Dealing with a limp-raise when playing the SSS

• Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      I've run into a couple of hands now where I'll have a hand like AQ in LP or the blinds. There'll be a couple of limpers to me and I raise in line with the recommendations of the Starting Hand Chart (4x BB + 1x/Limper)...and then one of the limpers will re-raise. Both times I've ended up all-in pre-flop and both times my opponent has shown AA.

Ignoring the fact that it seems to me like it's a bad idea for someone to limp with AA at a full-ring table...does the pre-flop strategy change any in the face of a limp-raise? Does a limp-raise still get treated as a raise behind?

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 4 replies
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Yes you should treat it as a raise behind you and either way push or would according to the strategy. In higher limits (I saw it on NL $50 a lot of times), players limp raises middle pocket pairs like 66 - 99.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Wow...quick response. Thanks for the reply Berliner. I'll continue to play it according to the strategy guide then. I guess it was just an unfortunate case where I ran into AA both times and was essentially drawing dead :(

Thank you very much for the advice! :D
      Kknight
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Actually you were not drawing dead. You still had some outs ;)

Concerning your limp-raise question: It is a fact that in 50% of the cases your opponent holds aces or kings. But in the other 50% of the cases he holds a worse hand. That means even with AQ you can play profitably against these limp-raises.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Hi Puschkin,

I didn't mean that I was drawing "entirely" dead, but my Ace outs were no good, I'd need two Q's to make them good, or I'd need to hit a straight or flush, so based on probability, I'd say I was a HUGE underdog :D ...but I do understand your point :)

Thanks for the reassurance...I guess since with SSS you are only playing premium "top 20" hands, it is still worth staying in pre-flop with a hand like AQ. I was just concerned since both times I saw a limp-raise it represented AA. I made notes on the two players that did it, but I'll continue to follow the guide regardless! :)

Thanks again,
      Kknight