Do I bet or fold?

• Chuckychess
      Chuckychess
      Basic
      I'm using the basic strategy, as I'm just a beginner.

I'm on the button with pocket 8's, and two players have entered the pot ahead of me. Using the basic strategy chart, I call here.

The flop is J-7-5 rainbow.

If the two other preflop callers bet , do I raise, call or fold? Remember, I'm trying to follow the "basic" strategy guidelines.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me here.
  • 4 replies
    • LaughingMan85
      LaughingMan85
      Gold
      That's an easy fold, remember: when there is an overcard on the board your pocket pair becomes worthless!!!! so that also means you've got to learn to fold your kings when there is an ace on the board.
    • Chuckychess
      Chuckychess
      Basic
      Thanks, LaughingMan85. So, when my pocket pair is NOT an overpair to the board, I'll fold.
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LaughingMan85
      That's an easy fold, remember: when there is an overcard on the board your pocket pair becomes worthless!!!!
      :rolleyes:

Chucky, as a beginner you really better fold this, just because there is a ton of strategy and you can't remember all at once, so it's easier to play ABC poker. However when you'll play more hands and get to know the game better, you'll see that it depends on the situation, hand reading, player reading, your outs, your odds, position, etc. how to react in certain situation. You have special sections with judges lower on this forum, post your entire hand there and you will get the best answer.
    • Chuckychess
      Chuckychess
      Basic
      Thank you for your insights, Berkstajqer. At some point I plan to read Small Stakes Hold 'em by Miller, Sklansky, et. al.