This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 SH AJs squeeze with fish in the middle

• koaesica
      koaesica
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $28.20
      BU:
      $94.70
      SB(Hero):
      $50.75
      BB:
      $9.80
      MP2:
      $52.30
      MP3:
      $71.55

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J.
      MP2 raises to $1.50, 2 folds, BU calls $1.50, Hero raises to $7.00, BB folds, MP2 calls $5.50, BU folds.

Flop: ($16) K, 7, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8.00, MP2 calls $8.00.

Turn: ($32) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $20.00, MP2 raises to $37.30(All-In), Hero calls $15.75.

River: ($105.05) J (0 players)
      Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $89.3.

I had no stats on UTG at the moment. Here I was 3-betting preflop for value to isolate the 50+ vpip fish BU. Is this reasonable? It didn't quite work out as planned, but the rest of the hand is quite standard I suppose.
  • 7 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      squeeze pf with that strong hand is fine
      not sure if mp2 could fold there Kx, but if you think he could, then bet/call 12$ on the flop and shove turn.
      This way you have the highest fold equity.
    • koaesica
      koaesica
      Bronze
      Would calling preflop also be good? Is squeezing better?
    • Cervus
      Cervus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by koaesica
      Without stats on the opponent, I'd think twice before 3-betting a bet from MP. I don't think the hero'd call a 4-bet, and it'd be a pity to turn such good a hand into bluff. In case the opponent called, even hitting a top pair wouldn't necessarily put hero in a good position (especially playing OP).

However, I'm not sure a call is much better of a decision. Tough choice :-)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I like calling more since it rarely happens that fish (depends on his VPIP/PFR, coldcall%) that calls a 3bet as well.

You might isolate yourself as well if you SQZ and Villain 4bets, fish definitly will fold. Moreover you do not isolate yourself OOP + against a tight range in case Villain will call.

Villain is also UTG so I should give him some credit, Kaitz?
    • TheRebuz
      TheRebuz
      Black
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      squeeze pf with that strong hand is fine
      not sure if mp2 could fold there Kx, but if you think he could, then bet/call 12$ on the flop and shove turn.
      This way you have the highest fold equity.
      this

+8 $ wont work there not even if he have qq there, and sure he is not folding KX on that flop

+
    • TheRebuz
      TheRebuz
      Black
      + THIS
      Originally posted by Gerv
      I like calling more since it rarely happens that fish (depends on his VPIP/PFR, coldcall%) that calls a 3bet as well.

#1You might isolate yourself
      #2 if you SQZ and Villain 4bets, fish definitly will fold.
      #3 you do not want to isolate yourself OOP against a tight range if MP2 just calls.

MP2 is practicly UTG
      after u bet flop and he dont fold u got to know that he is not folding on that turn nether
      so do u want to play for stacks??
      if answer is yes-> shove turn max FE
      if answer is no -> check fold turn/ or call a if he bets like 15-17$ and fold river if u dont hit ur flush
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by koaesica
      It depends a lot to the player.
      If he is tight then you´re not really turning your hand into bluff because his 4-bet is nuts close to 100%
      If he might 4-bet often (probably also as a bluff) then you can also 3-bet and then shove over 4-bet, but in general people are not really 4-betting there very light as a bluff.
      If you call then it is quite hard to play your one pair hand postflop, so 3-betting is better since if you flop top pair or flushdraw you can easily go with your hand