Horrible first two days on free bankroll

• m5kpwns
      m5kpwns
      Bronze
      Hey everyone, I've just had the worst two days ever. I finished the quiz and got my 50$ capital, started playing 0.2$/0.4$ blind cashes as im used to playing cashes. I played well, bluffed some and ended up with a 2$ plus. I took a break for an hour and then it came. I got rivered three times with AA KK and KK. Went all in before the flop and once the guy called with A7 (got a straight), then my KK's were cracked with two pair on turn/river by 5 and 8 offsuit. The last kings were all in before the flop aswell against jacks. Guess what, you're right, he got a jack on the river.
      Lost around 10$ from of starting 50. I'm a new player to poker and every time this happens I feel the urge to quit, though I love the game, especially playing with my friends in real life.
      The thing that troubles me most is that it takes me an hour to earn 1$ and I can lose 5$ in 1 minute.
      What's the best way to cope with such bad beats? And is there a way to earn money faster or lose it slower? :\
  • 16 replies
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      It's ok to lose to BAD BEAT. Everyone experienced it once a while or continiously for several days/thousand of hands.

Me myself did lose to BAD BEAT for 3 days in a row losing almost half of my BR. It's took me about a week playing So Tight to get back my $$$.

However, 1 things for sure low limit is very swingy. DOnt aspect, to win with AA,KK everytime u have it.

My AA statistics show me i have only 70% of winning all in preflop.
    • m5kpwns
      m5kpwns
      Bronze
      Funny thing is, when I get hands like AA, or AKs i usually see the whole table, even the SB folding and one 2ct bet on the turn is enough to make them fold.
    • bogzypoker
      bogzypoker
      Bronze
      Don't play at 0.2/0.4 with 50$ in your bankroll. Play at 0.05/0.10 until 150$. Read the articles.
    • m5kpwns
      m5kpwns
      Bronze
      Are you sure? I don't think I'm good enough to play at those stakes.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      So you must be playing $0.02/$0.04 AKA NL4. :f_grin:
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      i had a 2K downer on nl100 so just suck it up ad keep playin
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by m5kpwns
      Hey everyone, I've just had the worst two days ever. I finished the quiz and got my 50$ capital, started playing 0.2$/0.4$ blind cashes as im used to playing cashes. I played well, bluffed some and ended up with a 2$ plus. I took a break for an hour and then it came. I got rivered three times with AA KK and KK. Went all in before the flop and once the guy called with A7 (got a straight), then my KK's were cracked with two pair on turn/river by 5 and 8 offsuit. The last kings were all in before the flop aswell against jacks. Guess what, you're right, he got a jack on the river.
      Lost around 10$ from of starting 50. I'm a new player to poker and every time this happens I feel the urge to quit, though I love the game, especially playing with my friends in real life.
      The thing that troubles me most is that it takes me an hour to earn 1$ and I can lose 5$ in 1 minute.
      What's the best way to cope with such bad beats? And is there a way to earn money faster or lose it slower? :\
      Bluffing on NL4 tables? not a good idea! just play abc poker and don't try to outsmart other players with fancy moves.

If you're new to poker, open just one or two tables so you can observe how your opponents are playing (even if you're not playing the hand with them).

When few bad beats happen to you, close the tables and take a walk for a while or read some articles.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by yaxkukmian
      Bluffing on NL4 tables? not a good idea! just play abc poker and don't try to outsmart other players with fancy moves.
      +1

There is no reason to bluff in the micros. People are not playing on a level high enough to understand what you are bluffing. In addition so many people are attempting bad bluffs that people tend to call even with very weak hands. That's where your actual profit comes from of course.

You can google an article called "A Complete Guide to Beating the Micros" if you want a better explanation of these concepts.
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Are you sure? I don't think I'm good enough to play at those stakes.
      Me myself started on 0.10/0.25 limit and it less swingy compare to lower limit than this. My BR never drop below $50. I'm using SSS strategy.

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:

CO(Hero) = ($11.45) (started with $5 and double it up againts SB)

BU = ($6.90)

SB = ($41.78) - i made a note on him b4 he loveSSSS to reraise with marginal hand, ya big stack bully

BB = ($2.72)
      MP1 = ($5.60)
      MP2 = ($24.65)
      MP3 = ($5.00)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, BU folds, SB raises to $3.00, BB folds, Hero raises to $11.45, SB calls $8.45.

Flop: ($23.15) 7, 6, J (0 players)
      SB gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($23.15) 4 (0 players)

River: ($23.15) 2 (0 players)

Final Pot: $14.7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results follow:

SB shows a pair of twos(A 2).

Hero shows a pair of aces(A A).

Hero wins with a pair of aces(A A).
    • m5kpwns
      m5kpwns
      Bronze
      Thanks for the great info. I'm going to start playing by the book (or article) and keep the tricky plays to myself until i get to higher stakes. :)
    • steed89
      steed89
      Bronze
      Hi M5KPWNS As you stated

Have you ever considered Grinding out SNG's When I started with the $50 I plaid a few $1 now I am fairly comfortable with these However even making an investment of $1+0.20 to come 1st for $4.50 Isnt very profitable over time If you are looking to try and grow your roll at a decent rate.

By Playing $2+0.25 You can Play up to 3 for an investment of only $6.75 and even winning in 1 will still see you with a small profit of $2.25.

Lets say you play 5 SNG's per session at an investment of $11.25 (5X$2.25)

If you Hit, 1st x3 2ndx- 3rdx1 thats an intake of 32.40 Net Profit of $21.15

Over a 2-3hr period Thats a prety good rate to be growing your roll especially on a $50 starting roll. Thats like a 42% increase on your Starting $50.

I am now Playing $5+0.50 and have not looked back since.

This Method has seemed to help me along my way Not saying your guaranteed success as We all play different, But just somthing different to consider I guess.

Hope I havnt confused you too much Feel free to ask any questions.

Steeeeeeeeeeeeed
    • m5kpwns
      m5kpwns
      Bronze
      Well now I'm down to 30$ and the fear of losing all of my bankroll is getting bigger. The last time I lost my buyin was when I made a big mistake, however I've learned from it. I had TT, flop came J,6,3, I bet, he called, turn 8, I bet, he called, river T (got trips), went all in just to find out he was holding trip J's. I should have folded TT after I saw the J.
      Anyways, I've changed my game a lot. I've stopped bluffing and playing marginal hands just because I was bored or in position. I'll give an update of my progress later. Cheers.
    • squallofreeves
      squallofreeves
      Bronze
      what? 30$? then you don't have to worry so much mate.
      Let me tell you my story.
      I was down to 6 EUR on Friday the thirteen- 4/5 of my capital gone. You may pretty much think i'm a goner but after 9 games in the span of 2 days, i got one third of them back. That's about 17$ so i'm far worse than you mate.

Just stick to your bankroll management. Do not play limits below what the BRM suggests, do not play limits much higher too... and set your loss-limit for each day. If you lose six buy-ins, stop. In that case you don't have to worry about going bust too soon.
      Do not bring fear of losing into a game. With that mindset you've trouble making it to the money, let alone winning. Well, of course i'm talkiing about SnGs here. I don't suggest cash games for beginners.
    • m5kpwns
      m5kpwns
      Bronze
      Well, I lost one SnG and played some more cash games this session. I found out that the micro games are full of regulars, I see the same 4-6 people playing 4 tables and having big stacks everywhere I go, I guess it's time for a break. Anyways, after this session im down to 25$. I don't know what's wrong. It simply looks like bad luck at the moment as I either don't get any action or get in a hand with a calling station who rivers me after calling 3$ of bets. Last one was, I believe, when I had AKs, picked up an A with a friendly flop and lost 5$ after the guy called everything with 36o hitting two pair on the turn and river.

A few more examples of how I lost SnG's:
      Pushed all in with KK trying to steal the blinds and SB called with A8o, got two pair on the flop.
      Called an all in with AJs. Villain had AKo. This of course was my bad.

Just tried to play .10NL and I got outplayed horribly, down to 20$ :\

I'm playing on PartyPoker if that's any help.
    • m5kpwns
      m5kpwns
      Bronze
      Hoorah, hoorah. I finally found my place at the tables.
      This morning I decided to try playing 4 tables of NL0.4 so It would be easier for me to muck dangerous hands like KQs ant etc. Played for around 2 hours, started with 20$. Got one bad beat, went down to 18$, then got rivered giving me trips and him a straight (at least this time I knew I was beat and folded) even though I had put in most of my buy-in to the pot. At that point I was down to 12$, however, I sticked to playing tight and after 1 more hour I was 10$ up. Now I'm sitting at 22.5$. Hopefully I can keep this up.

Update - went down to 18$, now at 26,3$
      Update2 - Finished tonight's session with 33$ :)
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Gold
      Funny thing is, when I get hands like AA, or AKs i usually see the whole table, even the SB folding and one 2ct bet on the turn is enough to make them fold.
      I know it feals like that somtimes, but it's just your opponent doesn't have a hand, But when they do have a hand, say 10 K suited, and you have aces, and the flop comes 2 7 K, you just keep betting strong so you can get them all in by the river.
      Good luck at the tables dud :f_biggrin: