Do you meet this play???

• cvora
      cvora
      Bronze
      I am just out of tourney(598 people started down to 67....me) when UTG raised i shove 14 blinds with AKo and get insta called by 3rd guy who holding 22, UTG folds......Now i am short stack, and maybe 22(but with big M maybe) is right call, but he have UTG raiser in hand, and he havent some stack(he invested 1/2 with that call), so cannot fold if UTG shoves.......I am wondering what was in his head, and what he can beat with 22, and he get, lets say, deep in tourney....with that play he is extremly lucky till then or i am missing something, cause from my point of view, 22 is not even considerable as call.

Any thoughts of this play?
  • 13 replies
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      You don't need to think about this play = big fish
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      this is of course a horrible call. he probably wasn't thinking at all

did he flop quads? =)
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Maybe he had reads on UTG, like UTG player PFR range is very wide. Maybe Your PFRR range is wide too.

BTW any pocket pair have edge over Your AKo preflop, so showing 22 against Your AKo is profitable. But im not tourney player. I would act as villain if i had reads about very loose and wide preflop raise ranges of UTG and You. But thats from cash players point of view, probably its wrong in tourney.
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      He won with pocket 2s ? Damn what a suckout, I definetely wouldnt call 22bb with pokcet 2s.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      LOL
      lets see, UTG raises, should be a reasonably tight range, big part of which is pairs (= we're in very bad shape). but oh sure!!! some of the time we're a 51% to 49% favorite, yay!
      then Hero in the hand 3bet pushes allin, so yet again a player who'll have pairs very often..
      but no worries! i haz a pear, snapcall with dem deuces ldo!
      (UTG is still left to act behind us.. but cmon! 22>AK so it's okay)
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Played a bit with Equilator, playing 22 here would require mega wide PFR ranges from opponents, so unless You and UTG are raising and reraising every second hand, its wrong what he did.
    • randomdonk
      randomdonk
      Bronze
      it's an awful call, even on bb vs sb first in imo
    • cvora
      cvora
      Bronze
      Thanks, i thought so, but happens very often, to be called down by pair 55 and less, even if i am early raiser ( much of a time i am reraised by this micro pairs), and there is no set value when blinds are 300/600 and u have 12k chips
    • pokermyth
      pokermyth
      Bronze
      Yes bad call, this happens to so many times. Lots of players seems to make bad call, end of the day theres 7 cards and some players play on luck. Ill tell you i wish i was lucky no use making the right plays and lossing.
    • LetchLord
      LetchLord
      Bronze
      yeah - I wouldn't even consider calling with 2s, as I would be an underdog sooo often ... even if it's 51:49, you'd still loose 49% of the time and reduce your chances of winning the tourney by a lot.

However, I often get this play against me - I push with AK,sucker calls with one of the lowest pairs 22 - 55, I don't hit and I'm out of the tourney... I hate it when they call me with those sucker pairs and even risk their tourneys with that..
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Getting it in with 22 is the right play, ask Cada
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      its not a bad play guy's since it's a 50% to win alot of the times.

BUT, since it is half his stack in a tournament i think it was not a good call. since any higher pair and he would be dominated. if he was deepstacked and it was like 10% of his stack then it would have been a good call but 50% of your stack to have a 50% chance to win or be completely dominated is not good play..

and btw. You really think 88 or even TT is much better then 22 when a player with 13BB shoves all in deep in a MTT? because the chances he would risk his tournament with an A-6 or A-7 isn't very likely he would probably have A-K, A-Q maybe even K-Q etc.
    • cvora
      cvora
      Bronze
      Happens again :-)

Vilain had 22

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$80/$160 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $3660.00
      SB:
      $10480.00
      BB:
      $5520.00
      MP1(Hero):
      $1042.00
      MP2:
      $1565.00
      MP3:
      $1265.00
      CO:
      $6630.00

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, J.
      Hero raises to $1,042.00(All-In), MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1,042.00, 4 folds.

Flop: ($2324) 5, 8, 8 (0 players)
      MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($2324) T (0 players)

River: ($2324) 9 (0 players)

Final Pot: $1282.