[NL2-NL10] AA Preflop - Push or reraise?

• Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      This problem usually occours very often at NL 50. Blinds 0.25 and 0.50, some guy raises for 2$ into your pocket rockets. Now comes the problem, you usually shove all-in with any unmade or vulnerable hand, so how will it look when you reraise to 6$? Might as well put it all in?

The problem I'm having with the reraise is that it looks so incredibly strong, and it seems they're more likely to call if you shove it all in. Opinions? Has anyone actually tested this over a huge sample?
  • 5 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi Zervin,

A few thoughts:

1- If your 3bet = 1/2+ your stack then always shove, otherwise it looks suspicious.
      2 - Against other shortstackers I also prefer a direct shove, since they are in a push or fold situation.

But if you are up against a bigstacker and you don't have such a small stack you might prefer a normal raise. If he can see some FE for his 4 bet he might put you AI a little lighter and he might also be tempted to call your 3bet, which is usually a mistake since he never gets enough odds for that. Of course if you start doing this you'll have to think of balancing your lines so that you don't become readable.

I think you should always analyse the specific situation. The AI is always simpler and avoids complications post-flop, so keep that in mind. And post some specific hands here so people can give you more detailed evaluation.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      u want him to put as much money as possible into the pot. put yourself in his shoes and think how much u would call in his position and bet than amount.
      if i wasnt sure, i would raise to 4$ and then shove the flop so im getting it in in 2 stages and neither bet is too strong to scare a good hand.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      The only problem with min-3betting your monsters is that you get too easily readable. And it gets a little difficult to balance it out, cause when you have hands like AJ-AK you really don't want to give your opponents such good oods for a call since won't hit too often.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      one of the basic rules of poker "never do anything all of the time" :) although in NL50 this wouldnt matter a lot :P
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I will just go all-in unless he is capable of 4betting light against you.
      Mostly I only 3bet small if Im CO/BTN to prevent some kind of idiot calling behind you

- Gerv