Top pair getting beat by overpair.

• ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      How do you find out if someone has an overpair to your top pair? I have trouble figuring out who has an overpair. I lost my AQ to pocket kings after hitting the queen on the flop (he raised since he was first to act, i re-raised and he re-re-raised, by the time he made the second re-raise, it was too late to fold, :(
  • 5 replies
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      you re-raised preflop with AQ? That's something you should not do.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      you re-raised preflop with AQ? That's something you should not do.
      I agree, especially from UTG. 3-betting a UTG raise requires a much stronger hand then AQ. Unless you have a very strong read, I would fold here, maybe just call if in late enough position.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      I would probably just fold. As said above raise from UTG1 or 2 is usually strong, AQ is dominated most of the time.
    • ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      Sorry, theres some mis-understanding since the re-raise was made on the flop, not pre-flop. So he raised on the flop, i re-raised and he re-re raised.
    • ii40747
      ii40747
      Bronze
      The only way you can find out if someone has a big pocket pair is preflop betting round. If he re-raised a bet preflop or is at the early position and bets it's often trouble. After his bet on the flop you should start thinking about bigger hands than yours (mostly it's set or in this case overpair). Very important thing is also to track players game in previous hands. Is he agressive or tight, does he bluff a lot or very rarely ... This can help you a lot in making a decision. So your re-raise was a questionable move. I would be probably thinking to raise or just call depending on things i mentioned above but fold is also a good solution if a player that's betting has been pretty tight and played some good hands before :) Then if you call and know he's tight player, if he bets again on the turn - easy fold. If he's loose and agressive i'd probably raise, but not too much to see if he really has a strong hand. Then bad players that are not so sure in the strentgh of their hand or if their hand has some potenital outs but is not very good at that moment often just call your re-raise. That's pretty often sign of weakness... Then you're in front. And if I get a raise to my re-raise I'd fold very easily!

Hope this helps !