SSS $0 to $1500 in 6 Weeks

• mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

BRAG ALERT!!!

lol I'm so happy right now.

I started on Blue Square Poker (ipoker network) on the 11th Oct. They offered 10c single table sit & go freerolls and other micro sit & go tournaments. Got a couple of $'s together and short stacked cash games.

Left there with $35, added $45 of my own money to deposit $80 on to Cake poker on the 19th. Started short stacking 20nl and the odd micro MTT and grinded my way up to 50nl and a $450 bankroll in 2 weeks. I used a 20 buy in rule for bankroll management.

I then moved this bankroll to Pokerstars on the 9th of November. Lost $150 the first day but then grinded hard for the last 5 days to make $630 this week and finish on $1071.39 :D

I plan to continue improving my game and increasing my roll. Hopefully i'll be at something like $3000 by January instead :P

Thanks for reading :)

Mch123
  • 22 replies
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      nice work!

might want start being a bit more tight on the BRM tho.

The player levels start improving quite a bit once you move to and past NL100
    • mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      Yeah i'm playing 200nl now. Probably going to settle at this level for a while and mix in some 100nl. I still find that although the level of play has greatly improved at this level, many players still play very badly against short stackers. Which is great for me :D

Is a 100 Buy In bankroll management too conservative if i'm looking to at least make a part time job of this? I think i can make more than enough to meet my requirements but i'm going to play some more before i fully commit to this.

thanks for reply

Mch123
    • Shinersen
      Shinersen
      Gold
      hi. i want to say that i can`t play SSS profitable on stars :| even at nl10...
      do you use basic strategy ?
    • geedo1986
      geedo1986
      Bronze
      nl10 on pokerstars is pretty tight in my oppinion...i switched to nl5 on pokerstars and get a lot of money out there but on nl10 i suck totally with SSS...so just join nl5 with min of 2$ (well its noch 20BB SSS but you are shortstacked then with minimum) i got 20$ in that limit in the past 6 days. but someone told me that the SSS wouldnt work at nl5 with a 2$ buy in so i now decided to play FL because my bankroll is too small to play nl10 :-(
    • mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      The biggest problem i had at 10nl and 20nl was my expectation to win much more than what is practical. You'll often here of players talking about thier win rates of between 5 to 10 BB's per 100 hands and this is a steady figure but if you work it out it means your earning $1 per 100 hands. When you consider 1 table averages like 70 hands an hour, it then works out as $0.70 an hour which doesnt seem very good although it is a decent win rate.

So based on that my biggest advice is to play by the basic strategy across a couple of tables. Track your results using the pokerstrategy.com elephant software and try to achieve a similar steady win rate.

Also try to take it slowly and don't expect to gain too much in the short run. Play when you feel comfortable and if you get tired/bored/tilted. take a break and come back fresh in a day or 2. You are never going to make a lot at the micro stakes so its best to approach these games with the mentality of learning the game and leave the bankroll to build itself as you improve.

You can make some adjustments away from the basic strategy as long as you can justify why. If 10nl is tight, then you should do the opposite. Loosen up a little and steal from BU and CO positions with hands like small pairs and suited connectors. If you get caught at least these hands tend to play fairly well after the flop and you can always C-Bet in positions to take pots away from many poor players. Obviously be aware that as you loosen up, the table should also respond and loosen up as well. It's important to notice this change and tighten up when its appropriate.
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      yeah... but...
      NL10 isnt tight!!!!!! - use SHC ONLY
      Nl25 isnt tight either...
      but at NL50, you cant see uber donks too often...

PD: you should expect 2bb/100... and +20 BI Swings
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      Congrats on your winnings.

Nl100 in stars is still prfitable using the SSS being discussed in silver and gold articles. NL200 is different thou. A lot of players easily adjust whenever there are shortstacks on the table.

Good luck in your grind in stars. :)
    • mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tac3znarf
      Congrats on your winnings.

Nl100 in stars is still prfitable using the SSS being discussed in silver and gold articles. NL200 is different thou. A lot of players easily adjust whenever there are shortstacks on the table.

Good luck in your grind in stars. :)
      Thanks. I have PokerTracker and the stats it generates made 100nl really really easy to beat i thought. Maybe i've just been on a month long heater but what i've seen of 200nl so far it doesnt seem to hard either. Obviously i know what to look for when i'm playing and many newer players don't. The only difference i have seen is the number of bad tables that are running is far less than 100nl. This makes table selection far more important.

Good Luck to you too in your race with Raun.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Congrats! It seems you doing everything right. I am playing NL50 currently on Stars. With 130BI for that limit i still won't step up to NL100, until i reach at least a 3bb/100 hands win rate. The reason is bonus. Almost 500$ of my BR comes from bonus.
      I tried NL100 once and a lvl of play wasn't any higher then NL50. But NL200 could be the final limit for grinding. Everything higher requires more expirience.
      I think i'll start playing BSS on NL50 rather then SSS on NL400+.
      What do you think?
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      If I were you I would stay on NL100 for a while longer. You are going to go broke if you dont stay on constant upswing if you use 20bi rule. At least if you move down you will be able to stand a downswing. Typical downswing is about 15 buyins i'd say. Your bankroll cannot stand a $600 loss. $300 on the other hand is quite managable. Also, the skill increase from .50/1.00 to 1.00/2.00 is significant. Think about how long it will take you on average to build your bankroll up that fast. Assuming you have 20 buyins and a typical SSS winrate of 2bb/100, you need to play 20k hands to double that bankroll. I'm sure you probably played more like 5k hands to double the bankroll.

In conclusion, you are on a serious upswing. If you do not slow down, the first downswing you get will break you. Be careful.
    • mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      I know i'm on an upswing. I'll drop limits as soon as i lose 10 buy ins and my bankroll can no longer handle the swings of the current limit. I think i'll be fine so long as i can move down when its necessary to do so. I know i'm playing very good poker at the moment and the upwing is just multiplying the amount i'm winning.

Anyway i'm playing both 100nl and 200nl and settling here for a while till i have maybe 50 buy ins for the next level before i move up again.
    • mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      $1000 in 5 weeks
      $1500 in 6 weeks

Still running good and playing good. Stayed at 100nl because the 200nl tables are less profitable than adding a few more 100nl tables :) It also means i now have 75 buy ins to 100nl :D
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      I don't really know why, but somewhere between 0.50/1.00 and 1.00/2.00 all the fishes seem to die. It makes me very unhappy.

I have $1600 in my full tilt account and I think I will probably play BSS NL100 before I play SSS NL200. Anyone have any advice? What does it take to be profitable on NL200 SSS?
    • mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      yeah, i've only played 1000 hands of SSS at 200nl, but i found table selection to be a lot harder because there just isnt as many bad players playing 200nl. That was on stars anyway.
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noclaninator
      I don't really know why, but somewhere between 0.50/1.00 and 1.00/2.00 all the fishes seem to die. It makes me very unhappy.

I have $1600 in my full tilt account and I think I will probably play BSS NL100 before I play SSS NL200. Anyone have any advice? What does it take to be profitable on NL200 SSS?

There are still some fish on NL200, just make sure to tag them once you see them.

You will need to adjust your plays and you will need to raise a lot in position preflop in NL200. You shuld increase your non-showdown winnings cause this is where you will generate most of your income. Semi-bluffs are really effective in this level.

These are some adjustments I made in NL200. :)
    • mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      thanks for the advice tac3znarf.

What bankroll management strategy do you use?
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      I am a little bit conservative when it comes to BRM, I am using 50BI since my playing style is a little bit different than the standard SSS.
    • mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      i have 75 buy ins to 100nl at the moment. I was playing to a 20 buy in rule but now the money actually means something i'm a little more conservative. I've take a few stabs at 200nl. Played about 1000 hands running at 12.24bb/100 which is a good start lol.
    • Zemnieks11
      Zemnieks11
      Bronze
      tac3znarf you play BSS?