[NL2-NL10] KJo NL10

• enemaze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, K.
      5 folds, BU raises to $0.35, Hero raises to $1.00, BB folds, BU calls $0.65.

Flop: ($2.1) 6, 7, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, BU calls $1.20.

Turn: ($4.5) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.30, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.5.

I wasnt sure if KJo is indeed strong enough to 3-bet, even though his BU openraise range was pretty wide.

Afer he didnt raise on the flop, i figured he didnt have a pair (that he would probably protect on this draw heavy board), so it was either slowplayed monster or overcards. I was pretty sure i could get better hands like KQ,Ax and small PP to fold, so i opted to 2nd barrel this pretty much blank turn.
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

I don't mind your 3bet preflop, KJo often isn't strong enough to simply call out of position. After BU calls in position it gets blurry without reads.

First off he shouldn't call there with too much crap, and whatever he called with should like this board since it very often misses you. Now depending on how he understands the game he'll either give you a ton of credit or none at all when you c-bet that board that's horrible for your range.

After that i think it's your limit background that comes in, no limit tags at nl10 often won't raise a top pair on the flop "to protect" because the only way you're continuing after you c-bet such a texture is if you have an overpair that crushes them, so they'll rather revert to calling in position and folding the turn if you continue firing on that fugly board. Also most of them aren't peeling that flop with A-high and especially not KQ-high, it's way too costly without reads in no limit. Try not to give people too wide ranges at no limit :)

Hope i managed to point out some useful stuff and it helps.
    • enemaze
      As much as this flop is bad for me, i dont see him hitting it too often either. I think he would fold the likes of A7 preflop to a 3bet.
      With all due respect to most NL10 players, i actually think a lot of them would call AQ+ or any FD on this board and peel a bet which i can get to fold with a 2nd barrel to any blank on the turn. I never assumed their range is as wide as in FL, and maybe i gave him too little credit. However, i think most players in NL10 would make a crying call with 88-TT on the turn, not giving too much thought to what im representing. But ill surely take what you said into consideration when facing reasonable TAGs in the future.

(BTW, in FL, a reasonable TAG would almost never raise (unless balancing or whatnot) the flop. he would call flop, raise turn with any good made hand :) )