This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] QQ 6 max all-in pre-flop?

• flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      I've watched some of the strategy videos and they recommend trying to get pocket queens all-in pre-flop on 6 max tables. 4 times in the last week i've managed this and come up against AA or KK every time as below. I'm intersted on other peoples thoughts on this, would I be better calling a raise for set value or folding a 3bet against relatively tight players. What stat do I use to show all-in pre-flop stats for villan? Appreciate any help.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $4.18
      BB:
      $10.97
      MP2:
      $11.33
      MP3(Hero):
      $10.65
      CO:
      $11.83
      BU:
      $12.94

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      MP2 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, CO raises to $1.80, 4 folds, Hero raises to $4.60, CO raises to $11.83, Hero calls $6.05.

Flop: ($22.73) 5, K, 4 (0 players)
      Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($22.73) 7 (0 players)

River: ($22.73) 7 (0 players)

Final Pot: $16.68.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, queens and sevens(Q Q).
      CO shows two pairs, aces and sevens(A A).

CO wins with two pairs, aces and sevens(A A).
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

That's a really tricky spot and you could write a whole book on it.

I myself i'm a firm believer that in today's games you'll burn yourself bad by overplaying QQ preflop at the microstakes level, as there are still a ton of people for whom a 3bet/4bet only means KK+. I know Kaitz disagrees with me on this, and i'm sure it's different across the different poker sites out there, but against people who seem to have a clue about the game, you'll indeed run into KK+ way too often imo.

As usual the strategies on the site are general guidelines, if you find it doesn't work for you over a decent sample you're free to try something new, tho you'll also get into troublesome situations by calling 3bets with QQ: who'll see Axy Kxy boards often and will be left guessing, and if you get action on a non Axy Kxy board, you'll still be stacked by KK+ all the same barring some heroic folds on your part.

Just try and play it closer to JJ than KK for a while and see how that goes for you until you get better at hand reading.

Hope it helps.