For those experienced live players.. How do you keep track of Villains´ plays?

• suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Do you count how many times they do this or do that in a X number of hands, like 3-bet percentage, post flop overbet percentage, etc?

Sumarizing, do you count and keep in memory the percentages of stuff they do or you just go by your gut feeling?
  • 5 replies
    • soonish
      soonish
      Bronze
      Lost without your PT3?
      That s why I don t use those software.
      I think you should see who is raising a lot who is folding a lot and play acordingly...(not sure about the last word spelling, does it even exist?)
      Forget the percent IMO
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      you won't play enough hands with the guy to have meaningful stats, even if you could remember all the stats.

you're not a machine. use a notes based approach. remember the hands he played, the lines he took with them.

Body language tells are also important to note down.

Forget stats when doing live play, its just not feasible.
    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by soonish
      Lost without your PT3?
      That s why I don t use those software.
      I think you should see who is raising a lot who is folding a lot and play acordingly...(not sure about the last word spelling, does it even exist?)
      Forget the percent IMO
      Not really, I don´t use tracking software as yet, just pay attention to what the guys are doing. But even if you´re a purist, you gotta admit that tracking software can do a better job than just your gut feeling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point is... what if you play regulars at live poker, you might very well have a sample big enough to get meaningful stats.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      I've been playing live with the same group of guys for about 4 years now and I can honestly say that in all that time I've only picked up 2 specific tells.

Yes I've gotten to know their playing styles well and can adjust to them, but I couldn't tell you stats on them with any precision... I just go by what I'd call "a learned gut-feeling".

In the short term I think you have to play cards and position until you have enough experience with the other player to be able to understand his play.
    • soonish
      soonish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ramble
      I've been playing live with the same group of guys for about 4 years now and I can honestly say that in all that time I've only picked up 2 specific tells.

Yes I've gotten to know their playing styles well and can adjust to them, but I couldn't tell you stats on them with any precision... I just go by what I'd call "a learned gut-feeling".

In the short term I think you have to play cards and position until you have enough experience with the other player to be able to understand his play.
      Yeah, I think It s all about experience, and when you don t know you re oponent I believe that nothing is best than playing in position and observation... But it s easier said than done I guess