This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

When to stop

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Today I kept losing and kept playing. I felt I was playing the best poker I've ever played. I was getting action and taking bad beats. I just kept feeling that my hands would start to hold up. I kept my cool and didn't go on tilt. Just continued to play my A game and get it in with the best of it. I ran $130 below EV over just 2k hands playing NL25 SSS. I finally had to stop because my bankroll was getting destroyed. I honestly don't think I've ever played so close to perfect. I ran into a few coolers but the rest I was a huge favorite. I normally follow a 7 BI stop loss to prevent tilt. I broke that rule today because I was actually not really bothered by the bad beats. I was really happy to be getting action with such good hands. I don't really know where to go from here. If I'm just getting unlucky but playing great should I still quit my session? I didn't know that bad luck streaks could run like this.
  • 5 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      I would say you you are wise to have a stop loss limit and should have stuck to it. Just because you feel like you're playing perfect - you are still losing so maybe a break and a bit of analysis are in order just to ensure there isn't a big leak you're missing.

Best case scenario - you stop losing money, you analyze and find a leak.

Worst case scenario - you stop losing money, you analyze, find you were playing perfect and build confidence in your game.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      this has happened me a number of times. i feel im playing really well yet im losing everything and not much bothered because im playing so well. no matter how much i play that day i dont win and i find it hard to stop because im playing my best(or so i think). the next day however the universe goes back to normal and i can win some again.
      i cant understand why this happens but i do know that when it does happen im usually a bit tired from a few days bad sleep or an illness. i think this may make me adjust slightly slower than i usually would or play slightly less agressive in the spots that require power play.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      SSS is os damn swingy. thats why i quit it (well atleast part of the reason)
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fun101rockets
      SSS is os damn swingy. thats why i quit it (well atleast part of the reason)
      i think the swings can be controlled with experience imho.
    • showhand365
      showhand365
      Bronze
      When you feel tired and can't control yourself