is it possible to win?

• egomans
      egomans
      Global
      OMG. i had 790$ and now im on 390$. ive run bad beats 2 months wide. I'm even starting to wonder if its even possible to win, i mean except a momentarry luck ofc.
      Ive tryed tournaments,sit&go's,cash games. nothing. everywhere i just get bad beated.
      good examples are today for instance- cash game- i have AA, i get 3 people in pot to 5BB,one is all in,flop J,6,2- i rise the other one folds, the last one has 6,7- and turn is 6. and i loose.
      then i lose with AQ against AJ all the time. well basicly you know the bad beat possibilities.
      and i checked how many bad beats or regular wins i had, and how many i lost that way- well to put a ratio- my win/their win= 1/7.
      mostly i loose cuz of bad beat, because i read them right but then mirecouly they hit what they need on turn or river.
      SO TELL ME THOSE WHO WIN, do you actually win or its just luck?
  • 15 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      lol. My advice is to fix a number of hands/SnG's per day/week that you feel confortable with and analyse your results at the end of the month. It doesn't hurt to learn as much as you can about the game, even if you consider you are losing because of bad beats.
    • JohnnyChrist
      JohnnyChrist
      Bronze
      If I read out that someone has Aces, I know that there is no way they can win, so I push all in with anything I get because I know I'll hit it.
    • lozz08
      lozz08
      Bronze
      Take a break for 1-2 weeks or until you find that one day you haven't thought about poker for the whole day. You will feel refreshed and you will then win (provided you can actually play.) This is what I did and it worked. Best of luck.

(PS sometimes you need to actually force yourself to get away from the game- try locking your computer away or something.)
    • mch123
      mch123
      Bronze
      1. take a couple of days off.

2. pick 1 form of poker and stick to it.

3. Before you start playing again, do some studying so that you are prepared.

4. Bad beats happen all the time. In cash you can easily lose 5 or 6 buy ins at any time. You can go 20 tournaments without even getting close to a final table. Its just the way poker is. How you deal with this mentally is what determines whether a player is going to be profitable or not.

5. Make sure you use a bankroll management plan that makes you feel comfortable when you are playing. There's nothing worse than playing a hand and knowing that if you lose it will hurt you a lot.
    • thebigheizung85
      thebigheizung85
      Bronze
      is it possible to win?

for 95% it is not possible to win in the long run and make a living off of it... face it... if you enjoy the game as a hobby, play it... if you have the dream of making a living of playing poker, invest some time and study, but give room to the possibility that your personality might fail in achieving this goal...

i simply doubt that you run bad JUST because of bad beats... i am sure a really good player here could spot dozen mistakes - in hands where you could have won more than you did, in others where you could less than you did - and therefore diminish your 'downswing' ... that is a reason why you should post hands in the sample hands forums (and not just the bad beats, but hands that were difficult to play and you weren't sure whether to valuebet on the river, check to induce a bluffbet or whatever scenario that might come up in a poker hand)

... and after that down comes the next up, if you truly beat your limit and are a good player

get your head up and make the others fear you :-)
    • thejugador
      thejugador
      Bronze
      Hey I hear your pain,
      I've only been playing for just over 2 months so I cant expect too much,but for the first month and half I wasnt doin too bad,but for the last 2 weeks its nothing but disaster.for example the last 3 times I hit pocket AA:1st time I was in bb and everyone folded before me.2nd time I was beaten by QQQ,and third time someone hit a full house with J2.anyway I'll keep going,the odds are that this sort of thing happens to everyone sometime.I plan to study more as Im certain experienced players have strategy's for the bad time,
      until then I'll continue shouting at the screen!!
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Bronze
      i just win cus im so much better than you that i don't care about being unlucky
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      The always straightforward sarcastic ihufa strikes again. :D

But he's gotta point. Post your hands into Hand evaluation forums and when you get 100/100 "well played" scores from judges... well then you can start question your luck. Until then there's always plenty of leaks to fix and just to be aware of that is a sign of progress. Just don't get drowned in self-pity and denial of your mistakes.
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      as ihufa said - if bad beats are making you lose in longterm - ur not playing right. a series of bad beats are supposedto slow u down, decrease profit, but still most of the time you should be able to end up +++ even with bad beats - they are a part of the game after all...
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Yup bad beats and variance are an inherent part of the game and they are the reason donks keep playing. Cause they remember a SNG won 2 weeks ago when they played the LAG (at least their understanding) and crushed everyone for 4 blind levels. So why not now too?

Embrace the beats, embrace variance, laugh at every cracked AA and KK cause they are coming back and bringing you more 4x more money than the money you lose.

This or quit the game lol :f_cool:
    • ksh198
      ksh198
      Bronze
      stop cry about badbeats for fucks sake, if you play good you will feel good no matter win or lose. So annoying with all these people who lost to some suckout and goes MOMMY MOMMY I LOST WITH AA. If you think your luck is bad just play 10k hands every day and it's not about luck anymore
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ksh198
      stop cry about badbeats for fucks sake, if you play good you will feel good no matter win or lose. So annoying with all these people who lost to some suckout and goes MOMMY MOMMY I LOST WITH AA. If you think your luck is bad just play 10k hands every day and it's not about luck anymore
      word!
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Totally unnecessary. If you find these posts annoying, why did you come to the downswing forum in the first place?
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Bronze
      yea man, not cool.

not cool
    • egomans
      egomans
      Global
      ok no swet about blaming me now. Im pretty emotional so...why to brake something in your house if you can just complain here=]

I came back from those 350. im at 2000 now.
      SO i kinda allmost triplled up my bankroll from the point i started to lose.
      and i guess MTT players only have this kinda thing.