jogging with sore ankles (see last post)

• raun
      raun
      Bronze
      hello i was just wondering if there is any extra danger of injuries if i go running with muscles that are allready sore?

i am thinking of overload injuries in particular.
  • 15 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      No real danger... muscle soreness is mostly lactic acid and light exercise should help process this. After a couple of minutes your muscles should loosen up - unless you've had a heavy loading in which case you can feel like you're dragging your legs around for the whole run. Not dangerous though as far as I'm aware (as an enthusiastic amatuer in a long past and recently returned present runner).

You should make sure you do proper and extended stretching though to avoid injuries 5 mins stretching after a warm up, and 5 mins (at least) after you've finished. TBH I'm slack warming up at the start of a run, but I ALWAYS warm down stretch and it works well.

Also, cold baths should help reduce swelling in the muscles if you can handle it. :)

Oh, and if you haven't already, get properly fitted for running shoes at a running shoe store (not the local sport supermarket - unless they have a specific service) and save yourself from horrible injuries down the track.

Hope this helps.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      wow thanks a million for the great reply. i do have good shoes and i also heard that thing about cold baths.

i actually heard that all streching does is make you muscles more flexible and that it isnt really neccesary.
    • clarkie1989
      clarkie1989
      Bronze
      if its because youve already been training then the soreness is to due to something called delayed onset of muscle soreness, not dangerous though. Basically as said before is due to a few things such as the build up of lactic acid in the muscles. the cool down is a good way to try and stop this. slow to a brisk walk for 5-10 minutes and make sure you stretch out at the end of the run. and you can take a cold bath if you want but personally i think youd have to be completely mental :f_biggrin: id take the soreness any day.
      however if its your joints that hurt or start to hurt id recommend doing a lower impact form of exercise like cycling instead.

with regards to the stretching not being necessary its to stop your muscles tightening up post exercise which can be a factor in the soreness and also could increase the risk of injury. its a pain but id definately stretch!

edit just seen i posted pretty much exactly the same as waiboy so about as useful as a chocolate teapot. ah well at least you know for sure its nothing serious
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      thanks for the advice guys :)
    • DjAdolfMixer
      DjAdolfMixer
      Bronze
      I get shin splits after 2.5 - 3k run, takes roughly 3 days to recover. Would like to go for a run atleast 3 days per week
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DjAdolfMixer
      I get shin splits after 2.5 - 3k run, takes roughly 3 days to recover. Would like to go for a run atleast 3 days per week
      Get your foot posture assessed, orthotics may help the problem, also make sure you do plenty of calf stretches, both with knee straight and bent ( to affect both gastrocs and soleus).

A low dye taping technique can often be a good indicator as to whether orthotics could be helpful, you can find details on it online.

The part you wont like.....relative rest is also needed, maybe a couple of weeks off running, and then easing back in slowly. If you need any more detailed info feel free to let me know.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      This thread was always going to end up as "Ask Aussie Ian!". :f_p: :f_love:

Off topic: How did that Bledisloe series end up? I missed the last 7 games in a row.
    • DjAdolfMixer
      DjAdolfMixer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      This thread was always going to end up as "Ask Aussie Ian!". :f_p: :f_love:

Off topic: How did that Bledisloe series end up? I missed the last 7 games in a row.
      Is rugby in Australia even a legitimate sport now?

Why on earth they got a 5th super rugby team is beyond me
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      Hey, I see NZ made it to the world cup in South Africa...well done, some late nights for you guys??

(phew, deflected the rugby talk.....)
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AussieIan
      Hey, I see NZ made it to the world cup in South Africa...well done, some late nights for you guys??

(phew, deflected the rugby talk.....)
      Oh flower of Scotland la da de da....
    • DjAdolfMixer
      DjAdolfMixer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AussieIan
      Originally posted by DjAdolfMixer
      Get your foot posture assessed, orthotics may help the problem, also make sure you do plenty of calf stretches, both with knee straight and bent ( to affect both gastrocs and soleus).

A low dye taping technique can often be a good indicator as to whether orthotics could be helpful, you can find details on it online.

The part you wont like.....relative rest is also needed, maybe a couple of weeks off running, and then easing back in slowly. If you need any more detailed info feel free to let me know.
      Already noticed a difference,went for a 4k run last sat no probs

Anyone watched invictus,film about the 95 world cup.Clint Eastwood, Matt Damon & Morgan Freeman are involved.If its the quality of Million Dollar baby & mystic river then it will be excellent
    • mrjorisa
      mrjorisa
      Bronze
      just slowly condition ur body. i'm running 5km 5x a week, sometimes with sore muscles but just make sure you relax and stretch/cooldown sufficiently after each workout. needless to say, exercise is extremely beneficial for your poker game :)
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      i trained athletics, everything from 400m to 10km so if u need some tips about running, buying proper shoes, etc. feel free to msg me :D
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      i have progressed pretty far in my running program now and i wont be long before i run the 5km which is my current target.

my ankles are starting to hurt though and i know that i have weak ankels from when i played football. so i twisted them easily and got injuries. one in particular but i dunno what its called in english but basically what happens what you twist your ankle and strain something in the foot or something like that.

anyway should i be conserned about the ankles or just keep running?

my running shoes arent the best just some i got pretty cheap but atm i'd rather not spend money on new ones.
    • Dvince900
      Dvince900
      Global
      I'm running 5km 5x a month soemtimes good result and make sure that you relax after every work.