[NL2-NL10] KTo pairs on turn vs A.

• FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      When villain called I assumed he had A junk .
      Was turn push ok (I'm ahead 80% ) ?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $8.52
      SB:
      $3.00
      BB:
      $1.98
      MP2:
      $5.70
      MP3:
      $5.08
      CO(Hero):
      $5.64

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, T.
      MP2 posts deadblind, MP2 posts deadblind, MP2 checks, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.25.

Flop: ($0.69) 8, A, T (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.35, MP2 calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.39) K (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.50, Hero raises to $4.99(All-In), MP2 calls $4.49.

River: ($11.37) 8 (0 players)
      MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $6.88.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and tens(K T).
      MP2 shows two pairs, aces and eights(6 A).

MP2 wins with two pairs, aces and eights(6 A).
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Since you have no idea who he is except that he's posting out of position and already calling a raise with his random hand which makes him bad but you don't know how bad, i don't think you can assume that

- his preflop range is only Ax rags
      - he's stacking off to an overbet shove there with just any TPxK or draw

Only hands that will call it off for sure are hands like aces up, sets and QJ that beat you. I'd rather make a smaller raise to ~2$ to get value from flushdraws/top pairs/pair+gutshot hands. If he shoves you can still call it off if you want, if he just calls you get to see the river and make a better decision when in position.

For example 8/A/diamonds and to a lesser extent Q/J rivers are often bad for you (as well as maybe scary for him), you might want to check behind on those. Value shove the others, since there is more money into the pot and less money for him to call, he's more likely to go broke with marginal hands and since he didn't raise shove on you earlier it's also likely your equity is much better.

That being said as played he went broke with the hands you were targeting so it can't be that bad, i'm saying you can't make those assumptions for all unknowns and you'll often be able to get more value by not scaring them away.

Hope it helps.
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      Hi,

Since you have no idea who he is except that he's posting out of position and already calling a raise with his random hand which makes him bad but you don't know how bad, i don't think you can assume that

- his preflop range is only Ax rags
      - he's stacking off to an overbet shove there with just any TPxK or draw

Only hands that will call it off for sure are hands like aces up, sets and QJ that beat you. I'd rather make a smaller raise to ~2$ to get value from flushdraws/top pairs/pair+gutshot hands. If he shoves you can still call it off if you want, if he just calls you get to see the river and make a better decision when in position.

For example 8/A/diamonds and to a lesser extent Q/J rivers are often bad for you (as well as maybe scary for him), you might want to check behind on those. Value shove the others, since there is more money into the pot and less money for him to call, he's more likely to go broke with marginal hands and since he didn't raise shove on you earlier it's also likely your equity is much better.

That being said as played he went broke with the hands you were targeting so it can't be that bad, i'm saying you can't make those assumptions for all unknowns and you'll often be able to get more value by not scaring them away.

Hope it helps.
      Thank you,
      My volume is not high enough , less then 1k hands on this limit.
      But losing 3 BI on suckouts... annoying... (lost with QQ to Ax and KK to Ax)