6-max, Cash Games.

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Firstlt let me get my excitment of my chest...OMFG 6-MAX IS SO FUN!! WHY DID I EVER SWITH TO FULL RING!?!?!?

Ok, now moving on....

Having played Full Ring for so long after having previously played 6-max i'v switched back...Full rings been boaring the crap out of me!

I'm starting out at NL5 athough im rolled for higher limits...i feel i need to get used to the changes and adapt back. Taking into acount theres alot of nobs/idiots at this limit what would you say optimal strategy shoulf be? What are good VPIP and PFR stats? At what point does AtackToSteal become to high? What ranges would you play against these oponents?

Is it ok open raising Axs from UTG+1, CO and Button? How would you play low and mid pocket pairs aswell as suited conectors? Gosh i have so many questions to ask! Last time i played 6-max i didnt have poker tracker (this was over 1year ago).

Basically i'd like to hear of experienced 6-max players knowledge and experience and any advice you can give. For now i just want to crush NL5 which wont be to difficult then i'll think about progressing back up to higher stakes.

Also is bluffing, c-beting and double barreling profitable at NL5 6-max?
  • 11 replies
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      On low limit there is ABC poker the best. I have stats about 22/17/2,5 (but I think its not very good).
      As you know, position is more important than in FR games, so play a lot of hands aggressively on position. Play less hands aggressively from blinds.
      Remember not to limp. On lower limits (fishier opponents) play hands that can hit TPGK or something more than drawing hands (connectors) because you cant bluff them out very often and you hit you TP more often than straight or two pair.
      Opening Axs from UTG: well I used to do it, but it is not so good move. On BU you openraise every Ax imo (on BU you can play profitable almost 50 % of hands.
      Low PPs: openraise from every pos., I tend to call raises before me for set value. Mid PPs are somewhat harder to play postflop (you have to make marginal calls often because of one overcard on board). But still I dont want to 3bet them often.
      Suited connectors: I openraise them from CO, BU , MP (less than BU, CO) , sometimes from UTG. You can throw in some deceptive 3bets with them (on lower limits it is not neccesary). You can call raise from BU. Less from CO, MP.
      About Cbetting there is a thread on NL forum. All concepts apply to low limits also. About bluffing - you have to detect bluffable opponents, but it works.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Yes posistion is everything, agreed :]

Not to limp, would you say this goes if its been limped in front of you aswell, simple raise or fold? Would you say at these low limits your pre flop 3-bet ranges should be looser or tighter as villans are likley raising loose, but i guess they will also call looser so tigher 3-bet ranges than higher limits?
      With mid pocket pairs on the flop i profer raising than calling ot know exactly where i stand, if they re-raise i know im beat, and if they call then im 95% sure im ahead (dependent on board texture). Ofcourse i theres the added value in them folding or so i feel.
      You say you feel your 22/17 isnt very good. What would you say is good? I'm currently playing a 20/16. My AF is 4.2.
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      Limping: I occasionally limp, but I feel that it is better to not do it. So yes raise or fold. 3bet % can be the same but you hands should differ depending on your opponents. If you 3bet with something like 87s , 98o etc, you mostly rely on FE, what you get from better opponents. You should 3bet more KQ, KJ type of hands, that have some TPGK value. If they call your raise loose, you can see yourself ahead with TP enough often.
      This midPPs on flop thing is arguable yes, there is a thread in NL forum about this also.
      I just think that VPIP and PFR could more close to eachother - it means mostly calling less raises (cause I avoid limping).

And about 6max there is a free quide: Ryan Fees 6max strategy guide (google it). It applies mostly to mid stakes, but it helped me a lot (NL10 - NL25).
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      im playing NL30 and IMO i re-raise pairs, sometimes suited connectors in position.

I proberly play too agressive but oh well :f_biggrin: as long as you don't do this every hand then it's all good. Also 3betting more frequently gets you more action on big hands :f_cool: which we ALL like!
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      im playing NL30 and IMO i re-raise pairs, sometimes suited connectors in position.

I proberly play too agressive but oh well :f_biggrin: as long as you don't do this every hand then it's all good. Also 3betting more frequently gets you more action on big hands :f_cool: which we ALL like!
      Well it depends on yoyr win rate ;) If its good then your not playing to aggressivley lol.

how does your play varrie from UTG & UTG+1 against CO & BU?
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kosmonaut111
      And about 6max there is a free quide: Ryan Fees 6max strategy guide (google it). It applies mostly to mid stakes, but it helped me a lot (NL10 - NL25).
      The site is down atm X( I'll check back later and hopefully can have a look. Thank you =)
    • xero100
      xero100
      Bronze
      I uploaded good reading
      http://www.speedyshare.com/files/19348213/fees6max.pdf
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xero100
      I uploaded good reading
      http://www.speedyshare.com/files/19348213/fees6max.pdf
      Thanks for the link...I was having trouble getting on fee's site.
    • tuomasta
      tuomasta
      Bronze
      fees 6max strategy is best 6max strategy guide allowed for free. It can be downloaded directly by fees own homepage.

google it
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      pretty much ATo+, 65s+, T9o+ 22+ from UTG and looser as u close to the BU. and don't forget to 3bet/4bet like a maniac
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      pretty much ATo+, 65s+, T9o+ 22+ from UTG and looser as u close to the BU. and don't forget to 3bet/4bet like a maniac
      So pritty much raise and bet until the sun dont shine!?!?

I asume hands like: 9-7s, 6-4s, Q-9s etc are all very playable and raisable in posistion?