[NL2-NL10] Pocket pairs NL25

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi

First time posting hands. Finally figured out how to do this. Anyways I have a few hands here that I think I made some mistakes on.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $24.07
      CO:
      $4.65
      BU:
      $25.22
      SB:
      $25.10
      BB:
      $5.00
      UTG2:
      $34.28
      MP1(Hero):
      $4.58
      MP2:
      $7.50

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 2, 2.
      UTG2 folds, Hero calls $0.25, 4 folds, SB calls $0.15, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.75) 9, 2, A (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.25, SB folds, BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.75.

I'm supposed to check behind here right?

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $13.89
      BB:
      $10.00
      UTG2:
      $10.00
      MP1:
      $17.71
      MP2(Hero):
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $10.57
      CO:
      $5.56
      BU:
      $10.12

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8, 8.
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.25, 3 folds, SB calls $0.15, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.75) 8, A, 9 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.75, BB folds, Hero calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.25) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.25) Q (2 players)
      SB bets $2.25, Hero raises to $4.00(All-In), SB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.5.

Was this played correctly? I really feel like if I had done something differently I could have doubled up.

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $4.25
      UTG1:
      $28.66
      UTG2(Hero):
      $6.17
      MP1:
      $24.21
      MP2:
      $18.19
      MP3:
      $9.00
      CO:
      $5.43
      BU:
      $28.37
      SB:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J, J.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1.00, MP3 calls $1.00, 4 folds.

Flop: ($3.35) 2, 8, K (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($3.35) A (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $2.25, MP3 folds, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.35.

Am I supposed to Cbet here?

I'm focusing on trying to play my pairs better right now. I've been losing a lot of $$$ when I can't let a hand like JJ or QQ go. Also when I get to see a cheap flop with small pairs and hit a set I feel like I'm not getting full value from them. Should I only be limping with small pairs or can I raise with them in position?

Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • tigerK
      tigerK
      Bronze
      Try to not post more than 2 hands in one thread please. Try as well to find a converter to make hands handier to read. Thanks.

Hand 1:
      22 mp1 = fold preflop. You're loosing loads of money with this, believe me.
      flop: you catch your set, now you need to value it. The Ace on the flop is quite scary for BB ans SB, it will be hard halas. We don't know the colors of the cards, that's a pity and it changes the analysis. So, here you have two solutions: check behind cause the board is dry and you don't need to protect your hand too much, or bet hoping that one of vilains has got the Ace. Your minbet flop is a donkey move. If you want to bet, bet 0.50. But as you said, here the best option was to check behind.

Hand 2:
      Well played. You could as well bet turn, but I do like your slowplay turn cause it show weakness and by betting pot flop, it's quite unlikely than vilain is on a draw: he's probably got the 9 or the 8. We still don't have the colors of the card, so it's hard to do a fine analysis. Work this out next time. Here you probably catch the most value of his hand, cause he surely didn't have an ace.

Hand 3:
      You should contibet/fold flop, check/fold turn and river. To say the truth, AK is unlikely to be on vilain's range of cold call. KQ is the only hand you fear of. you might be leading at the flop, you need to protect from other overcard. At the turn, the A come, easy fold.

You should fold 22-66 and not limping them UTG and on middle positions. Raise 77+ CO and BU. Mdp3 if you're first-in and do need some action. PP is good to play in steal position, not before.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze

Try to not post more than 2 hands in one thread please. Try as well to find a converter to make hands handier to read. Thanks.

Here is a good tutorial:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-evaluations/
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      @Gerv - Thanks for the link. I used the convertor but copied the text not the link.

@tigerK - Thanks for your patience and effort. I thinkyour input will help me a lot. I'm still working letting pairs go pre-flop, I'm sure that I can save a lot of chips if I Just fold them pre-flop. When is it okay to play them? As a steal late position I know, but how about when there are limpers in front of you, is it okay to limp in there? When in the blinds against a steal, is it better to 3bet or call against a LAG?

Thanks guys
    • tigerK
      tigerK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      When is it okay to play them? As a steal late position I know, but how about when there are limpers in front of you, is it okay to limp in there? When in the blinds against a steal, is it better to 3bet or call against a LAG?

Thanks guys
      You could setmine with a pocket pair if there is MINIMUM three limpers before you, and if you're in late position.
      If you have a double stack or more than 40bb, you could setmine with less limpers.

You can limp as well at the BU if there is one or two limpers, but you need a solid background playing postflop.

Against a steal, NEVER call. fold or resteal. I like resteal with 66+ and fold 22-55 against stealer, but it depends of stats as well if you have some.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tips. You've given me a lot to think about. I see in PT3 that I've been profitable with TT+ and up and down with 99-22. Hopefully fixing this leak can get me over 2 bb/100 profit.