This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Dealing with a limp-raise when playing the SSS

• Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      I've run into a couple of hands now where I'll have a hand like AQ in LP or the blinds. There'll be a couple of limpers to me and I raise in line with the recommendations of the Starting Hand Chart (4x BB + 1x/Limper)...and then one of the limpers will re-raise. Both times I've ended up all-in pre-flop and both times my opponent has shown AA.

Ignoring the fact that it seems to me like it's a bad idea for someone to limp with AA at a full-ring table...does the pre-flop strategy change any in the face of a limp-raise? Does a limp-raise still get treated as a raise behind?

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 4 replies
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Yes you should treat it as a raise behind you and either way push or would according to the strategy. In higher limits (I saw it on NL $50 a lot of times), players limp raises middle pocket pairs like 66 - 99.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Wow...quick response. Thanks for the reply Berliner. I'll continue to play it according to the strategy guide then. I guess it was just an unfortunate case where I ran into AA both times and was essentially drawing dead :(

Thank you very much for the advice! :D
      Kknight
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Actually you were not drawing dead. You still had some outs ;)

Concerning your limp-raise question: It is a fact that in 50% of the cases your opponent holds aces or kings. But in the other 50% of the cases he holds a worse hand. That means even with AQ you can play profitably against these limp-raises.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Hi Puschkin,

I didn't mean that I was drawing "entirely" dead, but my Ace outs were no good, I'd need two Q's to make them good, or I'd need to hit a straight or flush, so based on probability, I'd say I was a HUGE underdog :D ...but I do understand your point :)

Thanks for the reassurance...I guess since with SSS you are only playing premium "top 20" hands, it is still worth staying in pre-flop with a hand like AQ. I was just concerned since both times I saw a limp-raise it represented AA. I made notes on the two players that did it, but I'll continue to follow the guide regardless! :)

Thanks again,
      Kknight