Deuces

• howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      I'm considering dropping deuces from my range at full ring tables almost entirely for all situations. I think it has to be significant that treys and up are winners for me but deuces not, maybe only ever making bottom set, wheel and 6 high straights, smallest flushes, the worst possible pair when unimproved and no kicker when counterfeited just tips them into unprofitability. Has anyone got a sample from big stack play, preferably full ring, that shows them to be a statistically significant winner? I don't think that they balance my ranges in any important way.

(Yes, I am aware that deuces should not normally be going to showdown, I'm not that stupid. Despite knowing this, they're still a loser for me, I'm trying to find out if this is true for most people.)
  • 6 replies
    • Ulek
      Ulek
      Black
      I'm not an NL-expert, but i dont think that smaller pocketpairs should show much difference in their profits. I mean you should play 22, 33, 44 etc. only for setvalue, and you either hit your set or you dont. With 22 there is a slightly higher chance to lose against a higher set than with 33, but that should not make it a losing hand. Maybe your have leaks in finding the right spots when to play for setvalue and when not.

Anyway, whats your samplesize?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Howard!

I had the same problem with treys at the beginning of my NL - poker career. 22, 44, 55 and higher pairs were profitable hands, treys were not. But when I played more and more hands this impression disappeared because the sample size grew. Whats your sample size?

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      80k hands lifetime.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Do you have PokerTracker or something similar which verifies your observation? The 80k sample size should be enough but even then there can be variances. Maybe you should play more hands (100-150k). Another proposal: Post some of your "deuces"-sample hands (as well as other hands) in our sample hands forum. Maybe we can find any mistakes?!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      This was of course based on poker tracker's starting hands statistics. I can see the mistakes myself, I do make plenty (although I'll try to remember to post any new hands with small pocket pairs that are dodgy); if you can win with them that's enough for me, I'll keep playing them for now.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      That's what I would recommend :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81