ICM Trainer Questions

• Ramble
      Good Day fellow PS'ers...

I had the following scenario in the ICM trainer:

My cards: Q:spade: 3:club:
      Blinds: 80/160
      Hero's Stack (SB): 1110
      Villain's Stack (BB): 1890

So Push or Fold? I said Fold, correct answer was Push. Looking at the calculations page I see the following:

Player....Pre-EQ:...............Post-EQ:..............EQ Diff.:

So I am not really clear what I am looking at here - what is Pre-EQ/Post-EQ? (I'm assuming EQ=Equity?)

Does this tell me how big a leak I have in my game if I fold in this spot every time? Because pushing with Q3o in this spot is going to be a hard one for me to adjust to unless I'm playing against a very tight HU player. I would normally fold and hope to get a marginally better hand to push with in the next hand or two.

I am familiar with, but far from mastering, concepts like Equity and EV... so my question may seem silly, but I'd appreciate your feedback.
  • 3 replies
    • Ramble
      Still hoping someone out there can help me with this one?
    • andreibalint
      It's a very very marginal push. But you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of factors to keep in mind.

ICM is a theoretical model after all. And theory may give you some ideas how to threat situations, but it doesn't mean it's always right. ICM doesn't consider player experience and future hands (i think).

So let's take Q3o in the SB. This is what i would do:
      -For 7BB i would push into a tight player if there are more than 5 players left.
      -For 5BB i would push any 2, unless the BB is very very loose
      -For 5BB or more i would fold on the bubble Q3o when not chipleader
      -If i was chip leader i would push into the shorty but he musn't be very short (like 3BB).
      -If there were like 5 players and the blinds will increase in 15seconds i would push that Q3o unless BB is a maniac.
      -I wouldn't push almost anything into a players who will play clear fit-or-fold on the flop and doesn't raise if i limp. I limp, and bet any flop.

So try to analyse the situation more.
    • darcheck
      first of all sry for my terrible english... i dont use icm trainer but i think i can help u...
      eq = $ equity... so if u fold then u loosing 2.724889% of prizepool... for example if this was $5 + $0.3 HU then fold mean lost $0.2724889... but icm is not that simple - this eq correspond to player who calls about 27% of the hands (kind of tight player)... in case oponnent is even tighter the difference ( or the lost) will be even bigger... but even if this player call w any two u should push, the difference in this case is only something like 1.35%... actually u should push 60.5% of cards against player who plays any two... and push any two in case his range is <= about 37% there...

but there is one more thing u should consider... if the oponnent is too fishy... u should avoid marginal situation and fold hands even if its actually means bad move according to ICM...
      more fishy the oponnent - the bigger edge u have against him - the bigger EQ diff u should have to push( or call) - this is because u can get more value from him than from player who plays exactly like u and marginal situation is just too risky and not necessary against fish. But 2.7% is rly big edge :D and u should push there every time