[NL2-NL10] (2nl) Small pocket pair out of position - Raise or complete?

• anstaendig
      anstaendig
      Bronze
      $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Holdem
      iPoker
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($7.77)
      UTG+1 ($0.59)
      CO ($2.22)
      BTN ($13.53)
      Hero ($2.61)
      BB ($4.16)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 6 players) Hero is SB 8:spade: 8:club:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero ($2.6)?

If someone limps and I'm in the blinds I mostly try to isolate the limper with 99+. Here I raised 88 from the sb but before I saw his stacksize. Are smaller pocket pairs good enough to isolate a limper out of position with?
  • 2 replies
    • MaCe90
      MaCe90
      Bronze
      Against a shorty , I'd say isolate, because there are plenty of smaller pocket pairs he calls , and there are also a lot of high cards that call and can be taken down with a c-bet.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's fine as long as you understand that you'll be forced to play postflop on a lot of boards with at least one overcard, and that due to stack sizes you'll sometimes have to call it off a lot lighter than you usually would.

Say you raise it to $0.10 he calls, flop is J62r, you c-bet $0.12 into ~$0.21 he jams for ~$0.40 more into a ~$0.45 pot. You likely can't fold, it's not that likely for him to have Jx and it's hard for you to have anything too, so many players will shove overcards and other pocket pairs there.

It's definitely profitable in the long run when you play correctly postflop, but you might encounter tricky spots until you get used to it. As a general rule, you probably shouldn't fold postflop on dry boards.

Hope it helps.