FTP to $ via tourney entries?

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I have 12K FTP and I want to find the most reliable way of turning these points into $.

I play 9 man SnGs normally, turbos by preference. I can't find any such tourneys with FTP buyins that pay cash to the winner. They all seem to pay the winner a prize which is entry to another tournament...

Is this correct? Is it possible to trade the tournament entry that we have won into $ in some way?

Some FTP buyin SnGs pay the winner with a $26 satellite token and again, I want to understand how to turn such a token into $.

Has anyone any practical experience of doing this? Without this I find it difficult to work out how to get value for my FTP since I don't need most of the things in the store.

Help appreciated - willing to be flexible about what I can play but I want to avoid long MTTs as big chunks of time are a problem.
  • 14 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Unlike Stars there is no simple way of turning your points into cash. As you said most ftp buyin sngs award a token to the winer. Those tokens are piece of crap though since you cannot use them to enter multiple tourneys with lower buyin you just have to enter those 26 or 75 dollar sngs so you basically have to win two tourneys to see any money.
      I got a bath robe from full tilt for 11K pts which was good value and is pretty nice and comfortable as well. Other than that I'm just saving up my ftps for some kind of electronics or something of that sort..
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      the 275FTP sat to the daily double will give you $12 in T$ you can use this to enter any tourney
      First place only so you need to play a bit looser
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I put a two $1 stripper money in and won with quads!
      Would you believe it 4 $1 stripper money, cant be rigged...
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I don't mind the principle that I might have to win two tournaments to see $. If we are a winning player overall, we can assume we will win more than our fair share of tournaments.

So, e.g. if we have ROI 10% we can assume to win 110% of the buyin in the longterm.

A rough calc I've done gives this: 600 FTP gives entry to Tier 1 9man SnG. First prize = $26 token. Assuming this is ultimately worth $26 in cash (because eventually we can achieve a cash payout) we get 600 FTP = $2.89 (1/9 of $26). This works out at $0.0048 per FTP.

Compared to items from the store, we get: "Small Stakes Holdem" priced at 8100 points. According to the above calc this equates to = $38.88.

I can buy this book on Amazon uk for £12.24 (around $20), so instinctively it seems I'm better off spending my FTP on Trny entries than store items.

Any further thoughts on the above?
      Thx,
      Tim
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Remember your rakeback will be affected
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Compared to items from the store, we get: "Small Stakes Holdem" priced at 8100 points. According to the above calc this equates to = $38.88.

I can buy this book on Amazon uk for £12.24 (around $20), so instinctively it seems I'm better off spending my FTP on Trny entries than store items.

Any further thoughts on the above?
      Thx,
      Tim
      Yup, one - you calculated the price wrong. Money is deducted from your net rake, not rakeback, so for that book you have to pay 8100 * 0,005 * 0,27 = 10,9$ and with the shipping expenses included I find that quite a good offer. :)
      Bronze
      Since OP is a SNG player at heart, I suggest going for the $t then just using them to join your
      usual SNGs untill they naturally convert into real money thorugh your winnings. I myself was
      looking to turn my pile of points into cash, and All I found was the 50 FTP buy in sats to the
      daily dollar not double like i mention below which only paid me out in FTPS...

However the idea a few posts ago has is really worth it. You use your points to get into the
      Daily Double Sat. When you win, you just unregister from the Daily Double. This will put $T in
      your account. You can convert the $T into real $ at a cost of something like %5. Again another
      reason why Full Tilt SUCKS compared to Stars because on Stars you can trade with anyone at
      any rate.

Since like I said you play SNGs anyhow, $T is usable to join any Tournament with any buy in
      untill it is used up. So you play a pile of the Sats, you make a pile of $T then you just register into
      your normal SNG of choice using $T instead of $. There is an option when you register for the SNG
      for which one you want to use. When you place in your SNG you get paid in real $ so it converts for
      free as you play.

Hope I made sense of it all.

The problem with the Tokens is they only allow you to play 2 specific buy ins. If you could split
      the $75 Token like you can $T for example then you would not have to play in such a high buy in
      SNG to see your cash. IDK about you but I dont play $75 SNGs so I think it may be a bit tough for
      me yet.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      That's really helpful, thanks.

To check my understanding:

1. If I use FTP for satellites and win, I can unregister from the relevant tournament and receive T$ instead of my entry. These T$ can be used in place of real $ for entering regular SnGs.

2. However, if I use FTP for SnGs with a token as a prize I can only use these tokens for a tournament of exactly that buyin (i.e. $26 or $75)?

So, with the satellites, I gain flexibility.

The main other issue for me is the overall profitability of playing in these satellites. Assume I only have a certain amount of time each day for playing and can only play a certain amount of trnys at the same time for reasons of concentration, it could actually be less profitable for me to play a sat for 'free' using FTP than just an additional regular SnG...

@Berkstajger, I think I wasn't clear enough, or maybe I misunderstood you.

If I have some FTP, I can spend them on Trny entries or on items from shop. I lose some PS RB either way (at same rate of $.005 per FTP *.27) so I don't need to consider lost rakeback when deciding how to spend the points. I only need to consider the $ value of the thing I'm buying (either Trny entry or book etc). Well, if the $ value of the Trny entry is more than the shop item, then it's better to spend the FTP on that, isn't it?

If I spend 600 FTP on a trny entry for $26 token we can say my entry cost is equivalent to 1/9 of $26 (i.e. $2.89). If I spend 8100 on a book, this is the equivalent to 13.5 of these tourney entries (8100/600), i.e. 13.5 * $2.89 = $39.015. And, since I can buy the book for around $20 on Amazon etc., this doesn't seem like a good deal compared to trny entries (ignoring RB lost as it's the same either way).

Is that right?
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      That's really helpful, thanks.

To check my understanding:

1. If I use FTP for satellites and win, I can unregister from the relevant tournament and receive T$ instead of my entry. These T$ can be used in place of real $ for entering regular SnGs.

2. However, if I use FTP for SnGs with a token as a prize I can only use these tokens for a tournament of exactly that buyin (i.e. $26 or $75)?

So, with the satellites, I gain flexibility.

The main other issue for me is the overall profitability of playing in these satellites. Assume I only have a certain amount of time each day for playing and can only play a certain amount of trnys at the same time for reasons of concentration, it could actually be less profitable for me to play a sat for 'free' using FTP than just an additional regular SnG...
      That depends, I used to do this on Stars, there is a 210 point Sattelite for 20 players where 6 get a ticket to an $11 Tourney.

Now these games are FAR FAR FAR softer than your average even $1.00 SNG. They have every branch of the
      fruit tree so to speak. FL players, NLH players even OMAHA etc etc you name it who have no idea what
      a SNG even is, never mind how to fold your way into an easy ticket for $11.

So they take less than an hour to play out, infact I beleive they averaged at the same as a turbo 9 man SNG.
      They also compare to being as easy as play money SNGs and this is NO JOKE.

So very easy winnings convertable into real $ by playing your regular SNGs is worth spending say
      1 day just grinding out your points instead of buy ins. Yes the payouts may be smaller than your
      normal SNGs but far easier to attain a win and you can make a more direct use of your FTPs...
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      If you use FTP to enter satellite, and unregister from main event - you get FTPs, not T$!
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zamoda
      If you use FTP to enter satellite, and unregister from main event - you get FTPs, not T$!
      Ok this explains alot....

I noticed when I entered the Daily Dollar Satty with 50 FTP i was paid in Points.

But the poster a few post ago said the sat to the daily double was paid in $T...

So if you enter a satty with real money you get paid in $T ffor withdrawing and if you enter a satty with points
      you get paid in points?

Another reason why Full Tilt sucks hairy ass compared to Stars.

I emailed Full Tilt Support the question you are answering, and it took a WEEK for them to reply with
      an automated message pretty much saying I can use my points to buy stuff at the store or enter
      sattelites and tournaments. No mention at all how in the hell to find out what pays out in
      $T and what pays out in points.

Can anyone else please comfirm this is true????

EDIT***

here is the beginning of the email I finally got, by what it says it leads you to beleive that as long as the
      finall tourney you won the seat to is real money you can get paid in $T... But the daily dollar is real money,
      and it paid me in points..

Thank you for contacting Full Tilt Poker Support.

We're pleased to offer Tournament Dollars (T$) as a currency for our players to use on Full Tilt Poker.

You can obtain Tournament Dollars in the following ways:

* If you unregister from a real money tournament you satellited into.
      * If you win multiple satellites into the same real money tournament.
      * If you win a tournament that awards T$ as the prize.

Need comfirmation please...
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      * If you unregister from a real money tournament you satellited into.

This is a pure guess, but it may be that if you pay $ for a satty and then withdraw from the main event after winning the satty you receive T$ whereas if you buy in to the satty itself with FTP you only get FTP when you withdraw from the main event.

As I say, just a theory.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I will clear this up
      There is only one sat that I am aware of that if you unregister you get T$ not FTP's

It is the sat to the Daily Double A (or B) The sat is 275 FTP's if you Win and you have to win as only one place is paid then you get T$ not FTP's.

Do not do the daily Dollar for 50FTP's when you unregister from this you will recieve 200FTP's

Only the DAILY DOUBLE A/B

Edit: If the tourney you are sataliting into can be entered with FTP's you will be paid in FTP's when unregistering.

Good luck
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      MiniFTOPS starts in december. Save your points and play in some events. I personally have 23k FTP which i am saving for it. Don't waste FTP on sats into other tournaments, you just kill your rakeback this way. Every event tourney can be bought in direct for FTP at a rate of 200 FTP per dollar. Also, every week is the double deuce ($22) tourney on sunday. You can buy in direct to this for 4400 FTP as well.

This is by far the best way to use FTP.