What is happening to me? :/

• mima2
      mima2
      Bronze
      I've been playing poker now for a few months.. And ive won but ive lost a lot more... And i just started at Partypoker last week with your guidence.. Ive read 7 books so far about poker, and i basicly know everything there should be to know.. And i am having Psychology at school so i know a lot about that too, which makes my feelings not occur in my poker play, but still makes me "the looser". Poker is a good game, and i like playing it because its a lot of fun for me.. But please read what i have to say, and i hope to get some good answers ty.

I can sit and play one day where i can win maybe 1 or to SNG, and then it all just goes bad i just cant catch a good card then i get frustrated, and i keep opening SNG after loosing those others.... This tho leads me to get a lot of chips in the third,4,5 or 6'th SNG and i keep playing tho still im loosing, and i sometimes dont understand these beats i have no clue of what it is, i know its a little tilt, but how can it continue for a week.. I have been following the PS_sng_basic_handout, and i have been following it, but i just cant understand why i am loosing all the time. Can it be my patiance of waiting for the good cards, is there a way to get your self thinking straight and just play the good hands, because i can Watch a lot of people winning tons of money on so bad cards that you would say "WOW thats impossible", f.eks. I had KK the position was UTG 2, and i would raise a little here to 300 - Sitting in a SNG 1$ 10man.. Well i raised to 300, and all folded up to the button now he calls and the SM fold and BB calls, Flop is Q 4 7 - BB, makes a raise to 500 and i make all in here. Because he would have raised me if he had something good preflop, tho Queens cant beat me, 4 and 7 pair either so i think i did a good all in.. Button folds and he goes all in.. He shows pocket pair of deuces, ("WTF???" i think yea nice - Well turn is now a 9 blank for both of us but something tells me im gonna loose, and the second i thought that a damn deuce came..... Weird things, always happen... Well still this might bee me, but i think this is just HUGE luck for my opponent.

Hmm now i just wonder what can i do to make my gameplay improved so i can get the side of winning on my side.. I've tried a lot of things watching good players play, trying to make decisions for them stuff like that... Played poker over and over again at free money tables "tho i know they are sometimes Weird to play with, gooing all in with 5 9 isnt the best decision but, poker is poker...", and still i just cant make a what u call "winning streak", this is now making me a bit "Sad" or if u can say that, but i just wanna win something to make the mood of mine go up so i wanna make this progress!! i wanna be a good poker player! i wanna start winning, i am willing to get pro help or whatever, because i feel i know everything i have to know, ive read a lot of people, and ive made a lot of good decision, but besides all that i still end up loosing.... Tho something makes me feel like im trying to hard, maybe i should let loose a little bit.. And take a "chill pill" i really need some guidence tyvm..

Mirnet Maslo
  • 10 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Stop playing S&G's and start playing Cash games....Varriance in S&G's is brutal! REEALLY brutal and unless you have the mindset to cope with it your setting yourself up for a fall. I'd recomend starting playing FR NL. Moving to SH NL when you can beat NL50/100.
    • Falco84
      Falco84
      Bronze
      "I can sit and play one day where i can win maybe 1 or to SNG, and then it all just goes bad i just cant catch a good card then i get frustrated, and i keep opening SNG after loosing those others.... "

You've said it all here. You gotta control your emotions when you play poker.

A few months ago I heard someone on WPT saying, (can't remember who it was) that Poker is the hardest way to make easy money. At first I didn't quite understand the words. But after 3 months, of playing day by day poker, trying become a proffesional, I learned that the emotions are the most important thing in this game. At one time you feel like you can lift the world with your bear hands, and ten minutes later you wanna cut your throat out and give it to your german shephard sleeping next to you. The stress that this game gives is immense and you should learn to cope with it.

If you feel that you are angry and that you keep opening SNG's out of anger, you deffinately should take a break, and cool your head.
    • mima2
      mima2
      Bronze
      Stop playing S&G's and start playing Cash games....Varriance in S&G's is brutal! REEALLY brutal and unless you have the mindset to cope with it your setting yourself up for a fall. I'd recomend starting playing FR NL. Moving to SH NL when you can beat NL50/100.

Sound like a good idea to keep Playing those freerolls to get the feeling of when to stop and when to know what is happening which could make me get out of the varriance "tilt" im in and know before it happens "how to controle it", i just couldnt see that one my self tyvm.. Tho i have a Question, NL 50 / 100 This requires a really high bankroll atleast 5000$ right?, And Partypoker only has the NL to "25 / 50" with a min 1000$ Requirement. But could u explain, what you mean about just starting playing cash games, do you have a good structure of how to go on with it that way?
    • mima2
      mima2
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Falco84
      "I can sit and play one day where i can win maybe 1 or to SNG, and then it all just goes bad i just cant catch a good card then i get frustrated, and i keep opening SNG after loosing those others.... "

You've said it all here. You gotta control your emotions when you play poker.

A few months ago I heard someone on WPT saying, (can't remember who it was) that Poker is the hardest way to make easy money. At first I didn't quite understand the words. But after 3 months, of playing day by day poker, trying become a proffesional, I learned that the emotions are the most important thing in this game. At one time you feel like you can lift the world with your bear hands, and ten minutes later you wanna cut your throat out and give it to your german shephard sleeping next to you. The stress that this game gives is immense and you should learn to cope with it.

If you feel that you are angry and that you keep opening SNG's out of anger, you deffinately should take a break, and cool your head.
      Well i can see what you mean about this, ive been there and done that.. Tho i am looking for a answer of, how too coop with it.. F.eks. how did you maybe coop with the variance in the poker play, is there a good way of dooing this? And how to keep out of this problem again... What signals i should watch more, tho i know about variance... tyvm ..
    • Urbanen
      Urbanen
      Bronze
      A very good way of calming down,for me, from tilt is analysing what you did wrong. Just by doing this your mindset changes, being a psychologist you should be able to evaluate what you did easily enough. And it makes you a better player.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I dont think playing limit will help as this game is truely brutal for varience.

It sounds to me like you dont have a full plan when playing sit n gos, make a plan.

i.e. early stages I am only going to play AKo, AQs+, TT+

middle stages........ect ect make a plan and stick to it, once you have a plan the beats dont really matter anymore just keep playing the same way(as long as it is a good plan) you will win in the end.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      i know what's happening to you... you're transforming... into a potato!

Now seriously, if you want to get results you need to do 3 things i guess:
      1. Know what you are doing (your expected ROI has to be positive)
      2. Put a big volume (i made it a rule to play a minimum of 10 normal SNG's per day)
      3. Have (a lot of) patience (try as much as i can to analyse my results ONLY at the end of the month, not to torture yourself with everyday variance).
    • randomdonk
      randomdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mima2
      i basicly know everything there should be to know..
      change that thinking or u're bound to stay on the micros till u're finally fed up.
      u'll never know everything there is to know. that's part of the fun :D

edit: read all the OP now :D
      u need to watch vids and attend coachings so u can understand the reasons behind the actions and not just do what a hand chart tells u to

edit2: ok, read the whole thread now. god im lazy :D

Originally posted by mima2

Sound like a good idea to keep Playing those freerolls to get the feeling of when to stop and when to know what is happening which could make me get out of the varriance "tilt" im in and know before it happens "how to controle it", i just couldnt see that one my self tyvm.. Tho i have a Question, NL 50 / 100 This requires a really high bankroll atleast 5000$ right?, And Partypoker only has the NL to "25 / 50" with a min 1000$ Requirement. But could u explain, what you mean about just starting playing cash games, do you have a good structure of how to go on with it that way?
      he means nl50 or nl100.
      i wouldnt advice u to just change games because u're losing at something though. play whatever u like most and use everything at hand (teh internets) to improve ur game EVERY DAY.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andreibalint
      i know what's happening to you... you're transforming... into a potato!

lol
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Trust me, variance is a bitch at low limits FR NL as well. SOOOO many times I get my money in preflop with the best hand and get sucked out (KQs vs. 26o just then!!! FUCK POKER!!!!!!!!!!!), have KK or QQ and run into aces, etc. etc. etc.
      I think its just something we really have to learn to deal with as poker players. I also think that if you're putting your own money into your account, expecting to win it all back at some stage, there is a time you need to stop putting money on and realise that a). poker may not be your game or b). you may have a gambling addiction

I myself had a pretty brutal downswing of a session today, I had that above hand, my aces got cracked, my queens ran into aces, but I won a couple of hands and then rivered a full house Kings full of Jacks (I was ahead anyway, didn't need the full house :P ) and tripled up, which made me only down -.5 buyins for the day. Yesterday was a lot worse. But the day before that I made a slight win, and I'm confident i'm playing (mostly) good poker, with only a couple of leaks that I know I can fix.
      I would strongly recommend getting tracking software (PT3 or HEM) as it lets you analyze whether or not you were tilting by replaying hands etc. and is just a really valuable resource. I got PT3 the other day and haven't regretted it once; its fantastic.