Weekly Vote: How was the WSOP Main Event Final Table?

• Poll
    • Weekly Vote: How was the WSOP Main Event Final Table?

It was pretty bad, in my opinion
        43%
        It was OK, I guess
        30%
        I stopped following after Ivey was eliminated
        15%
        It was great!
        11%
      Total: 99 Votes
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

As most of you should know, we have a new WSOP Main Event champion. (for those of you who don't know this, check the reports here and here).

Now that the whole thing is over, what do you think of it? Did it live up to the expectations? Were you sad about Ivey's fate? Did you like it when Cada doubled up time and time again? Was it funny when Darvin Moon fell asleep at the table?

Let the discussion begin!
  • 20 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I enjoyed it but I was really disappointed how IVEY got railed.
      It would of done wonders for the poker world if he won.

IMO the Final table seemed a bit to aggressive for me, there were points when players were shoving 30BB+ when they didn't have to.

Congrats to Moon and Cada, but IMO these two didn't deserve to be where they were at.
      Moon was just boxing the whole thing and cada got really lucky, i mean how many 80/20's did he win.
      sickness.
    • joehahaha
      joehahaha
      Bronze
      Luck is part of the game justkyle88. Take everything, give nothing.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      that's poker. it's not news that the lucky donk rapes the seasoned pro. once again the final table shows what mtt poker is all about
    • mayoctt
      mayoctt
      Bronze
      loldonkaments. Far too many suckouts.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by joehahaha
      Luck is part of the game justkyle88. Take everything, give nothing.
      Don't worry. I grind MTT's.
      I've had my fair share of lucky runs. :f_biggrin:
      Hopefully more boxing..lol
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      Moon played that 87 hand heads up about as bad as one could. Cada played horrible throughout and won. Ivey and Schulman went out early... All in all, a horrible final table. If the WSOP is filled with 6,500 Cadas, someone bankroll me immediately because even I would crush that field.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      doesn't matter if u crush the field when it's about luck
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Really too much luckboxing, feels like the best hand didnt hold up once which kinda... kills the feeling of it all.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by Fongie
      Really too much luckboxing, feels like the best hand didnt hold up once which kinda... kills the feeling of it all.
      thats why I prefer watching cash games rather than other Poker events ...even though luck is a factor the stacks can just be replenished and the action doesn't slow down..and the potsizes in terms of dollars are sickining for us normies :f_biggrin:
    • igor35
      igor35
      Bronze
      What do you think about the hand moon had KQ and begs AQ where moon laid it down with 7 to 1 odds? Mathematically it was the right play actually even if he couldn't know it.
    • tally49
      tally49
      Bronze
      I was always of the belief that luck accounted for 20% in poker and 80% skill. After watching final table I would almost have to reverse those stats. Both players heads up made some terrible plays but hey! I was just an onlooker. Maybe skill will win it next year!
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noclaninator
      Moon played that 87 hand heads up about as bad as one could. Cada played horrible throughout and won. Ivey and Schulman went out early... All in all, a horrible final table.
      +1

Honestly I wish Antoine would have won the whole thing. We really need more French players playing poker! :s_biggrin:
    • TheRebuz
      TheRebuz
      Black
      live poker is rigged :s_mad:
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Everyone thought they were in the push fold stage with way too many chips. But I guess since the big stacks were being so aggressive, if you have a medium hand and just raise 3xBB theres a good chance he will push over you since Moon was insane at doing that. It made for a incredibly bad/ lucky final table.
    • spit22
      spit22
      Bronze
      all those people who say cada played really bad don't see the whole picture. yes he got it bad numerous times but not because he is a bad player rather than the fact he was unlucky to get it bad in the first place. if your approach is a mathematical one you raise with 22 on the button and get reraised all in or 3-bet from BB you have the equity to call or shove if you think BB's range is quite large. it's an aggressive play but that's what got him there in the first place.

i agree that his reading ability might not be so good as other players but even Ivey got bluffed when he had JJ against the sevens of saout.

i enjoyed the whole main event and final table and finally i think all the players at the final table were very skillful even if not obvious to some, although i wanted ivey to take it.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      To spit22:

That 22 vs QQ was worst play ever, he had like ~30BB? BB I think. He's ahead against AK AQ AJ AT KQ, way behind against all pairs, and still needs to dodge high cards if opponents had unpaired high cards. You can affort to wait for better spots, really (if you're a good player, that is) ((if you're bad - sure, let's flip it)). It's not 1K gtd you know, why call a shove with deuces, which are never, I repeat, never a big favourite against any hand which would 3-bet.

Ivey did not get bluffed, come on! Ivey's range is wide, because he's top pro and capable of playing tons of hands preflop. Saout has sevens - nuts against Ivey. Since he just reraises and not shoves - shows strength. Saout has been pretty tight and Ivey does not want to run into higher pair or flip against AK. That's what I think atleast.
    • DevilDonk
      DevilDonk
      Bronze
      he didnt call a shove with deuces, he shoved, big difference
    • AlexMala88
      AlexMala88
      Basic
      I thought it was entertaining but way more "luck" involved than previous years. Joe Cada was the luckiest followed by Moon - coincidentally they were the last two involved, lol.

Goes to show how big of a factor luck can be during a single tournament - I guess the old saying, "I'd rather be lucky than good any day" held true this year.
    • spit22
      spit22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DevilDonk
      he didnt call a shove with deuces, he shoved, big difference
      yes i couldn't remember it exactly, so that definitely makes it a better play. i have to agree that i would never call with 30BB left with 22 at that stage, but shoving makes much more sense. hands lika Ax up to Aj might fold , against AQ , AK is a coin flip, and even pairs like 33,44,55,66 might fold

and ivey got bluffed. if you read people well and replay the hand for like 7-8 times you'll see it clearly that saout wants phil to fold, that's why he 3-bets and not shoves. he wants to show big strength since ivey raised in early position and he uses his image with that 3-bet. Even the commentator says something about that. saout knew he had the worst hand and i don't think phil's range utg there was at that final table THAT wide. Even if he's top pro he was shortstacked. At best saout had a coin flip.

of course ivey doesn't want to run into a higher pair or take a coin flip vs AK at that point, saout knows that and hence his play