travel advice: Sri lanka

• raun
      raun
      Bronze
      hi i want to go to Sri lanka for a week or 2 next spring and i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips and how best to do it and what i should see while there.

i could either book the complete travel incl. travel guide hotel etc which would cost around 2,5k$

or i couldsort out plain and hotel myself and do some sightseeing on my own via public transportation or local guide agencies.
      im not sure how much that would cost but i think it would almost be the same.

backpacking is not an option because i am traveling with my dad.

what would you recommend ?
  • 6 replies
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      My father was there couple of times and he always came back satisfied.

About the sort of travel it depends on you. If you're a kind of person that has to have everything sorted out in advance, then just buy some all inclusive package and you're done. However I would recommend to just buy a plane ticket and then go with the flow. People are very nice, food and accomodation is cheap, there's plenty of local guides, you have cheap car/motorbike rental and you're free to do anything with your free time not being attached to same schedules. And if you want some excitement, there's always the north part for trekking with Tamil Tigers. :D
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      so have you been there too or just your father?

how cheap is accomodation? i tried looking at some prices but it didnt really seem that cheap tbh. but maybe i was just looking the wrong place.
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      No, I haven't been there, so it's only second hand experience. I briefly know that he paid ~500 EUR for the return fly ticket and spend about the same amount of money on living real comfortable for 3 weeks there. However, he didn't stay in a hotel but in a rented appartment(bungalov) which are supposed to be very cheap... you of course pay it's price for Hilton everyhwhere. :)
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      wow thats cheap, and is that including food? i think maybe that is the way to go then. allthough i would want stuff like acoomodation to be sorted before i leave.

are the letters and numbers the same as we use?
      i think their english skills should be okay since its a former british colony.

i appreciate your help very much Berkstajger :D
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Yup, that includes food, drinks, rent-a-motorbike... everything. :) And it's almost all you can eat with their prices. :tongue:

It is true that was before the tsunami, but if anything, it should be cheaper now. My father was even giving some thought about building some appartments by himself there, but then with the crysis we have enough work to rescue our company from financial problems, so maybe some other time. :)

Oh, and yeah - on the other side you have all-inclusive tourists who spend their days in hotels eating wiener schnietzels (fried stake - Germans love it), go to some organized tours and pay a lot of money for that. I pity those kind of tourists because they never get to taste the real spirit of the land they're in. And I really don't give much about taking tons of photos on express sightseeing and then bragging about where you've been.

Afaik they use the same numerical/alphabetical system, so that shouldn't be a problem. And they all speak English. I can ask my father for a contact where he was staying and you can contact them them directly and find out what you want to know. :)
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      thank you that would be excelent.

and yeah i hate traveling like that as well. but sometimes it's better. like in countries that use a different numerical/alphabetical system and that doesnt speak english well.