored times with watching pointless sitcoms on TV. I'm looking forward to gettin back to playing but need to make sure I take some time to study the game without diving in head first! I will update as soon as I get my net sorted.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Hey, I finally got my net back and I'm so happy to have poker again :) I deposited $50 on stars and have mainly been playing mttSnG's. I've won a couple of them but nothing great so far (when I started typing this).

I managed to get ITM in a few 90 mans but kept losing flips before the final table, until now. I just played one and managed to gain the lead with around 18 players left. I picked up some decent hands on the bubble and bullied it, so I went to the final table being the chipleader, and shortly picked up AA with action! Here it is..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 625/1250 Blinds 150 Ante (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Button (t3945)
      SB (t27417)
      Hero (BB) (t43658)
      UTG (t6785)
      UTG+1 (t14905)
      MP1 (t21281)
      MP2 (t2681)
      MP3 (t5265)
      CO (t9063)

Hero's M: 13.54

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A
      1 fold, UTG+1 bets t2500, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t2531 (All-In), 3 folds, SB raises to t3781, Hero raises to t43508 (All-In), 1 fold, SB calls t23486 (All-In)

Flop: (t60915) 7, J, 5 (3 players, 3 all-in)

Turn: (t60915) 6 (3 players, 3 all-in)

River: (t60915) 4 (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: t60915

Results:
      SB had Q, Q (one pair, Queens).
      Hero had A, A (one pair, Aces).
      MP2 had 8, 8 (straight, eight high).
      Outcome: Hero won t49472, MP2 won t11443

I was incredibly lucky that the 2nd chip leader had picked up QQ vs my AA, giving me a 3:1 lead against the next big stack. So I put the pressure on the other players, nobody wanted to be the next to lose and I was winning pot after pot, n got lucky a few times to make it heads up.

My opponent was pretty weak, he was folding on the button and kept calling my minraises preflop then check/folding. Here is the hand I won with, I think he'd gotten fed up ^^ I'm not sure if I made a good call, but hey whatever works.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 2000/4000 Blinds 500 Ante (2 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (SB) (t97838)
      BB (t37162)

Hero's M: 13.98

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 7
      Hero bets t8000, BB calls t4000

Flop: (t17000) Q, J, A (2 players)
      BB bets t28662 (All-In), Hero calls t28662

Turn: (t74324) 10 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t74324) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t74324

Results:
      Hero had 9, 7 (flush, Ace high).
      BB had 4, 5 (one pair, Jacks).
      Outcome: Hero won t74324

GG!
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze

*Ahh... had to type this post using word n save it as an image coz it wouldn't let me have spaces between the different colours* ?(
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Earlier I decided to open up fulltilt and see if I had any ftp's I could make use of, n I noticed I had 40c! My rakeback from the last time I played before I withdrew my BR. So I decided to sit down at a NL2 table. I managed to quadruple up, then joined a few tables buying in at 40c. I played all morning and managed to get up to $5.01!

In spring this year I had withdrawn my BR and received $3 rakeback, which amazingly I managed to build up to $140, so I have some hope that I'll be able to build a BR up from 40c with my good start.

I am going to play SSS on NL2, hopefully I will have luck on my side! I never really played SSS much before but I like it now. But the dry spots can be frustrating, I played a few hands that weren't in the SHC, which got me into some trouble. To be a good SSS player discipline is really important!
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Well, my plan to build a BR from 40c has pretty much failed. I got it up to around $7, then down to $5. Today I sat down to play, n I think I joined too many tables. Every time I won a sizeable pot, I picked up a good hand waiting for the blinds to hit me again, and managed to lose. It's a bit of a blur as it all seemed to happen so quickly, I couldn't win a pot when I was ahead. Before I knew it my BR was down to $2 and I tilted the rest (apart from 59c) away :(

It seems so silly now letting myself tilt over $3. If I had just left the tables to cool down, I would have a better chance at building a BR out of it. On a positive note I haven't lost anything I didn't have 2 days ago, and I'm actually up 19c from where I started. I will carry on with my 59c when I'm in a better mood for it!

Hmmph! I decided to sit back down with 40c and after 1 orbit I picked up AA on my BB, 4 people had limped so I raised it up to 16c. 2 people called me and the flop was 567, I pushed all in and one of them called me, they turned over 42s and my luck wasn't about to go changing, they hit their 3 :( What possesses someone to limp 42 from early position? Let alone call an 8BB raise with it?? I know fish are the source of good players income in the long run, but with 1 buyin there is no time for a long run.

I guess its back to SnG's for me.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Hey, I hope everyone had a good christmas! I've been ill all week :( recovering now though! I was gonna go round to my boyfriends on xmas day, but didn't wanna pass my flu onto any of his family, he brought me home a plateful of xmas dinner so at least I didn't miss out on that!

Before I became ill I decided to play some SSS on PokerStars since I'd got a taste for it on FullTilt, n I did incredibly well! I managed to get from ~$55 to ~$100 in 2 days on NL10.

So I had 30 buyin's for the $3 9 mans and decided to give it a shot and move down if I fell below 20 buyin's. I played around 15 sets of 4 with no success, my BR hovering between $80 and $115, it is now $90.

I find 9 man SnG's pretty boring atm so I don't have much motivation playing them, since I did so well playing SSS I will give that another go. I hope I didn't just get some beginners luck, I think I am more disciplined on Stars than FTP coz I'm playing a higher limit, losing a buyin on NL2 SSS is almost minuscule.

Oh yeh, I traded $5 on Stars for $5 on FTP so I'm gonna try build something out of that, currently at $6.17
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      Hey there! Just found your blog and hey, it was quite nice reading.

GL with the SSS'ing and the SNG's! Gerv's SSS coachings f.x are very useful.
      You'd better get used to swings if you play SSS though, SSS is defenately a game that likes to swing both ways. :D

Keep up the good work,

xx vonki
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Hey vonki thx for the GL :) I will have to check out the coaching some time. And nice 1 keeping it colourful!

Well I just played a set which went pretty well, I won a couple of big pots then waited for the blinds to hit me and picked up KK n QQ, both went all in preflop vs AK and unluckily they both hit. I wasn't deep on either table so it didn't hinder my progress too much, overall it was a good set.

I set up PT3 earlier, it was a bit of a pain in the a$$, but I managed to get it working fine in the end. Here is my graph from today's set.

And my overall graph n stats from my SSS expedition.

I lost a few dollars on NL2 (BSS) when I was trying to set up PT3, but I haven't graphed that, coz it was aside from my SSS game. So my current BR is $96.47.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Well, no sooner had I posted about my brilliant start on SSS did my downswing start. I lost about 10 BI's thenn managed to recuperate 3 buy'ins through luck when I tilted a bit.

So tonight I decided to play some SnG's but not my usual 9 man's.. I played a set of 4 $3.40 6 man turbo's and managed to come 1st in 3 of them. The last 1 was pretty funny, this terrible player decided to trash talk me so I took a pic (His stats were like vp:pfr - 60:40) n I called his push on the flop.

:f_p: :f_p: :f_p: :f_p: :f_p:
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      you should come play SnGs. much better than CGs :P