Question regarding HU play

• wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Hi im playing SH for 2 months now and im kinda break-even atm. Im reviewing my game atm and in a few weeks ill recieve my Pokertracker license wich is going to allow me to play more read-based poker.

Anyway im reviewing my standard HU moves and i think i found some leaks.

Situation:

Raised pot, Opponent = agressor and im In Position.

Do i have to bet/call bet/raise (callflop/raiseturn) my middle and strong draws here?

If yes...i know that strong draws are OESD and flushdraws. But what are middle draws?
  • 5 replies
    • Ulek
      Ulek
      Black
      Playing good draws HU IP greatly depends on the type of opponent and board.

1) Opponent is a showdownbound fish who wont lay down A-high. Against these type of player, if you have a flop of all rags for example, you have small to none fold equity. Here you should play your draw passively, only calling, raising if you hit, folding the river if you dont.

2) Opponent knows where the fold button is. So now you have some foldequity, and should use it to make him fold better hands. The only thing to decide is where to semibluffraise, the flop or the turn. Lets look at some examples:

Villain holds: K:club: Q:heart:
      You hold: J:diamond: T:diamond:

a) The flop comes A:diamond: 7:heart: 2:diamond:

Villain bets. This is a nice spot to semibluffraise the flop. Villain might fold many better hands (K high, Q high, if tight even small pairs) directly to your raise. You have Foldequity here, use it!

b) The flop comes 6:diamond: 4:diamond: 9:heart:

Villain bets. Now if you raise here, he most likely wont fold all these Overcards like K high or Q high. This flop is just not scary enough to produce much Foldequity. So you should only call and wait for the Turn.

b1) Turn comes A:heart:

There you have a scarecard, you now have foldequity and should raise.

b2) Turn comes 3:club:

This card is totally unscary. Villain might not fold his A-high. Against most players on the lower limits you should just call this turn.

Of course all this depends on villains range. If he raises UTG and he only raises AK or AA from there you dont have any foldequity on A72 boards and should play passively. If he raises from the SB he has a much wider range, which increases your Foldequity on the A72 board dramatically.
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      So simply put Foldequity is the key! :D

Thanks for your advice again Ulek =)
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Nice post Ulek. :)

Btw a raise can be good even on an unscary board because you get the chance for a freecard at the turn. His depends again on the villain etc but is a good line as well. :)
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith
      Nice post Ulek. :)

Btw a raise can be good even on an unscary board because you get the chance for a freecard at the turn. His depends again on the villain etc but is a good line as well. :)
      Vs witch player type would u recommand this line ?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Passive ones who don't 3-bet very often but bet every turn if you just call the flop.

= most callingstations. :)