[NL2-NL10] QQ 6 max all-in pre-flop?

• flopraiser
      I've watched some of the strategy videos and they recommend trying to get pocket queens all-in pre-flop on 6 max tables. 4 times in the last week i've managed this and come up against AA or KK every time as below. I'm intersted on other peoples thoughts on this, would I be better calling a raise for set value or folding a 3bet against relatively tight players. What stat do I use to show all-in pre-flop stats for villan? Appreciate any help.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      MP2 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, CO raises to $1.80, 4 folds, Hero raises to $4.60, CO raises to $11.83, Hero calls $6.05.

Flop: ($22.73) 5, K, 4 (0 players)
      Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($22.73) 7 (0 players)

River: ($22.73) 7 (0 players)

Final Pot: $16.68.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, queens and sevens(Q Q).
      CO shows two pairs, aces and sevens(A A).

CO wins with two pairs, aces and sevens(A A).
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

That's a really tricky spot and you could write a whole book on it.

I myself i'm a firm believer that in today's games you'll burn yourself bad by overplaying QQ preflop at the microstakes level, as there are still a ton of people for whom a 3bet/4bet only means KK+. I know Kaitz disagrees with me on this, and i'm sure it's different across the different poker sites out there, but against people who seem to have a clue about the game, you'll indeed run into KK+ way too often imo.

As usual the strategies on the site are general guidelines, if you find it doesn't work for you over a decent sample you're free to try something new, tho you'll also get into troublesome situations by calling 3bets with QQ: who'll see Axy Kxy boards often and will be left guessing, and if you get action on a non Axy Kxy board, you'll still be stacked by KK+ all the same barring some heroic folds on your part.

Just try and play it closer to JJ than KK for a while and see how that goes for you until you get better at hand reading.

Hope it helps.