[NL2-NL10] NL5 77 in SB

• brazyd
      brazyd
      Bronze
      Did I play the hand well? Could I maybe call the turn? He raised often when in position and cont. betting with nothing, which is why I called his raise in the first place and tried to take the pot from the beginning.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $7.94
      MP3:
      $5.05
      CO:
      $5.90
      BU:
      $0.00
      SB(Hero):
      $6.77
      BB:
      $6.63
      UTG1:
      $5.47
      UTG2:
      $5.50

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, 7.
      5 folds, CO raises to $0.17, Hero calls $0.15, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.39) 8, 4, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, CO raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.79) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.79, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.79.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

If he often raises with nothing in late position then calling to pick up the money is fine, but if he also c-bets with air most of the time then you're missing out on value from his bluffs by donking out into, which will usually result in him folding worse hands and calling/raising better hands in position and put you in a horrible spot. But you witnessed that :)

So since your hand is not strong enough to warrant you inducing bluff raises (you can't feel confident calling down after a raise with 77 can you?), you're likely better off either check/raising to trap a bet + tell him to go away, or check/call and play check/call or check/fold on the turn with a rough guess of how likely he is to continue firing into you with nothing. Since the board is dry and his play style / stack is coherent with that of a decent tag except for the weird minraise, he'll probably give up on the turn unless he improves or something scary for you comes, like a broadway card.

Hope it helps.