min raisers

• royalz
      royalz
      Bronze
      Hi I received my starting capital a few days ago and have played ~800 hands so far, I was doing great ($14 up) but had a horrible session today, I've played 300 hands and lost close to $20, I haven't deviated from the SSS at all, it has just been a horrible streak of bad beats by mainly lower pockets hitting trips.

Anyway, I just have a few small questions:

A couple of times now I've folded pocket 8s, 9s etc from CO due to a single min raiser, is this the correct move with hands like these? If I had a slightly stronger hand such as AQ should I still fold in late position to a single min raiser?

If there is a pre-flop raise, and then several callers, do I still refer to the row on the chart of 'exactly one player has raised before you' ?

If I check BB with a hand like 67s and hit a flush draw on the flop do I still just check, even if I'm last to act or heads up?
  • 4 replies
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      What limit are you playing? On NL10 and lower it is almost impossible to lose and win that quickly playing SSS.

In my opinion min raisers should be counted as normal raisers because you just don't know what they are thinking especially on lower limits. They could just have a medium strength hand and think they should raise but dont want to raise too much. Or they could have a monster and want to raise but dont want to scare people into folding. Fold pocket 10's and lower and fold AQ and lower to min raises. Except from a min raise from late position and you are in the blinds, then you can open up your re raising range to AJ-KQ-88 since they are most likely to be stealing, but only if the raiser had raised from late position (CO, BB).

If there is a raise and several callers yes you should treat it like "exactly one player has raised before you" but in this instance if you have a good hand (AK, QQ+) you should go all in directly if there are more than one caller to a raise. Because you want to raise 3x the original raise size + the same original raise amount per caller, and if there is more than one caller this will probably be more than half of your stack. And if eevr you have to commit half of your stack you just go all in.

Yes you should always check draws in a free play situation since you haven't made anything yet. Always take the free card unless you were the original raiser. In a free play always wait until you have made a strong made hand (flush, straight etc.) to bet.
    • royalz
      royalz
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice, I'm defiantly playing NL10, I've actually uninstalled fulltilt just for the moment as I'm in the middle of University exams are really should be studying not playing poker, so once they are over I'll post up my stats etc...
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by royalz
      Thanks for the advice, I'm defiantly playing NL10, I've actually uninstalled fulltilt just for the moment as I'm in the middle of University exams are really should be studying not playing poker, so once they are over I'll post up my stats etc...
      Haha understandable, i'm in University was well :s_cool: , good luck :)
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      since you are only starting out, i say play 1-2 tables, focus on the play on each table and observe others play too so you can start learning.

once this happens, you will be able to assess a situation better regarding such moves you are wondering about.

for the time being stick to the strategy. fold AQ/AJ/TT/99 to a reraise.

make correct continuation bets... and so on.

the more experienced you become the better you will be at making such decisions.

it takes time

gl with your exams