MTT question

• Diesel666
      Diesel666
      Bronze
      Hi All first post.... be gentle...

background
      been playing smaller MTT's (~ 50 players) using the basic strategies outlined here for 1.5 months.

My game has improved such that I am consistently making it to the top 15 with very minimum rebuys if any. I have managed to make it to the final table and place between 4th and 7th periodically.

However the problem I am encountering time and time again is that I lose control of my game at the later stages when there are fewer remaining players and I find that the blinds tend to eat my chip stack while I wait for playable cards.

I really need to fill the gap and any help would be appreciated.

thanks
  • 13 replies
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Position Position Position, all folded to you consider pushing with any two cards.......the latter parts of MTT's are usually donkfests with people pushing with any 2 cards, if you have the chips sit back and fold your way to better money unless of course you have a monster and if shortstacked widen your calling/raising range and you'll find the right balance.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      do pretty much the opposite of what acehole said. if ur short tighten up a bit but still push for instance: T9s with 10bb from the BU if ur first in.

if ur a bigstack: NO U DON*T SIT BAC AND WAIT FOR BETTER MONEY THATS THE DUMBEST THING ANYONES EVER SAID.

if ur a bigstack then u bully the shorter stacks that are trying to make it one step further on the moneyladder
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      do pretty much the opposite of what acehole said. if ur short tighten up a bit but still push for instance: T9s with 10bb from the BU if ur first in.

if ur a bigstack: NO U DON*T SIT BAC AND WAIT FOR BETTER MONEY THATS THE DUMBEST THING ANYONES EVER SAID.

if ur a bigstack then u bully the shorter stacks that are trying to make it one step further on the moneyladder
      1. do pretty much the opposite of what acehole said. if ur short tighten up a bit but still push for instance: T9s with 10bb from the BU if ur first in.

Tighten up let the blinds crush you so when you get AA and move all in you double up to 10,000 in chips with the blinds at 5000/1000....good theory. I like the way you follow that comment up with "Push with 109s" but tighten up lol

2. if ur a bigstack: NO U DON*T SIT BAC AND WAIT FOR BETTER MONEY THATS THE DUMBEST THING ANYONES EVER SAID.

Yeah final stages of tourney, call all sorts of random cards against short stacks to chip them up and become a severe threat to your stack....good thinking...good theory!! and certainly the dumbest thing you'll ever hear. The idea is to survive and cut down the odds to win. If like your example stated down to 8 players and you're the chip leader, I would encourage you to sit back unless you have a monster. Getting involved in coinflips when the shortstacks are forced to because of blinds etc is in my opinion stupid.

3. if ur a bigstack then u bully the shorter stacks that are trying to make it one step further on the moneyladder

Down to final 7/8 like he stated in his post, pretty much up there in the money ladder, final 24 different story or the bubble then bully but not in his example.

So ihufa thanks for the f*ck you post response, but I think you're DUMBEST PRICK here!!
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ImAnAcehole9

1. YOU SAID: do pretty much the opposite of what acehole said. if ur short tighten up a bit but still push for instance: T9s with 10bb from the BU if ur first in.

Tighten up let the blinds crush you so when you get AA and move all in you double up to 10,000 in chips with the blinds at 5000/1000....good theory. I like the way you follow that comment up with "Push with 109s" but tighten up lol

2. YOU SAID: if ur a bigstack: NO U DON*T SIT BAC AND WAIT FOR BETTER MONEY THATS THE DUMBEST THING ANYONES EVER SAID.

Yeah final stages of tourney, call all sorts of random cards against short stacks to chip them up and become a severe threat to your stack....good thinking...good theory!! and certainly the dumbest thing you'll ever hear. The idea is to survive and cut down the odds to win. If like your example stated down to 8 players and you're the chip leader, I would encourage you to sit back unless you have a monster. Getting involved in coinflips when the shortstacks are forced to because of blinds etc is in my opinion stupid.

3. YOU SAID: if ur a bigstack then u bully the shorter stacks that are trying to make it one step further on the moneyladder

Down to final 7/8 like he stated in his post, pretty much up there in the money ladder, final 24 different story or the bubble then bully but not in his example.

So ihufa thanks for the f*ck you post response, but I think you're DUMBEST PRICK here!!
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      firstly i said bully the shortstacks, meaning push first in, not call loose.

secondly: well my theory is the best, u can see it from results or if u watch some of the videos posted in the sng/mtt sections where the coaches will tell you the same thing:)

im not here to annoy you i just hate to see someone getting bad advice and ending up losing equity because he's afraid to play a big stack optimally.

no hard feelings
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      You really should try to get silver status and read the MTT articles, they help alot. Download the ICM trainer too.
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      firstly i said bully the shortstacks, meaning push first in, not call loose.

secondly: well my theory is the best, u can see it from results or if u watch some of the videos posted in the sng/mtt sections where the coaches will tell you the same thing:)

im not here to annoy you i just hate to see someone getting bad advice and ending up losing equity because he's afraid to play a big stack optimally.

no hard feelings
      +1 once you get a big stack bully your opponents, don't sit back and wait for your opponents to bust them. If your opponents gain their chips you'll lose your advantage. Calling with shit cards is not the same as being aggressive.
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Fair enough but he was talking final sorta 6 - 8.

Different strategy for a different player I was just posting my opinion and what works for me. Again an opinion that is mine but ihufa has dumbshit, stupid idiot blah blah blah my post.
    • Diesel666
      Diesel666
      Bronze
      Thanks guys,

I will try the theories out and see what will work for my game.

I have downloaded icm lite and have been going through it. Unfortunately I am still trying to get through the security/ID department and get my $50 deposit so I can get bronze then work my way up to the ladder.

Can someone give me an overview of what it is going to take to move up the ladder to silver and beyond. I am a little unclear and as soon as my ID passes the security I want to get on it.

Thanks!
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global

Different strategy for a different player I was just posting my opinion and what works for me. Again an opinion that is mine but ihufa has dumbshit, stupid idiot blah blah blah my post.
      I think he has good reason to, the way you sugest to play is extreamly weak and is never going to get you first.

If you beleive it to be optimal strategy then I think you need to have a think about why playing tight is the wrong thing to do.

But I guess you will just flame me now too
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac

I think he has good reason to, the way you sugest to play is extreamly weak and is never going to get you first.

If you beleive it to be optimal strategy then I think you need to have a think about why playing tight is the wrong thing to do.

But I guess you will just flame me now too
      Awww boohoo lennonac, I won't flame you I pwooooomise.

I read his original post as he was ok with making final table, down to 6-8 then goes busto. I suggested what works for me and that is......wait for a hand let the other stacks fight it out, reduce the field the you're able to attack 1 or at least less stacks with a premium hand. Again something that has worked for me but have been busted from a tourney in these situations for example KK vs A2.

I maintain that a tourney is about survival and if you can reduce the field as a big stack from 8 to 4 without taking risks with marginal hands and against people who are fighting the blinds desperate to double up, then you make a good strategic decision. I don't want to be a big stack and find myself in a situation where I take risks to end up being the desperate shortstacker pushing with junk.

So again my opinion, take it or leave it.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Hello guys,

I know we all may have different opinions, its inevitable but when there are differences can we please refrain from personally flaming the other as this will make a nicer community and therefore new members wont be scared from the forums.

To the OP's point i think a lot of what has been said is useful. However as soon as you gain your capital and start making strategy points to gain higher ranks then your can check out the MTT strategy articles --> http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/

Good luck and best regards,

-Jack
    • Diesel666
      Diesel666
      Bronze
      Thanks Jack . I look forward to gaining points and access to the higher level MTT strategies.