Tight Agressive/Loose Aggressive Style?

• AlexMala88
      AlexMala88
      Basic
      I've been playing poker for 20 years now - no limit hold em for the past 8 or so. Up until recently I was a typical TAG style of play - see only 20% or so of flops, raise a lot pre flop and go all in post flop, etc. That style made me some profits but mostly break even after the rake. Seemed to work in tourney play as well but I would only cash in 15% - 20% of the tourneys I would play in.

Recently I've developed a new style based on experience and feel. I switch from TAG to LAG back to TAG and so forth - depending on the table, the players, etc...it has worked wonders. I may play a crazy LAG style for an hour or so, seeing upwards of 40% - 50% of flops, limping in with any high suited cards, raising with anything as low as A-10 suited. Continuation betting, firing up to 3 barrels at times, depending on the player - I've tripled my income from poker from doing this. This is micro stakes of course - .25/.50 limts and a range of tourneys from $10 - $25 buy ins. - Now cashing in upwards of 40% - 50% of them.

If you have only been playing poker for a year or so I wouldn't recommend trying anything of the sort, you may blow your bankroll. I do a lot of this from "feel" and knowing the playing styles of my opponents.

The main reason I changed my style is that I got so sick and tired of waiting for the pre-flop monsters, putting all the money in and then getting sucked out on by J - 9 off. Now, I'm the one sucking out (if they let me limp in of course...lol) and it feels great!
  • 1 reply
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      As Harrington said, it's when you do the opposite of the norm that you make your big wins. If you get known for a trait, it will be the hands where you do not show these tendencies that pay you off.