SSS winrates and swings

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi

I've been playing SSS for 5-6 weeks now. At NL10 I was really up and down but finished with a winrate of 4.4 bb/100 hands over about 35k hands. At NL25 I've had a winrate of 2.1 bb/100 hands over about 15k hands. I know the sample sizes are really small but is this normal? What is a good goal for a begginer, like 5+ bb/100 hands?

How many buy-ins is it normal to swing up and down during one session? How many hands does it need to last before it's a real downswing and not just normal ups and downs of a session?

Thanks
  • 30 replies
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      HI,

10BI in a session is my stop loss. If I reach this I am forced to take a break.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      any positive bb/100 is good for sss. its rare to see over 2bb/100. usually i go up or down by 5 buy ins during the course a session, i always try to end it positive. i even extend sessions beyond what i want to get positive.
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      My swings are something like 250bb a session. I dont think thats serious downswing. Winrate ~7bb/100. I go for nl10, since i feel there are more SSS food there: fishes build large pots with sensless hands. I dont go up for now.

GL :f_thumbsup:
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slowshow
      My swings are something like 250bb a session. I dont think thats serious downswing. Winrate ~7bb/100. I go for nl10, since i feel there are more SSS food there: fishes build large pots with sensless hands. I dont go up for now.
      Ha?
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      Ha?
      Yeah, i'd like to see some graphs!
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      I'm not sure about the "right" long term winrates on different limits, but when I was playing SSS @ PS on NL10 had 5.6 bb/100 (though only 16k hands so very likely just running good) on NL25 3.4bb/100 (27k hands, I was playing 6.7/6.2 Vpip/PFR, so pretty basic sss) On NL50 @FTP I was just breaking even and left SSS :f_frown: IMHO 7bb/100 with basic SSS isn't doable in long run.

Edit: checked my old garphs, and on NL25 biggest losing streak was 17 BI on 2.7k hands, but tilt was involved as well :)
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by drawback
      Ha?
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Is the EV line in PT3? I have a trial, how do I see it? Or is it only in HEM?

Johnny you've played more hands in Nl25 than I have, how many Strategy Points do you have? How are you not gold yet?
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Ha?
      This are not swings of 250bb per session.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by THeGaME23
      Is the EV line in PT3? I have a trial, how do I see it? Or is it only in HEM?

Johnny you've played more hands in Nl25 than I have, how many Strategy Points do you have? How are you not gold yet?

@THeGaME23 - The all in EV line is under the graphs tab and then select "allin EV" from the drop down menu. It is in HEM as well but called something else. As for my gold status I think it's just cause I took 8 days off with the flu. Then I came back to a down swing. So I got about 35 points total over 13 days. I'm at about 220 SP for the last week so I should get there soon. I'm not playing much recently either. Maybe I'll try to get some more volume in and climb to NL50 with rakeback.

@Everyone - Thanks for the responses guys. I was really just curious and wanted confirmation of the thoughts I was already having. I'm still atleast 2-3 weeks from Gold status here. After I read the gold articles hopefully I'll have a bankroll to take a run at NL50. I was asking these questions becuase I'm trying to figure out a BRM that suits me. 30 BI is a little aggressive for me. Thanks again.

Cheers
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Ha?
      This are not swings of 250bb per session.
      Sure they are not :f_wink:

Last 3 sessions:

135 + 135 != 270bb

130 + 140 != 270bb

145 + 90 != 235bb

Thay are not swings, they are waves ... yea ...
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      So 258,3, not 250 :f_biggrin:
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      I was asking these questions becuase I'm trying to figure out a BRM that suits me. 30 BI is a little aggressive for me.
      If you never want to have to move down you need closer to 100 BI. 30 BI is only going to work if you are willing to move down when you only have 30 BI left for the previous level.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      I was asking these questions becuase I'm trying to figure out a BRM that suits me. 30 BI is a little aggressive for me.
      If you never want to have to move down you need closer to 100 BI. 30 BI is only going to work if you are willing to move down when you only have 30 BI left for the previous level.
      I don't mind following BRM and moving down levels when neccessary. My concern is the swings I have that are tilt. I'm working on controlling this but it still happens from time to time. I've turned a couple bad sessions into really bad sessions. I'm at around $300 right now but I'm not sure that I'm ready for NL50. I moved to NL25 when I had 40 BI and I almost tilted myself back to NL10 in the first 2k hands. I'm thinking of moving up with 40-50 BI. Will that be a safe amount to cover a small downswing and some mistakes?

Thanks
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Well, its my humble opinion, but move to next limit only when You are comfortable. Even if we, posters, will tell that's its ok to move, You will anyway question Yourself and it will have impact on emotional stability. Move when You feel that its ok to do that. :f_thumbsup: On theory downswing's can destroy any bankroll at any limit. I think focusing on emotional stability training(countering tilt) is more useful than trying to earn more money switching to higher limits. As beginner i try to to think like that for now.
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      When I already have 40BI of the next blind level then that is the time I take stabs on the next level and thread carefully.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      @slowshow- you're right I know it really comes down to me and my confidence. I feel that I can win at NL50. I just don't want a repeat of what happened when I moved to NL25. I ran into some badbeats then tilted. When I reviewed my poor play and saw all the mistakes I made it destroyed my confidence. I guess I'm thinking that if I have a larger safety net I'll be less worried about some losses and play better.

@tac3znarf- when you start trying a new limit do you play a whole session at that limit or play a session with tables at 2 limits? I've never really considered trying a new limit while still playing my current one.

Thanks
    • MickeyDD
      MickeyDD
      Bronze
      I'm at 1bb/100 after 120k hands at NL10 and got swings up to 30bb per session.
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      I finally fully recovered from my bad luck/ tilt sessions. I went down $80 (1/2 of BR) in 2 days. But since then i've been able to play well and have a steady graph line up and now im back in the positive. And with rakeback im doing nicely. As long as you dont tilt SSS is nicely profitable.