Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $5.22

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q:heart: , Q:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, MP3 raises to $0.65, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.45.

Flop: ($1.37) 5:spade: , 6:club: , K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, MP3 raises to $3.00, Hero...?

Is QQ good enough to go broke against unknown villains in NL5 despite a 3bet pre-flop? The 3bet shows knowledge, and a scare card on the flop is never nice. Is it even worth making a Cbet in this spot?
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Are you saying he was unknown at the time of the hand? If he's really unknown you can likely check/call once if he makes a reasonable bet.

But 14/14 over 56 hands pretty much makes him a tag, and since he should be 3betting pretty much AK/QQ+, maybe JJ in those positions, i think you can even c/f that flop instead of donking it for information. He won't always bet JJ since you could have the K and he doesn't have many bluffs in his range, maybe none at all, so it's not like you're losing anything by check/folding the very likely worse hand at that point.

Hope it helps.
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      Hi,

Are you saying he was unknown at the time of the hand? If he's really unknown you can likely check/call once if he makes a reasonable bet.

But 14/14 over 56 hands pretty much makes him a tag, and since he should be 3betting pretty much AK/QQ+, maybe JJ in those positions, i think you can even c/f that flop instead of donking it for information. He won't always bet JJ since you could have the K and he doesn't have many bluffs in his range, maybe none at all, so it's not like you're losing anything by check/folding the very likely worse hand at that point.

Hope it helps.
      Thanks for the review tamairlarace! I think I need to state before my next postings, that I don't use the HUD while playing, since it's only NL5 and you very rarely encounter the same people. This is why I'm asking you to take another look at this hand please. I did fold to the flop 3bet, which I'm guessing is the correct move then?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Once you donk out and he raises, without a read on him, folding is the only option, which is why you usually want to be confident that you're beat when he raises if you take that line. Since you don't know anything about him i think check/calling a c-bet is better, he might bet worse hands when you check to him to represent the K and most people at nl5 will probably assume you have the K if you stick around, so i doubt they'd shove garbage on you on the turn and you'll get to showdown.

I don't hate the donk line that much but really you're betting for information with two goals in mind: not get bluffed off the best hand and being able to get away cheaply. This will usually result in your bets getting called only if you're toast, and this is a very bad habit to get into.

Hope it helps.