beating midstakes for 50 000$ in 1 month

• TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      heyho!

TLN back in the business; see the introduction of the blog: monkeymode by TT & me for some more info. To summarize, I am a 23yo selfmade pro who dropped uni a while ago to pursue poker fulltime /again.. i did for ~half a year before/. My ambition is to first and formostly to get better as much as it goes and prolly play real high stakes games if i do well later. I plan on shooting NL2k within some short period of time, tho i need some more game experience coz lately i ve spent a lot of time fooling around in school so couldnt rly play poker.

I ll most prolly move to Malta in time to come to live in some nice villa together with other fully dedicated plrs. I figured out it was abt the right time to motivate myself to bring my attitude closer to pure profesionalism. /since i still do quite a lot of easy easy mistakes, and dont analyse too much.. need to work on that a lot!/

ok so since i decided to pursue this as a carreer, i have thought of different ways of stimulation. And as many of more experienced plrs might notice, as soon as u start earning "pretty" decently its no longer abt money that much rather than challenges. I d like to establish some nice fanclub of mine /sofar only 7 fans?! :P , to which i can turn to when needing fe encouragment or so, on the other hand, i will try to support u with some nice commentaries of some hands or funny stories from the tabs..

My dream is basically to play some high stakes proclaimed pros, see my profile for the exact list. I also would rly like to some day get into position where i could face my biggest idol sofar: Durrrr and play competitively against him. I am trying to be implementing a lot of his play to mine actually, tho I have even developed some pretty nice mindfucking lines of my own, which are quite succesful sofar.. lets see how that changes with higher lims

I am very far from all this still, i need a lot of training, and a lot more experience. Still play poker only for a bit more than 1year, but i consider myself capable of moving up still. I use some pretty conservative roll, coz psychlogy is more than any BRM imo, but some deeper roll wouldnt do me any harm, so after some contemplation I ve set up my goal for: 50k$ of wr in 1 month /pure wr, so no bonuses, no rakeback included.. which in 1 month with my nice volumes and nice promos even just those are quite nice, but i just wanna be beating the game./

I ll start this challenge within few days, still moving part of roll to another site so i can play at more, not being hindered by possible traffic problems.

I ve always been an extremist and to demonstrate this I am willing to:

A, dye my hair to w/e color most ppl suggest if i fail

B, shave my eyebrows if i dont go above 30k$

C, shave my whole body if i dont even go above 20k$

/and ofc.. i will go out and make pictures of how ppl react :D might be funny..

/remark: goal achieved is: whenever i pass 50k$ mark within that 1 moth, coz i might want to play more hands, if i am finished earlier, if i drop then, it doesnt affect the outcome of the challenge, similarly with 30/20k

Overall, I hope this experience would be both funny and valuable for me and for u, the followers. If I manage to inspire u somehow by doing well, pls be my fan! :D :P
  • 133 replies
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Hey TLN, sounds like a very interesting and demanding challenge. I wish you the best of luck with it!

Would you care to give us some more information, like what site/stakes/sessions you'll be doing and that sort of stuff? Would be nice to follow a few of your sessions and watch an amazing pro like yourself play Live and stuff.

Best of luck!
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      You already went for 50k once, right?=)

Its sick challenge =) And i like those =)
      What site will you play at?=)

Its awesome you managed to get to where you are in just 1 year ;)

Also did you experience any hard struggling or did you think about quitting poker in any time in that 1 year?=)

Also do you think its possible for everyone to simply learn to beat lets say NL200-400 or there is some sick talent needed?=)

Gimme teh answers and i might become ur fan :f_biggrin:

Good luck with ur challenge!=)
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      im a fan
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      hi guys thx for 1st input & wishing me luck, i ll reply shortly before going to bed for now:

@all & pablomeza: during the challenge i will be providing regular, tho not daily updates / i consider 1update ~5 days enough, so that i dont overpush if i feel i am losing and it might just be a downswing/.. I ll be playing on Stars & ipoker combined with limits 400-1k i basically just play where i feel i can rob some easy fish, i am alw creating a lot of new tabs, playing HU vs fish, SH, or FR, on 1k there are rarely full FR tabs so most of the play could be treated as SH. If there are just good regs everywhere, i quit 1k coz variance is a bitch and play lower lims for easy and safe hourly (wanna work on this too, coz want to be facing more better plrs for stimulating competitive spirit --after all this is a game right? who cares abt money? :P :D ) . Also, when i want to have fun, or there are some rly sick fish i play just 200 or even just NL20 or 50 :D /usually when totally drunk after parties/ my goal is to have fun, play regularly, and force myself to improving, coz i feel i am stagnating for last ~1month

i will be providing session reports with graphs, and will be marking the most interesting hands for later session reviews for some video maybe for ps, or i just post it somewhere. I want to keep my nicknames secret though.

@JuiceQuadre:

yea, i went for it in August, which was bound to be a losing effort of esp 3 reasons: 1, traffic is lower in summer 2,i didnt have more accounts on different platforms which i now do have, so can switch 3, i do sport quitre regularly, and i managed to injure myself while speedskating and had a swelling knee from the 4th day which was unlucky, coz i was already @7k at that time. Now i am ready to be more cautious and focused :)

Q: Also did you experience any hard struggling or did you think about quitting poker in any time in that 1 year?

well..i am the biggest luckbox ever or sth maybe :D but i never experienced any diffulties in passing each limit up to 1k, now at 1k i feel the competition is solid enough, so i feel i need to work on my game more, coz its not soo easy to beat it as lower limits. Before that, from my experience, i think the biggest change is between 200 & 400. Whereas on 200 there are still many weak tags and abc nonthinking automats, on 400 many ppl at least attempt to think deeper, which is rly nice, coz i rly enjoy leveling wars :D

Q: Also do you think its possible for everyone to simply learn to beat lets say NL200-400 or there is some sick talent needed?

i think anybody who is selfcrical and objective and a gamer is sure to beat those lims with time. I have been learning for school a lot in my earlier years, played quite a lot of pc games and then played chess actively /started rather late tho/.. so i am used to be sitting still motionless for hours, which i think gave me some advantage over maybe avg plr /i did many 10h+ nonstop sessions/

@fun101rockets: (bow)!

generally i party almost every weekend and do sports at least 2-3 times per week and have some social stuff, like flirting with single hot women :D :P .. but i rly want to play ~100k hand per that month, usually when i play i have decent wrs, so i think with good volume and steady pace i should manage it. The goal is definitely realistic even if i didnt even play 1k tabs, where there is a lot more variance than on lower lims, which might give me some hard time if i run terribly badly..

i ll start this challenge in about a week from now, need to prepare esp physically more, work out in a gym esp, coz i get tired a lot sooner these days.. deffo more endurance needed!
    • NymXXL
      NymXXL
      Bronze
      Oh you are sicko! But I don´t want to discourage you but even if you are one of the best NL1K regulars it will be really chalenging. I wish I would have same goal in one year. Now I am strugling with 10K/month goal :) . If you managed to make that 50 K you will be my new poker hero .
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      Originally posted by TheLastNail

I ve always been an extremist and to demonstrate this I am willing to:

A, dye my hair to w/e color most ppl suggest if i fail

B, shave my eyebrows if i dont go above 30k$

C, shave my whole body if i dont even go above 20k$

/and ofc.. i will go out and make pictures of how ppl react :D might be funny..
      Sorry, but I hope you fail..:( :p
    • PokerRoad
      PokerRoad
      Bronze
      You make this goal & i'm in your fan club thats it ..But if you fail you have to be in mine :D
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      gl for that challenge man!

dont forget gerv is visiting us in december and we need to party hard 3 days! u might take those 3 days out of the challenge.

however, i personally dont think u'll make it sir. sry, but 50k pure winrate in 1 month with midstakes is rly rly sick. u need to play ~ 250-300 hours in pure a-game mode with table/seat selection.

it will also start hurting u when i go out weekends and tell u stories about some sick stuff when u just played this stupid game at home :f_biggrin:

by putting that sick amount in, u also need to do some workout .... which will take some time ... also, there might be days where u are a bit tired.

i rly bet against this challenge (ofc i wish u all the best for it, and when u make it, u should rly start coaching me :f_grin: )

if u make it, i'll become your fan too. i have no idols so far. u would be the first then.

gl and keep us posted
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      wauw sick, I wish you all the best!

I am going to ask for your signature when I am at your place because I think it sells well on eBay in case you are the next poker celebrity :D

cu soon
    • thebigheizung85
      thebigheizung85
      Silver
      I'll be your fan for a free coaching anytime ;-)
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      TLN you should buy book "poker mindset" coz this kinda challenges are bullshit.

i didint read whole thing ...but seting up 50k/month is wrong aproach.
    • ksh198
      ksh198
      Bronze
      why would this be wrong. I think it's good if he thinks it too. Just beacuse you read one book and got an oppinion from one authour doesn't mean he's right, he just write what he thinks. People look on challanges differently and maybe TLN think this is the best way. But sure you might be brainwashed and easy to change your mind just because reading ONE book.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      ksh198... just lol ... i dont need to argue with you.. you are probably lost case
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      @Snodreliss: yea, i wont make it too much of a big deal if i fail, but i rly want to try hard, always wanted to have some sick color of hair.. like green or sth.. or losing eyebrows is also quite sexy i think :D .. just not to have some facial expressions.. pretty cool :D

@TT, thebigheizung85, PokerRoad: great! i rly wanna have a big of a fanclub so that it inspires me to play better and better. I think a lot of professional sport is played just for fans and for the joy of it.

@miskokvo case: i think i have a good pokermindset, i have worked on it quite a bit, and i dont think i have fe any tilt issues, also: i play mostly for fun rather than money. However, the problem is, i am recognizing a lot of buds of laziness beginning to sprout in me, so i needed to do sth with this. I dont think i would need to play more than 5-6h/day for this challenge, tho its possible i would if i run somehow badly. I definitely would not play more than 10h/day at any cost.. maybe just few sessions, but then i take a day or two break or so. The thing is as u ve admitted that u havent read through all of my ambitions in the challenge prolly.. my biggest goal is (by far): to play good and push myself a bit more towards analyzing my game. I set 50k because i think my hourly should naturally get me there with this approach, but it will for sure get lower with time as i get tired, but we ll see. I :heart: challenges :P

@all: all posters pls vote for which color i should dye my hair to if i fail. As said, we party a lot, also with TwiceT, so he ll sure take pics of it @ some disco then :D .. might get me a lot of babes actually :D that would be sick.. win/win situation :D Or what other punishment u suggest in case u have an idea of sth funky (but with no permanent effects pls :D )
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      muhahah some serious discussion going on here ;)

i know "poker mindset" by hilger. great book imo. i read it even twice.

i personally also dont like specific $ challenges too much (although we made it in berlin as well, at it was no prob).

however, everybody has his own way of making a challenge. i dont put $ challenges, but challenges of how many hands to play and stuff. i dont want this money-pressure when i play. i just wanna play a-game all the time.

but tln might need this pressure.
      that said, i think this challenge is rly difficult.
    • vladd20
      vladd20
      Bronze
      miskokvo i think this kind challenges are good if you dont pressure yourself with the goal....for me it s always nice to have a goal even though i dont make it ... i still tried to do something....but it s not failling if he doesn t do it.....like in life if you set yourself higher goals than others even if you don t reach them you ll still have achieved smth like donald trump once said.... the most succesfull man are the ones who failed the most
    • JohnnyChrist
      JohnnyChrist
      Bronze
      A little less conversation, a little more action please. :)

Good luck man, this will be interesting. :heart:
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      same opinion as Twice...
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Originally posted by vladd20
      miskokvo i think this kind challenges are good if you dont pressure yourself with the goal....for me it s always nice to have a goal even though i dont make it ... i still tried to do something....but it s not failling if he doesn t do it.....like in life if you set yourself higher goals than others even if you don t reach them you ll still have achieved smth like donald trump once said.... the most succesfull man are the ones who failed the most
      in that case im pretty succesful

and gl on the challenge!! :D