Pocket 7-9's

• THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Hey guys just a quick question.

I know the SSS starting hands chart says to raise these hands if there arent any raisers before us when we are in late position. But say we are on the small blind (NL25) and there are 3 limpers, it says we should raise to $1.75, but the problem with these hands on lower limits is your often called by loose opponents with KJ, KQ, AJ etc. And %90 of the time you will get at least 1 caller, if there are over cards on the board your kinda screwed. Your out of position against a loose opponent and since we already invested a lot of our stack a standard Cbet would commit us so it says we should push directly. And in my opinion often they either hit an over card or they will call with some sort of gutshot or back door crazy draw with over cards to our hand and will have a good chance of beating us.

Which is why most of the time I just complete the small blind for set value with pocket 9's or lower. Is this a bad play? Or would it be better to push directly pre flop creating the most fold equity and often we will be the favourite to win if called by a single opponent? And even if we get no callers we take down a nice $1 pot.
  • 2 replies
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      My rule is 3 limpers is a push with a hand I would raise with (just check that there are no really tight players limping ep as it could be a trap)

When I'm on SB with two limpers and a stack 18bb or under I also prefer to push. 88 and less complete for set value, but don't do that with much smaller stacks because of less implieds and also sometimes if BB is aggressive you will need to fold too much.
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RahXephon1
      My rule is 3 limpers is a push with a hand I would raise with (just check that there are no really tight players limping ep as it could be a trap)

When I'm on SB with two limpers and a stack 18bb or under I also prefer to push. 88 and less complete for set value, but don't do that with much smaller stacks because of less implieds and also sometimes if BB is aggressive you will need to fold too much.
      Thanks for the feedback :)