Posting Blinds

• demioz
      demioz
      Bronze
      How should I play when posting the blind from Late position in full ring?

Most important question if Im first in should I always raise?

Can I use the chart for the BB how to play?
      Unraised pot; when to call or raise?
      Raised pot; when to call?
  • 10 replies
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      If you're first to act it's raise or fold. If you already posted blind in late position just check anything but raising hands, and fold to one raise unless your hand is marked as a raise in SHC. If there has been a raise + call just act according to silver chart (Calling/Raising with raises and callers infront of you).

Also all the other answers about calling/raising in un/raised pot are in the silver chart. :)
    • demioz
      demioz
      Bronze
      Ok so there is no point in rasing with more marginal hands than ususal to try to steal the blinds when half the raise is already paid?

I watched some video that if I heard right he said players often raise after posting and that I should do that also?
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Well, from mathematical point of view that is right because you have to pay less value for the same win of 3 SB, so maybe you could loosen up for a level - A7 -> A6(5?) for example. However I think this kind of adjustments are not advised for beginners because their postflop is usually not that good. If you feel confident I'd say go for it, because you definitely have some edge from mathematical point of view.

But that's just my thinking. I'm no expert and I can't remember when was the last time I played FL FR, so I think it will be the best to follow the advice from one of the coaches which will probably follow soon... :D
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Hmmm.. i think the best way to handle this dilemma is to not post blinds :)
    • demioz
      demioz
      Bronze
      Ofcourse you should post blinds if it is +EV.

I find myself posting blinds almost everytime I enter a new table. People usualy leave the table when the BB has past them and I get a seat at the BU.

Yeah I hope that one of the coaches as any advice on "post blind" play.
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Are you absolutely sure it's +EV to post blinds in CO like that, in Fixed Limit? I think that someone once said it's ok in NL.... but I dunno if it's also true for FL.
    • demioz
      demioz
      Bronze
      If you post in CO you can play 7 rounds until you are in the BB.
      So you pay 1/7 BB for each round.

If you post from BB you can play 10 rounds until you are in the BB.
      So you usualy pay 1.5/10 BB for each round.

So you get a discount posting from the CO. Also you have better position from the CO than the BB post flop.

To me this looks like +EV but maybe there is something Im missing.

Im still looking for a guideline on how to play in these spots.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi demioz,

it's true that you can post the blind on a full FR table.

If you post on (Or is it "in"?) the CO you get 7 hands for 1 BB so that's 0,14 BB for each hand.
      If you post on the BB you pay 1,5 BB for 10 hands or 0,15 BB for each hand.
      If the table is not full or if you post in a later position it's not profitable anymore (0,17 per hand when 9 handed).

It's also true that you left out the bad BB and SB position but you also miss the very profitable BU position so that equals it out.
      Whenever you post the BB on the CO you can raise almost all hands if there was no limper in front of you.
      That is because you only have to invest 1 BB to win 2,5 (1 BB, 0,5 SB and 1 CO). That means you need only ~28% equity with your hand which you should have almost all the time if you add the fold equity.

I would only check/fold very bad hands like the worst 10% like 72o, 32o etc..

If there are limpers in front of you you can isolate then looser as well. Maybe 1-2 kickers looser.
      f there is a raise you can call almost any suited hands and any pocketpair. The 3-bet can be a bit looser too.
    • demioz
      demioz
      Bronze
      Thank you very much. This makes sense to me now.
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Oh :P Guess I learnt something new too :f_cool: