nl100/200HU-Showdownmonkey goes down

• markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      hey everybody,

i am Markus and i am a student from germany.
      I play poker serious since dezember 08 and started with nl 10sh.
      Reaching nl100sh i was searching for a new challenge and started playing HU.
      I finally decided to start a blog to improve my game by dicussing some hands with you guys, and get some motivation to play more.
      The main reason why i choose the english comunity is that i want to improve my english skills as well...so please feel free to correct my mistakes i know i make a lot ...:) another reason is that the english comunity is more friendly.

I hope i will get some feedback soon.

Greetz Markus

By the way: Can me pls sombody explain how to post my holdem manager images (how is it called???)
  • 84 replies
    • markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      one hand from my last session i played against a very aggresiv regular.
      After this hand he tilted a bit and i could win about 5 stacks of him..

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Hand abspielen

$0.5/$1 No-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)

Known players:
      SB(Hero):
      $256.67
      BB:
      $121.20

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J.
      BB raises to $3.00, Hero raises to $10.00, BB calls $7.00.

Flop: ($20) 5, 5, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $12.00, BB calls $12.00.

Turn: ($44) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $28.00, Hero calls $28.00.

River: ($100) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $71.20, Hero calls $71.20.

Final Pot: $242.4.
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Hey, welcome to the English community!

The way I post pictures: I "print screen" what I want to post and then upload it to a image hosting site, and then post the URL here. I use picoodle.com to host the images.

BTW, you didn't post the results of the hand :D
    • markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      he ended up having JTo for a bluff.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      HU is always interesting, post more hands here :)

To post holdem manager images:

- launch holdem manager;
      - click ctrl+PrtSc to make a picture of what is displayed in your monitor;
      - launch image editing program, like MS Paint (I would recommend IrfanView thou);
      - press ctrl+v OR click Paste and the image will appear in the program. There you can edit it and save as .jpg or .bmp or .gif or whatever;
      - open imageshack.us;
      - upload your picture;
      - copy the link that will be displayed in the site ("direct link to the image");
      - when posting here, click on "Select image" (it's on the top of where you're typing your text, next to such icons as B I U etc. There you will be asked for a link to your image. There you will paste the link that was given in the imageshack.us page, after you uploaded your picture;
      - that is all.

Good luck :)
    • PokerRoad
      PokerRoad
      Bronze
      Hey Markus, I play NLHU also and will try follow this blog.
      Can I just say prety sick river call ...mabey even a bit spazy if im honnest

Gl at the tables ;)
    • markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      first off all thx for all that feedback and the tips for posting images

to the hand:
      I dont realy know if the rivercall in a vacuum is +ev but if you catch a bluff in such a situation in the match you will have the momentum totally on your side and your oponent might tilt, what is the most import if you play regs HU.
      he had 0% fold to 3 bet till this hand and allways played back hard, so he has a very wide range on the flop, if he calls i put him on a lot of floats, 9x, 5x but he would sometimes raise those small to induce a shove from AK kind of hands, some pocketpairs( but the most he would 4 bet call pre),
      so i call the turn with the plan to call some rivers and to see him give up on some.
      I liked the river because i didnt expect him to value shove 8x, 9x.
      he did bet very polarised. so his value shoving range is 5x, 67 and Kx (floats) but i even saw him cb very strong.
      88 and 99 he would 4 bet call a lot.
      ->call river
      Hope that makes sense.

Greetz

here my hu overall image
      10% nl50
      85% nl100
      5% nl200

greetz and good luck to all
    • PokerRoad
      PokerRoad
      Bronze
      Think mabey your reason for calling otr(as a metagame call) to induce some sort of tilt is a little hopefull ( most thinking regs simply wont tilt here when they get called by A high type hands ...
      They will of course reduce the bluffing/thin value betting range, vrs you... this ok can fair enough, allow you to adjust to them and lay down to more value looking river bets ..(but this doesnt help you immediatly)..Prob better to create a tight table image to start with and then open up as the game develops otherwise it just become too hard to read how a decent reg is adjusting to you.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Hey pal,
      Nice start to the blog.

An advice from me:
      Do NOT use the print screen method. Just right-click on the graph and choose "Save Image As..." And just choose where to save it and you're good to go.

Gl,
      Kimber88
    • markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      @PokerRoad
      thx for your feedback, I didnt mean that the main reason for the call is to tilt him but it makes the call easier when you think the call is slightly +ev.
      I already had to adjust cause he was playing back hard and didnt folde to any 3 bet/ c-bet in 3 bet pot.
      If I play fit or fold the 3 bet is -ev against him. for sure hands like this make the thinking game harder and its absolutly not standart but i thought this hand would be a good opener for my blog :)
      what do you think about my analysis of the hand?

Today I 3 tabled an agressive opponent 2 table nl100 and 1 table nl200.
      First he 3 betet a lot and i started minraising, he adjusted and started to cc a lot and c/r nearly any flop. i tried to cb more flops and 3bet the flop, flaoting didnt realy worked out.
      i could win some moneyzzz on 100 but run bad on 200....buisness as usual :s_confused:

one hand of the session:

Play hand

Known players:
      BB(Hero):
      $149.20
      SB:
      $100.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5, 4.
      Hero raises to $2.00, SB calls $1.00.

Flop: ($4) J, T, 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.00, SB raises to $12.80, Hero raises to $32.00, SB raises to $98.00, Hero calls $66.00.

Turn: ($200) Q (0 players)
      Hero gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($200) 9 (0 players)
      Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $134.
      Results follow:

I think the 3 bet on the flop is ok, but what a about the alternatives?
      call flop and fold blank river ...so i can catch a lot of bluffs when the flush hits but i have to fold to many turns or can i even shove over a turnbet when he c/r so much and barrels a lot on further streets ???
    • PokerRoad
      PokerRoad
      Bronze
      In your second hand ..I think its good 3bet on the flop (well atleast the idea is right) just think to make that play its much better to have a much higher flush draw.)
      I know in HU play that statement may sound crazy but I think that he is gona be shoving an A/K high fd here atleast some of the time & nothin worse then losing to a high card if ye both brick it.

That all said I still think your play is fine (yet uncomfortable) and with his aggro factor- I think I would make this play too as your gona get him to fold a ton of hands you are in coin flips with. The problem mabey for us is that, when he shovs we are really in bad shape and are not not even flipping against any of his range( we dont even beat him if he's value shoving with a decent fd,which I eluded to earlier)

So mabey we can change the size of our 3 bet (higher to decrease the chances he see's a bluff is gona be effective ..& creates better odds for our call if he shovs. which is nice as if he has a set we dont even get all of our flush outs.ok we still have 8 but still -The better odds we create on our calln a shove ,the more +ev we make this tough spot for ourselves.

All in all .sticky spot and good decision
      (lets hope he didnt have a better fd) ?(
    • markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      Thx for you reply...
      I know what you mean with changing the size of our 3 bet, but i have to balance it with my madehands and purbluffs, normally i dont care that much about balancing my 3 bet flop range and betsize but against this opponent i have to because i am 3 beting the flop a lot to adjust to his c/raises.
      If i 3 bet bigger on this flop he would realize that i want to comitte me with a draw and his valueshoving range would become bigger.
      what do you think about the alternatives? and consider that i was minraising, so the pot stack ratio is a bit different than usual.
      I think the call is sligtly+ ev with pot odds 66 to 136

Operation beendet... 63.360 Spiele in 0 Sekunden berechnet.

Board: Jc Ts 3c
      Dead:

Equity Gewonnen UnentschiedenVerloren Hand
      Spieler 1: 33,559% 33,559% 0,000% 66,441% 5c4c
      Spieler 2: 66,441% 66,441% 0,000% 33,559% 33, AcTc, Ac9c, Ac8c, KcTc, Kc9c, QJs, Qc9c, J8s+, Tc7c, ATo, KTo, QJo, J9o+

everybody is invited to discuss my hands :)

another question:
      Has anybody eperience with windows 7, i am sick of vista but dont know if holdem manager and this stuff runs on windows 7 ???

I will update later, hopefully with some interesting hands ...

and pls feel free to correct my english ;)

Greetz and good luck for all
    • travoltaJOHNy
      travoltaJOHNy
      Bronze
      Nice thoughts and graph:) I'll have to follow your blog now:)
    • PokerRoad
      PokerRoad
      Bronze
      Originally posted by markus45
      Thx for you reply...
      I know what you mean with changing the size of our 3 bet, but i have to balance it with my madehands and purbluffs, normally i dont care that much about balancing my 3 bet flop range and betsize but against this opponent i have to because i am 3 beting the flop a lot to adjust to his c/raises.
      If i 3 bet bigger on this flop he would realize that i want to comitte me with a draw and his valueshoving range would become bigger.

Yes, good point, I was mearly just suggesting that mabey we could do something with our bet siezing here.
      Calling is an option ofc also although a weaker one, imo

Mabey a bigger raise could been seen by him as a top pair type hand trying to price him out of a fd (therefore get him to fold out tpwk or 2nd pair hands and plus fd of corse)..This makes more sence as many agg players of his type are cr their fd allmost always . So a large raise should be seen by him as a tp hand.

*Great blog so far -- you will be getting alot more feedback soon from other players I hope and this will be one of the best blogs here --So keep it up .. and gl at the tables :) *
    • markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      thx i am glad you like it...

to the 45s hand:
      I dont like the hand to much any more, i think its is still +ev against this opponent but the line i like most now is call flop shove blank turn or call turn if the flush hits.
      reasons:
      if the flush hits i will get max value out of his bluffs.
      -his range for going broke will get smaller on the turn he has to fold all his semibluffs (flushdraws,straightdraws etc.) and secondpair hands(which i saw him c/r)and maybe even some weak toppairs.
      - i get more value from the bluffs
      reasons against:
      - my equity sucks on the turn

when i have some more time i may trie to do a equityanalysis
    • markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      Ok first of all i try this for the first time with such a hand, so i am sure there are some mistakes in it or it is total bullshit.
      but maybe it will get correct with your help :)

especially the second example is very hard to calculate because of a lot of variables.
      so i tried to calculate the ev of the bluff if the turn doesnt comlete the flush and isnt a total blank, in case of a total blank or a 4/5 my ev even gets bigger.

1. ev 3bet flop
      assumptions:
      he never calls the 3 bet
      defending range 55% , c/r at least 50%-> c/r range 0,5*0,55=27,5%
      broke range: 33, AcTc, Ac9c, Ac8c, Ac7c, Ac6c, Ac5c, Ac4c, Ac3c, Ac2c, KJs, KcTc, QJs, QcTc, J8s+, ATo, KTo+, QJo, J8o+=12,25%
       FE = 55,5%
      Equity against broke range= 36,3%
      Ev(3 bet/broke)=0,555*19,8+ 0,455*(-95+0,363*200)=10,89-10,192=0,698

But I think his broke range and his c/r range are bigger so the ev remains the same or even gets worse.

2. ev call flop shove blank turn
      I don’t realy know what kind of turns I should use for the analyses.
      So I try it with the Q.
      I don’t consider a turn of c because I think that the ev is positive for this case.
      Assumptions:
      He barrels any turn
      Same c/r range
      Doesn’t call his draws he doesn’t get the odds with
      Broke range Q turn:
      33, AcTc, Ac9c, Ac3c, KJs, KcTc, QJs, QcTc, Q9s-Q8s, J9s+, KJo+, QJo, Q9o-Q8o, J9o+=10,11%
      FE=63,3%
      Euity against broke range: 17,8%
      EV(call flop shove turn)=0,63* (19,8+20)+0,37(-95+0,178*200)=25,074-21,978=3,096

Conclusion:
      Both bluffs are ok and against this opponent no big mistake
      But i think the call flop shove turn alternative has the bigger ev because i didnt consider the case there the flush hits. Or the turn improves my hand

so feel free to destroy my calculations :s_biggrin:
    • Woohoooo
      Woohoooo
      Silver
      I just want to say that I love your blog so far :D I've been looking for a good HU blog I can follow as I'm thinking about playing HU once my bankroll is high enough :)
      Thank you for this blog and Good luck to you :D
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      If he's c/r a lot, I like call and shove any turn, because he's just gonna have to fold a ton! Including the better FD like you said. I don't think he's c/r this flop with many stone cold bluffs, because there aren't that many. Is he gonna c/r something like 2 undercards that didn't connect at all with the board? If he has overcards he's got at least a gutshot to go with it.
      So I think on this board, his range for c/r is stronger than it would be in other boards.
      I think a call and a shove on turn will give him less options, as you will be the one shoving and he can only call or fold. By 3betting you give him the chance to think you're bluffing or semif bluffing to counter his c/r and then he ships his A high + gutshot or whatever.

So I like calling flop and shipping turn
    • markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      @caltabiano i totally agree with you

Today things didnt went my way, but unfortunately i have to admit that i could not manage to play my A-game.
      here the graph

Play hand

Known players:
      SB(Hero):
      $239.98
      BB:
      $107.20

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 9.
      BB raises to $3.00, Hero raises to $10.00, BB calls $7.00.

Flop: ($20) 7, 5, J (2 players)
      Hero bets $12.00, BB raises to $34.00, Hero raises to $229.98, BB calls $63.20.

Turn: ($347.18) 4 (0 players)
      BB gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($347.18) 3 (0 players)
      BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $283.98.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of nines(9 9).
      BB shows a straight, seven high(6 2).

BB wins with a straight, seven high(6 2).

thx for the positiv feedback that motivates a lot to go on blogging

But now enough poker for today, lets party...lets see if i can play some hands tomorrow or if my hangover kills me :D

Greetz Markus
    • markus45
      markus45
      Bronze
      Hey guys,
      weekend was fine but i had no timer for poker, was out both nights and was to tired to play poker.
      Today poker was fun, could find some fish and win some money :)
      But I had no interesting hands.
      If anybody has an interesting hand which he would like to discuss, feel free to post it here and we can analyse it together.

Greetz Markus