Etiquette Question

• Gamer135
      I was playing heads-up in a winner-take-all SnG the other day. My opponent and I had been trading the chip lead for a while.

At one point he had nearly a 2:1 chip lead on me. Suddenly, he sat out without saying anything. For the next few hands, I waited as long as possible for my actions in case he was suddenly called away or something.

Now, should I continue to wait for him to come back, and if so, how long? Or should I just say 'screw this' and start insta-raising?

That said, I would be a lot more tolerant if he had been disconnected instead, and I certainly would have waited if he had said something before sitting out.
  • 11 replies
    • fun101rockets
      blind him out and TAKE his buyin
    • Dragar
      insta-raise right away and take his Buy-in

Never ever wait.
    • randomdonk
      are u kidding? take his chips man!!!!!!!1 :D
    • opal99
      like everyone said: insta-minraise every hand PF! <1% of your opponents would wait for you ;)
    • Ejeckt
      If you really wanna be a gentleman, I'd say give the player no more than 3-5 hands before you start minraising and blinding him out :P

So yeah, it would be nice if everyone had proper ettiquete. But I don't think I'll live to see the day that happens. Personally, I think you should just screw the manners and take the cash :P
    • LiquidCity
      Had almost the same thing yesterday. In a 9-mans S&G I came HU. My opponent had a 5:1 chiplead and suddenly sat out... easy moniezz
    • Waiboy
      I wait a minute or two first - in case of an unexpected disconnect or other reason outside of the opponents control. Then there are better things to do than sit around watching time clocks.

This is clearly the extreme minority view, but I like to think that blatant opportunism shouldn't always the default course.

I know, I'm a whacky kinda guy. :f_eek:
    • noclaninator
      WTF!?! Poker is a competitive game with MONEY involved.

Every decision at every point is worth MONEY

Poker is about making the right decision that makes the most money in the long run.

The best decision in the long run is to raise his blind. Do it as fast as you can over and over again. They could reconnect at any time. Rebooting a computer takes less than a minute. Repairing a bad connection takes 15 seconds. The more you wait the more money they have.

As for etiquette, if anyone complains about your "bad" etiquette for doing this, tell them to go to hell and die.
      Thats like saying you are in the same 5 SNGS with another Reg, and you see he just got busted out of 4 of them in a row
      by people calling him with AA and he is all in and you have AA and your like, ah well Ill be nice and fold this one for him.

When he sits out, take the money!!

As a side note...

Be carefull raising people, you do not need to raise to collect a sitters chips only call.

Some people are actually there, watching the hands, and when you raise they sudenly come back and call.

So a simple call is all you need to take the pot.
    • steIIstuI
      it's -ev to wait :p

also if it's a turbo and the blinds go as high as you would be all in preflop? you want to flip or to win?
    • justkyle88
      I have to agree with most posts here.
      raise raise raise raise. no-one else out thee would wait for you.