Fixed-Limit vs No-Limit

• Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      I still haven't decided 100% which direction I want to go. So far (with real money,) I have only played fixed-limit. I enjoy it, I've done OK at it so far (basically break-even to slightly positive over 3-4k hands,) and I find it appealing due to the fact that there are fewer factors at play (it seems to me that psychology, bluffing, all-in, etc add several layers of complexity to no-limit that are not present or at least not as prevalent in fixed-limit.)

On the flip-side of the coin, no-limit is far more popular and prevalent. There is no comparison between the number of no-limit tables vs the number of fixed-limit tables on any given site. The general public wants to play no-limit as that is what they see on TV. All of this would seem to imply that no-limit games are softer, fishier, and "easier" (for an educated player) than fixed-limit games are.

So my question is...is it true? Are no-limit games (as a whole) softer and easier than fixed-limit? Are fixed-limit players (on average) more educated thand no-limit players and therefore more difficult opponents? It seems that fixed-limit is quite a grind, even for good, profitable players. I do however like the fact that a mistake in fixed-limit isn't nearly as devistating as a mistake in no-limit. Nevertheless, I'd like to put my learning and improving effort into where I am likely to make the most money.

Any thoughts or insights are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 7 replies
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      I would say that in low limits both variantes are fishy and easy to beat when you know the concepts. Bluffing isn´t working in the microlimits of Fixed Limits, but become a factor in the higher levels. I personal wouldn´t say that NL is more complex or fun to play then FL, both type of game have their advantages and disadvantages. Maybe you should try out NL (but if your Bankroll is to small start with the Short Stack Strategy who is not like the Big Stack Strategy in NL).

Find out which type you like to play and stay with it. Bad players you find either way at FL and NL tables. ;) But in the low limits of NL you are maybe able to have a higher winrate then in FL. ;)
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Thank you very much for the input Berliner. That is the main thing that I am looking for at the moment is a steady winrate to build up my bankroll. I have enjoyed fixed limit, but over several thousand hands (close to 10K between two sites,) it seems to be up $2, down $2, up $2, etc. I've had fun, but haven't really gotten anywhere. The last couple of days I've been playing the SSS and have been a steady and consistent winner...just what I'm looking for. I'll probably switch back and forth for a while until I decide where I want to settle :) Or maybe I'll just keep my hands in both!

Thanks again,
      Kknight
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Since you not playing at Party Poker I guess you will not face the competition with so many other SSS-Players, so your winrate should be good. But beware of the fact that with the SSS, your winrate in higher Stakes (NL $50 and up) will not be over 2 BB/100 hands. But SSS is a good way to build a bankroll. Since you´re an US-Player you saidly can´t participate at the public coaching, because its only held at Party Poker. Otherwise this might be an option for you to increase your FL skills.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Although I'm a US player, I am able to log onto Party and play the play money tables...and I can watch the money tables. Is that enough to be able to sit in on the coaching, or do you need a real money account at party to participate?

Thanks again,
      Kknight
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      That is enough, look around on the different sessions they are a great way to learn and see the different aspects of the game so check out the different types of coaching to see what suits you best.
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      It´s enough to be able to open the money tables at Party Poker to follow the coachings, because the coach will tell you which hand he is holding at a specific table. On what tables he is sitting will be displayed in the channel discription in TeamSpeak.

So look out for next weeks Beginnercoachings. ;) Maybe we see each other their. :)
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Good deal...I'll try to be there.

Thanks!
      Kknight