badpinguin
      Bronze
      Known players:      
      Hero:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $4.33

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:diamond: , Q:spade:
      MP2 calls $0.10, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, MP2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.05) 9:spade: , 8:club: , T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50 (All-In), MP2 calls $1.50.

Turn: ($4.05) A:spade:
      River: ($4.05) 3:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $4.05

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of queens (Qd Qs)
      MP2 shows a flush, ace high (Js Ks)

MP2 wins with a flush, ace high (Js Ks)
  • 6 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      NH! I think it's also alright if you bet $0,65 on the flop and go broke on the Turn.
    • badpinguin
      badpinguin
      Bronze
      is it because i have top pair and 4 outs myself for a straight? Should i consider the possibility of him holding JQ?
      I'm never too sure how to play top pair where there is straightdraw or flushdraw on the flop.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Yeah, the board is very connected here, but the fact that you hold QQ make it less likely that he has QJ, and if he has a J, you are holding 2 of his outs so it's harder for him to complete the straight.

a 2/3 pot-size cbet is usually enough to protect against drawy boards, but sometimes when the board is very ugly we might prefer to push directly as you did, as long as your remaining stack isn't much biger than the pot (up to 1.5x potsize).

You've got overpair btw ;)
    • badpinguin
      badpinguin
      Bronze
      That's what I meant to type :f_biggrin:

So would the story be different with let's say AA? I'm guessing not since the odds of him holding the straight are small and he probably is holding a lower pair or draw at best?
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      I'd still bet 2/3 pot with AA because your stack is not that small, but I'd probably push if remaining stack was $1.4 or less. If he has the straight you are beat anyway, so it doesn't matter how much you bet, and if he is drawing, a 2/3 - 3/4 pot-size bet if quite enough to protect your hand. you'll get called by a T, OESD's, sometimes even gutshots (KQ), of course you'll meet 2pair or sets from time to time.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey badpinguin,

nice hand, although I would as well prefer to raise 0.70$ on the flop and shove any turn card.

About your question, chances for villain flopping a made straight or a made flush are very small, so if he does flop it then so be it, but most of the time you will have to protect your overpair against different types of draws, so just bet bet bet on drawy boards.

Regards,
      burek2000