Why the variance in FL Shorthanded is so...high??

• lichoman1
      lichoman1
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

Well, Ive read many times that the variance in FL Shorthanded is quite high, I just feel unconfortable with this idea because I had chosen Fixed Limit and Shorthanded the game I like to play and for now I guess Im running good (2BB/100, for over 10.000 hands).

However I want to know why the variance here is so high and how dangerous it could be.

Thanks!
  • 9 replies
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      I think it's a combination of looser play and the fact you cant price someone out if he has a decent draw.
      Since you get into more situations where your aces face j9o or whatever, it's bound to happen that your aces will get cracked more often.
    • lichoman1
      lichoman1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by enemaze
      I think it's a combination of looser play and the fact you cant price someone out if he has a decent draw.
      Since you get into more situations where your aces face j9o or whatever, it's bound to happen that your aces will get cracked more often.
      Then FL shorthanded is the worst game you can play???

I think its also the game where less winners there are, isnt it?
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Originally posted by lichoman1
      Then FL shorthanded is the worst game you can play???
      untrue

but yeh, if you can't handle huge swings then FL SH (or poker) is probably not the best choice for you
    • OlivierLu
      OlivierLu
      Bronze
      game with high variance are goldmine. The reason is simple : a fish can win steadly and be conviced to be a winner over few K hands althought he is playing like a shit. When he go broke, he think the variance is the reason and not is poker level.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      FL shorthanded is also a massive rake generator. Clear bonuses in record speed and worry more about your rakeback than your BB/100. :D
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      That's bad attitude I think :D
    • rex99
      rex99
      Bronze
      agree w taavi
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Well, if you are looking for swings go for PLO SH ;) .

Anyway, you have to beat rake at minimum. But I agree, rakeback/bonuses are essential. I do not see reason why should I be able win like 1BB/100 and keep house additional 3BB/100.

Regards

Funktor
    • OlivierLu
      OlivierLu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by funktor
      Well, if you are looking for swings go for PLO SH ;) .

Anyway, you have to beat rake at minimum. But I agree, rakeback/bonuses are essential. I do not see reason why should I be able win like 1BB/100 and keep house additional 3BB/100.

Regards

Funktor
      I do and I win there too ;)
      I've already found people not knowing the "exactly 3 common cards, 2 hole cards" at PLO50.