SSS NL10 feedback

• boyadzhiev
      boyadzhiev
      Bronze
      This is actually the first topic I create here and the first time I visit the forums so this may have been discussed before so excuse me.

I have been playing SSS NL 0.05/0.10 for a month now and I pretty much have made over 2500 ftp in full tilt which is approximately 300$ rake. I got my 50$ first deposit bonus and I have been receiving a rakeback for a while but the thing is that I don't actually make any progress. I have 70$ now which is 20$ profit of 300$ rake paid which is inappropriate, I think. I do everything right, I even make sklansky pushes as one of my friends gave me the charts (I don't have a gold access).
      My week usually starts very well and I make 15-20$ profit for five to six days and then the last 1-2 days I face TREMENDOUS badbeat and I lose the profit. I get my rakeback and then the next day I lose it. Then the story repeats itself in an endless circle of play-with-noprogress.

My motivation that keeps me going is that I will soon get some tell-a-friend bonuses and I will raise the limits and hopefully play with lesser shortstackers on the tables and I'm really hoping that this is going to solve my problem. I was hoping if any of you could give some feedback on playing SSS on NL 0.05/0.10 limits and if what happens to me is normal.

Thanks in advance.
  • 15 replies
    • holygrind
      holygrind
      Bronze
      Congratz.. haha.. U r in the same boat as me... playing NL10 with $2 buy in. i can win 1 day with $30 but lose everything n even more the next day...

i Used to play 8 tables.. maybe in some way i did tilt n did not follow the SSS well. so now i'm sizing down to only 4 tables to troubleshoot the problem. i had $300 but busted out all in 3 weeks.. too damamging... i had played like 25k hands...

maybe we shld start a small discussion groups for all failures in SSS so we can know where the problems lies.....
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Pity to hear you're not doing well :( One thing I would like to add- about those sklansky pushes, I'm not sure is there any need for this on NL10.. I think those sklansky pushes require tighter opponents than NL10 average, because fish often like to call openshoves with random crap and a lot of time still dominates you. NL10 should be beatable with pure basic sss, imho. GL
    • ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      I used to start with SSS, but as partypoker don't have much people with big stacks, i started playing BSS (didn't have a choice, :(
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jenoc
      Pity to hear you're not doing well :( One thing I would like to add- about those sklansky pushes, I'm not sure is there any need for this on NL10.. I think those sklansky pushes require tighter opponents than NL10 average, because fish often like to call openshoves with random crap and a lot of time still dominates you. NL10 should be beatable with pure basic sss, imho. GL
      S-C pushes are correct even if the villain knows what you have, that's the principle of it. Although it's nice that you have fold equity when using them, it's not actually a factor in their effectiveness, they actually assume you will get called.
    • boyadzhiev
      boyadzhiev
      Bronze
      Okay, so I got that pokertracker 3 thing and I imported some hands from NL10. I'm starting a blog right here that I'm going to update regularly and hope that you guys can help me find my mistakes.

So I have played 8000 hands for now and I'm running pretty bad. I thing I'm on a downswing. Look at my graphs and my stats and tell me if something is very wrong.
      Also take a look at the hands history and notice the KK profit o.0

Hands history: http://ul.to/y7iz7y

Let me assure you that I follow the charts of the basic SSS and I also make sklansky pushes every now and then and they work fine.
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      well you could ofcourse just be on a downswing. still analysing you're game and posting hands never a bad thing. that way you can help you discover leaks and if there aren't any it at least reasures you been playing correct.
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      I played 10k hands basic SSS and I was down by $50+.

Why not try and look at the hands you are losing money with?
    • boyadzhiev
      boyadzhiev
      Bronze
      Well, I did just that. The thing is that I'm losing mostly from blinds. I can't help it.

I have also lost some decent amount with 33 and KQ though but its ~20$ and half of the times I had been badbeaten.The other half which is ~10$ I have just played bad and I analyzed my mystakes so it won't happen again. The thing is, I cannot find any leaks in my play so far and thats why I need your help. Someone, please, show me what I do wrong.
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ironmask92
      I used to start with SSS, but as partypoker don't have much people with big stacks, i started playing BSS (didn't have a choice, :(
      So true. PartyPoker is covered in shortstacks which just can't pay off your big hands enough to make pure SSS profitable, even though most of the players are fish. I switched to SnG's because of this, I was down about 7 BI at NL10 on SSS and i've already recovered most of that within the space of 8 $1 SnGs.

EDIT: So far i've found PartyPoker SnGs RIDICULOUSLY fishy.
    • boyadzhiev
      boyadzhiev
      Bronze
      I have been dealt AA 40 times and I have won 25.20$ and KK 40 times and I have won 1.54$. I feel like shit :[
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by boyadzhiev
      I have been dealt AA 40 times and I have won 25.20$ and KK 40 times and I have won 1.54$. I feel like shit :[
      Read some articles on psychology here on PokerStrategy article section. SSS is profitable but swingy (but not the worst case, try PLO or midstakes FL SH) and there will be days when almost all hands you will push will loose. If you can't handle it, it is better to quit poker.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gedwashere91
      Originally posted by ironmask92
      So true. PartyPoker is covered in shortstacks which just can't pay off your big hands enough to make pure SSS profitable, even though most of the players are fish. I switched to SnG's because of this, I was down about 7 BI at NL10 on SSS and i've already recovered most of that within the space of 8 $1 SnGs.

EDIT: So far i've found PartyPoker SnGs RIDICULOUSLY fishy.
      Party is working out quite well on NL10 for me, a SSS. I'm up about $50 over 10k hands. I don't know what i'm doing differently, I did start using the Silver articles but those are pretty much useless on NL10 because opponents are so bad. I've also started loosening up with hands like KJs when in late position, and AQ in early as well. Most of the time raises are called with jack shit as well so if you raise, get called and it shows a dry board, it does not mean they haven't hit because they could have called your raise with 85o or something.
    • ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      Party is working out quite well on NL10 for me, a SSS. I'm up about $50 over 10k hands. I don't know what i'm doing differently, I did start using the Silver articles but those are pretty much useless on NL10 because opponents are so bad. I've also started loosening up with hands like KJs when in late position, and AQ in early as well. Most of the time raises are called with jack shit as well so if you raise, get called and it shows a dry board, it does not mean they haven't hit because they could have called your raise with 85o or something.

How can NL10 SSS be working out for you if there are not enough big stacks at NL10? Or did you find tables at party on NL10 that have big stacks that i don't know about, :p Please oh wise one, give me a hint, :p
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      There aren't as many big stacks as I would like, but I can usually 6 table NL10 with 5 or 6 big stacks on each table :)
    • boyadzhiev
      boyadzhiev
      Bronze
      well, that explains it. sss is only profitable if there are enough big stacks at the table, otherwise - its a waste of money and effort. I can hardly find any table with more than 3 big stacks on ftp :(

I started playing BSS 3 days ago on 0.01/0.02 and I can tell you guys that its very profitable as there are so many fish players on this limit.
      So an advice to all SSS players - play full stacked until your BR is good enough for NL50. It won't take long.