Big slick question.....

• Diesel666
      Diesel666
      Bronze
      Scenario...

I was at the final table of a MTT with 6x the big blind, in late position with a A-K off. A player with the same chip stack went all in, I called. It was heads up and I lost to a A-J when straight came up.

Should I have folded when he went all in considering that we were almost in the money (payout to 8th place)?

My luck with A-K has not been so good so far that I am almost scared to go big as I lose most of the time.

Thanks

Diesel
  • 8 replies
    • lozz08
      lozz08
      Bronze
      It depends on the opponent. Was he tight or was he overly agressive and playing lots of hands? You've got to realise that AK is underdog against I think any other pair, so you've got to be careful. I'm undecided on this one, its borderline.
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      With only 6BB left AK is a snap call every time, doesn't matter how tight villian is. If you're opponent only has 6BB he's not sitting there waiting for KK+ to push, there are plently of hands you dominate (like AJ) and at worst you're usually a coinflip. You can't be scared of playing decent hands because they could lose, there is always a chance you will lose so you might as well make it as small as you can.
    • jessie11982
      jessie11982
      Bronze
      in an ideal world, on the bubble, fold. In reality, its hard to fold. Is going out with AK on the bubble really worth it. AK against AJ is a great dominating hand to be in with. AK on the bubble all in... You're either going to be one of three things, ahead by a little bit or behind a little bit, or miles behind and crossing your fingers for luck. It's that chance we take. Dont kick yourself for it though.

Off the top of my head, AK vs AJ preflop all in is around 75% - 25% in your favour. Forgive me if my percentages are a little bit out. AK vs QJ is around 65% 35% in your favour. AK vs any pair smaller than a King, is around 58% 42% against you (and thats if AK is not suited). If its suited, its as close to 50 50 as you're going to get.

P.S. Something that always helps me when i'm short stacked. It's not a definate rule to watch out for, but it happens pretty regular. If you have A10 short handed and short stacked, and you min and/or 3x raise, and a short stack min re-raises, generally, they've got a big pocket pair. Be prepared to swallow your pride, and your adams apple if necessary, and throw them away. One final thing, this is my opinion, and I am often wrong. Go with your instincts, they're usually right...
    • Diesel666
      Diesel666
      Bronze
      Thanks friends...

I tried some various things you outlined and came out of two MTT's today in second and 3rd place and made some $$$

Thanks again'

Diesel
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I think you should have made a move before getting down to 6bb. With AKo you should go all in unless it is already a multiway pot on the bubble. If there is a good chance to fold your way into the money you should fold. In Dan Harrington's book he even talks about folding AA pre-flop to move up in real money.

Good Luck
    • Diesel666
      Diesel666
      Bronze
      I agree with you Jonnyquest by doing something before getting to 6BB. I also agree with preserving a spot in the money. Today I was playing where one of the top chip leaders lost out with AA to to a straight on the river right on the bubble. Had they waited for one more person to bust they would have been in the money.

I lost an AK to an AJ with a J showing up on the river again today. Lost most of my chips but fortunately was able to regain them back and take 2nd place.

Crappy luck I suppose. Maybe I will just use AK when I am desperate for chips and gamble away.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi Diesel

If you enjoy MTT I would highly recommend Harrington's books. He has a 2 volume set on tournament play that has a lot of great ideas.

Good luck
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Diesel666
      Scenario...

I was at the final table of a MTT with 6x the big blind, in late position with a A-K off. A player with the same chip stack went all in, I called. It was heads up and I lost to a A-J when straight came up.

Should I have folded when he went all in considering that we were almost in the money (payout to 8th place)?

My luck with A-K has not been so good so far that I am almost scared to go big as I lose most of the time.

Thanks

Diesel
      You did the correct thing. Luck does play a role in poker.

Ignore that advice about the minraise/ 3bb w a short stack that someone posted earlier.

Harrington's MTT books now have 3 volumes (I think)