When to stop

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Today I kept losing and kept playing. I felt I was playing the best poker I've ever played. I was getting action and taking bad beats. I just kept feeling that my hands would start to hold up. I kept my cool and didn't go on tilt. Just continued to play my A game and get it in with the best of it. I ran $130 below EV over just 2k hands playing NL25 SSS. I finally had to stop because my bankroll was getting destroyed. I honestly don't think I've ever played so close to perfect. I ran into a few coolers but the rest I was a huge favorite. I normally follow a 7 BI stop loss to prevent tilt. I broke that rule today because I was actually not really bothered by the bad beats. I was really happy to be getting action with such good hands. I don't really know where to go from here. If I'm just getting unlucky but playing great should I still quit my session? I didn't know that bad luck streaks could run like this.
  • 5 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      I would say you you are wise to have a stop loss limit and should have stuck to it. Just because you feel like you're playing perfect - you are still losing so maybe a break and a bit of analysis are in order just to ensure there isn't a big leak you're missing.

Best case scenario - you stop losing money, you analyze and find a leak.

Worst case scenario - you stop losing money, you analyze, find you were playing perfect and build confidence in your game.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      this has happened me a number of times. i feel im playing really well yet im losing everything and not much bothered because im playing so well. no matter how much i play that day i dont win and i find it hard to stop because im playing my best(or so i think). the next day however the universe goes back to normal and i can win some again.
      i cant understand why this happens but i do know that when it does happen im usually a bit tired from a few days bad sleep or an illness. i think this may make me adjust slightly slower than i usually would or play slightly less agressive in the spots that require power play.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      SSS is os damn swingy. thats why i quit it (well atleast part of the reason)
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fun101rockets
      SSS is os damn swingy. thats why i quit it (well atleast part of the reason)
      i think the swings can be controlled with experience imho.
    • showhand365
      showhand365
      Bronze
      When you feel tired and can't control yourself